A question for cruisers.

RFM

remember those rules especially when the meteor strikes while your riding or when ninjas attack from the pathfinder next to you...... your rules clearly dont apply to EVERY accident.....:lol:

Of course not but they do improve your chances of ducking that first throwing star or running head long into a meteor hole in the road. ;)

There of course is no way to really prepare for zombies other than practicing by running over skunks in the road.:rolleyes:

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like some one said, its an excuss. Try this, take a piece of steal and rubber. Slide them down the street and see which one slides the farthest. The steel will slide much farther.

Hi and low side lay downs of a bike are a natural human reaction to avoid a possible accident but can be a controlled accident if understood.

A low side lay down happens when the rear tire is locked up, kicks out to either side of bike until the bike is down. Usually happens when in a turn and a hard break situation. A locked up rear will kick out much faster in a turn than on a straight and so takes more experience to control.

A high side starts out the same as the low side except that the rear tire was allowed to regain traction by letting off the rear brake. Once the rear even starts to regain grip it then trys to get behind the front tire making the bike stand up again. Which, depending on how far the rear tire is out, you may or may not maintain control. If just slightly out you may get a slight rush of that was close and maintain. But if way out it can throw you completely.

Low side lay down is the safest due to a high side you have no control of where and how far you are going to go but also, where is the bike which is more than likely following you. But a high side can also be used to throw you over that car that pulled out in front of you. The car absorbs the bike. Due payment ay. Just hope the landing area is grassy. Hope this helps....Ride safe.

well Hywstar... If the herd of deer I was approaching subscribed to your logic then I indeed would have been in error to lay the bike down. I'm not positive, but I am 99% sure that a herd of deer don't give a fuck about logic, statistics, or what you or others think. You can not predict the path of those things, only thing I knew for sure was that stopping the bike while leaned into a turn meant I was going to hit a frick'n deer. Oh yeah, that's right, bikes don't like to come to quick stops when leaned into a turn....

It's no cure for the problem and as AOW said, deer act randomly, but if you see one cross the road ahead of you there are likely to be more coming or at least nearby. So seeing the first might provide you with a few seconds to reduce speed before the next one follows. I get the feeling AOW was in a blind turn so this wouldn't have helped him.

JFC man....I simply tried to give an answer to the thread opener...not every situation listed,,(which seem to stray away from the answer only individual situations). You list as a Senior member on this site..if this is how a new member is treated let me the hell out...If this site is all about you then sorry..I wasnt informed..Logic tells me that if you want to talk about YOU or YOUR situation..Start a new thread...I dont believe I mentioned you or anyone else in my offer of assistance to the thread opening question...

Its your call in every situation...no deer were mentioned in the opener of this thread. Im not picking or whatever anyone but also wont take crap either.

I had hopes of only trying to help out and paint a picture to an answer...nothing else!!!

By the way...The safe riders course offered by Harley Davidson does instruct a hard stop in a turn..Check it out.

Edited by Hywstar

JFC man....I simply tried to give an answer to the thread opener...not every situation listed,,(which seem to stray away from the answer only individual situations). You list as a Senior member on this site..if this is how a new member is treated let me the hell out...If this site is all about you then sorry..I wasnt informed..Logic tells me that if you want to talk about YOU or YOUR situation..Start a new thread...I dont believe I mentioned you or anyone else in my offer of assistance to the thread opening question...

Its your call in every situation...no deer were mentioned in the opener of this thread. Im not picking or whatever anyone but also wont take crap either.

I had hopes of only trying to help out and paint a picture to an answer...nothing else!!!

By the way...The safe riders course offered by Harley Davidson does instruct a hard stop in a turn..Check it out.

holy crap I thought u were lighting me up there for a minute... but I'm not a senior member. :lol: dude your answer was pretty much the best yet on this thread. don't get yourself worked up cause one guy rubs u the wrong way.