Betting Pool: Teaching the wife to ride

Likwid

We're going over to her parents' tomorrow so she has to be more patient since she's asking me to do something.

So I'm going to get the bike all warmed up put her on it, have her walk it in neutral, power walk SEVERAL times..... then once down the street and back....

Any bets on how many times I get yelled at, time's she cries, physical damage to Scarlett........

Should be fun though, good experience for both

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was surprised at how well it went with my wife and learning to ride. The BRC was better for her, more structured, but I think if i had been through the BRC myself, I would've had her riding better, faster. I think there are a few threads about this if you do a search.

IP has it pretty correct (amazingly :lol:)

It IS a good idea to have someone else teach her. You'll be too quick to get frustrated, and so will she.

The dirtbike in a field is never a bad idea for starters, and you will be PISSED WHEN (not if) she drops your bike.

If you're a very patient person, and are ok with your bike going down, go for it! I've heard people tell of taking off signals, and stuff to keep from breaking them while teaching someone. The bikes used for the BRC have very few signals left on them. Even fewer had all the signals still in place!

That's a bad idea for a few reasons.

1. You should allow another female rider to teach her.

2. She should learn on a small' date=' four-stroke dirt bike in a field.

3. Your bike is going to fall down.. a lot.

Just saying... good luck.[/quote']

this scary and tru!! :eek:

We're going over to her parents' tomorrow so she has to be more patient since she's asking me to do something.

So I'm going to get the bike all warmed up put her on it, have her walk it in neutral, power walk SEVERAL times..... then once down the street and back....

Any bets on how many times I get yelled at, time's she cries, physical damage to Scarlett........

Should be fun though, good experience for both

My god man. Why? :???: What if she gets scared...pins the throttle and dumps it HARD? You got a trashed bike and she'll never want to get on a bike again. Is this to find out if she wants to ride, and get her own bike, or...just to know how to ride?

Either way, like IP said...i would see if i could get someone else to teach her. Either way, good luck to you...your balls and your bike. :D

That's a bad idea for a few reasons.

1. You should allow another female rider to teach her.

2. She should learn on a small' date=' four-stroke dirt bike in a field.

3. Your bike is going to fall down.. a lot.

Just saying... good luck.[/quote']

Mine got her own bike to learn on because there was no way in hell I was risking the 'busa, and I'd worry she might accidentally gun it on the Hurricane (when I had it, prior to the SV). So, she took the MSF, got endorsed, and we promptly sold her bike (2004 GS500F) - she says she'll never ride. It's too scary and mentally challenging for her to pay attention to all the things you need to do to ride a bike. She refuses to learn how to drive a stick car too. :(

But, like IP said... much better to let someone else teach because for some unknown reason, you're an asshole when you yell at her, but when someone else does it, they're 'teaching' her. :rolleyes:

much better to let someone else teach because for some unknown reason, you're an asshole when you yell at her, but when someone else does it, they're 'teaching' her. :rolleyes:

I've learned never to teach anyone that lives in your house anything you can do.

Although that didn't stop me from trying to teach the wife to ride. Two times I've tried. The first on the Triumph, lesson over in about the time it took me to get on the street. The second time on the honda. It will be hers if she learns how to ride. I had her power walking and just starting to get her feet up but then I think she started to get scared and wanted to quit.

I hope she learns soon because she is a horrible passenger.

Good luck to you though.

I've learned never to teach anyone that lives in your house anything you can do.

Although that didn't stop me from trying to teach the wife to ride. Two times I've tried. The first on the Triumph, lesson over in about the time it took me to get on the street. The second time on the honda. It will be hers if she learns how to ride. I had her power walking and just starting to get her feet up but then I think she started to get scared and wanted to quit.

I hope she learns soon because she is a horrible passenger.

Good luck to you though.

It doesn't sound like she wants to learn all that badly yet. My wife would not give up. She was determined, and that helped... Now the goal is to get her out on the road some more, but that's going to be next year, since it's gotten colder....

Edited by jporter12

+1 on your last bit. If I say it I'm being mean and raising my voice. If someone else says it' date=' even with a heightened tone of voice, they're teaching. I say, let 'em crash.[/quote']

oh this is the truth. i never seem to learn though. my gf always wants to learn shit i know how to do, and for some reason, i think, "this time it will be different". what a load of shit. :lol: