N. E. 300 mile ride 11-14-09

Uncle Punk

Home, nice meeting everyone. We didn't make it home without scratches but no one is hurt. I will not discuss until they have checked in.
damit , you mean I split off to soon ?

I ride a lawnmower.

a bad ass lawn mower :D bout time you changed that 08 zx10 out of your bike type to the new one isnt it , that is prolly the badest looking Buell Ive seen

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

damit , you mean I split off to soon ?

a bad ass lawn mower :D bout time you changed that 08 zx10 out of your bike type to the new one isnt it , that is prolly the badest looking Buell Ive seen

I joke I joke. It's no ninja in the straights, but it's a monster in the curves. More than enough to get the job done. It's just a different style of riding on a V vs the I4.

I've still got the Ninja....not sure what her role will be in my weekend shenanigans yet.

Inya,

What is your impression of the XB?

Ok..here goes.

My neck is sore from fighting the wind at 115 MPH (yeah..it actually does 115 +!!) following UP and R1. Nature of the beast with no wind protection. Noted for future reference.

I can flick the XB into corners with little effort. The upright riding style takes a little getting used to while leaning into the corner...but I'm fairly confident I've come to grips with it. The short wheel base is a curse and a blessing at the same time. The bike wants to fly in the air on a road like 555. I went airborne a few times...landing on the back wheel like it was MotoX. Good times. :D. I'm having to scrub off speed in the corner with the back brake (to make adjustments for something in the road) because the V doesn't let me engine brake like the I4, and tapping the front stands the bike right up. That short wheel base also allows me to be more aggressive in corner entries. It's a learning curve...but so far I like it. I wish the pegs were down a little further, but having come real close to dragging the pegs yesterday, lowering them would be a bad idea.

The stock tires were surprisingly sticky...although a tar snake almost did me in on 666 and I haven't had that problem on my BT016's.

I'll echo IP..this bike is under rated. I don't have any remorse.

I plan on getting the Drummer exhaust and then getting it tuned, plus some small cosmetic changes (clean the rear fender up, maybe a change to the front, dual head light mod, bar end mirrors or different stalks, seat).

I'm happy. :)

where at . everyone ok ?

I low-sided on OH-60 in a 25 mph corner. I was probably going 30~35 and the bike just kept going down as I transitioned into the corner. I wound up in the middle of the road and the bike didn't really even make it to the shoulder.

I'm fairly certain there was some sand involved, but Inya/UP made it through the corner OK, so I'll never be sure, but I certainly went through many more corners quicker earlier in the day.

The leathers did there job perfectly. The relatively low speed coupled with the fact that I was hanging off the bike a bit anyway resulted in almost no impact and zero injuries, other than my knee being slightly sore this morning. I'll need new gloves, but the rest of my gear made it through with surprisingly little damage. Needless to say, I will never do another even mildly spirited ride in anything less than full gear.

The bike actually made it through pretty well. The frame slider did it's job, so the damage was pretty minimal, and the bike was completely rideable, minus the rear brake (which I don't use anyway) lever snapping off.

All in all, I was incredibly lucky, and I thank all the guys on the ride for your support. I'll definitely be back out again.

Hey Hailwood, I remember I told you how interesting Rt.60 was when we were on that last ride, since we were on it after 83. I should have kept my mouth shut. Glad you are ok and that seemed like a slow speed for you in a 25mph turn. Especially considering I didn't see you when we hit Rt.26 except when we stopped for the Harley crash.

The leathers did there job perfectly. The relatively low speed coupled with the fact that I was hanging off the bike a bit anyway resulted in almost no impact and zero injuries, other than my knee being slightly sore this morning. I'll need new gloves, but the rest of my gear made it through with surprisingly little damage. Needless to say, I will never do another even mildly spirited ride in anything less than full gear.

+1. Definitely buying riding pants. No more jeans for me

Charging the battery for the digital camera - gonna get pictures for yer scrap book(s).

There still should still be scratches on the pavement!

Glad all okay.

I now have an aluminum "foot peg" available. Just needs to be drilled out. It'll be here at the first aid station and it'll be lite enough to mail back into the woods for the next use!

you guys all go down in the same spot or was there multiple incidents ?

I went down after Hailwood. UP and Inya were coming back to find us, they passed us going the opposite direction and as we were pulling over to wait for them I hit a patch of gravel and went down. Probably wasn't going more than 10mph.

What a beautiful day we had for a ride, too bad it gets dark so early this time of year. I didn't see traffic that bad all summer long; I guess everyone was taking advantage of our extra bonus summer day. Three of us left from up north, me, Inya and R1crusher. There was so much traffic we made it too Millersburg seven minutes late. We picked up three more riders in Millersburg, CleaveTheGreat, Hailwood and kzz21. We also met littlecarbsbigsmiles there who couldn't ride with us because he had babysitting duties until 1:00 but he brought the little cutie up with him so see us off. I told him we would be back about 2:30 on the way home; he said he would be looking for us about 3:00. (Somehow he knew better than me.) We start heading south on 83 and pick up 1000rrrider rolling through Coshocton.

83 between 146 and 78 is a really nice section of road that people should try if they are in that area. 555 was in really good shape. 1000rrrider mentioned earlier that 666 is now open, they certainly didn't waste any money repaving it plus crops were coming in so there was junk on it everywhere, it still beats going through town. They paved a few hundred feet then left some of the old road, and then they paved the outside half of the road for a few hundred feet. These sections have a great big gooey tar snake between the old and new pavement that tried to bite Inya and me. We made it into Warsaw and stopped for gas, this is where 1000rrrider left us to head home. Kzz21 lives in town but decided to keep riding with us to Millersburg.

At this stop I check my tire again to see how its doing and figure it was going to make it all the way home without cords showing so I was going to wick up the pace a little bit. I must apologize for this because I think it contributed to the two accidents that took place after this stop. Up until this point once I lost site of the group I slowed down on the next straight section to wait for the group, which helps give them someone to gage off of. I didn’t do that in this section and I left Hailwood hanging with a fairly brisk pace without any support up front. I didn’t see you go down, I’m sorry about that, this lead to the group getting so far separated that Inya and I turned around because we were pretty sure something had happened. This lead to mistake number two, the whole group passes us going the other direction; cool nothing happened maybe just had to stop for a bee in the helmet. We turn around to catch them but they are all pulled over waiting for us. Well the second spill happens when they pull over to wait for us in some gravel that was laying in the “Y” where a small side road meets 60. CleaveTheGreat falls down here, he is not hurt but bike is scratched up, mirror is gone and right side rear set is snapped in two with the peg broke off. Hailwood says he went down earlier but is undamaged for the most part, this is starting to seem like it’s not real. At this point it’s about 3:15 we are late getting to Millersburg so littlecarbsbigsmiles goes out on a search mission and finds us all parked on the side of the road trying to figure out what to do. Kzz21 has some zip ties and tape so we cobble things back together and ride to littlecarbsbigsmiles house to see if we can make some better repairs because CleaveTheGreat has an hour and a half ride in front of him to get home without a foot peg. It was nice to be off the side of the road with real tools to work with MAJOR rep for littlecarbsbigsmiles for all he did for us that day.

We all start heading home with the plan that CleaveTheGreat and Hailwood were going to split from us at 30 in Wooster but now we have littlecarbsbigsmiles following us to make sure everyone is okay and to offer even more support. We roll through Millersburg where kzz21 leaves us at the Speedway. We all stop together one last time together just south of where 30 crosses 83. CleaveTheGreat has found that he can rest his leg on the passenger peg and thinks he will be good to go the rest of the way home, at least he has Hailwood to ride with him so they can look out for each other or I would have been making a trip to Akron that night. The three of us rolled the rest of the way home at a fairly quick pace trying to beat the sunset.

I need to get bags mounted to this new bike before next riding season. It seems the better prepared I am the less I need them. You guys need to quit finding new and interesting ways to go down. I can’t cover them all in a pre ride speech. Pictures are available to be posted but would like approval from the injured parties, from none other than littlecarbsbigsmiles. (R1crusher have you found the magic button in your car yet?)

And that pretty much sums it up. Great ride..except for the minor mishaps...which even though I had nothing to do with..makes the bottom of my stomach curl. I hate to see beautiful bikes like that Kaw and the Triumph go down. Having the riders ride away makes everything better though.

The section of 555 we rode through was amazingly clean, and the southern part of 83 is nice riding. Even though 666 was dirty, it was better than the first time I rode it. Except for the tar snakes separating the old and new pavement. I thought I was going down for sure.

Great way to wind the season down.

Edited by InyaAzz
General stupidity

Good writeup... if I can't tag along, it's always nice to live vicariously.

Why weren't you there? I don't remember seeing you post a lame excuse. Don't tell me you already winterized both bikes.

More to the ride, we didn't see any law enforcement all day long but after kzz21 broke off from us he was pulled over but let go.