Woman Checking Mail Hit By Motorcycle

'03VstarSH

FRANKLIN TWP., Ohio -- An 87-year-old woman was hit by a motorcycle as she walked to her mailbox Saturday.

Police say Leah Wideman was struck around 1 p.m. on Vail Road.

The motorcyclist, John Goonan, attempted to stop, but the motorcycle fell on its side striking Wideman while she was in the roadway.

A medical helicopter sent her to Miami Valley Hospital where she is listed in critical condition.

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local/story/Woman-Checking-Mail-Hit-By-Motorcycle/fpdX389XeECXqW4E01_YFA.cspx

Shit! This not the kind of press bikers need. :(

How in the hell would it be anyones fault but the old lady? She walked out in front of him.

Lost a friend this last September because a pedestrian was in the middle of the road. The pedestrian is being tried for manslaughter.;)

my guess would be he freaked out hit the breaks and locked up the rear while trying to swerve at the same time and went down.

Here's a thought...... sweeeeeerve. Hellooo, or was that to obvious?

How in the hell would it be anyones fault but the old lady? She walked out in front of him.

I tend to agree that that is most likely what happened but these days it seems perception is more important than truth. I can just hear the non-riders(you know the type) saying "Damn bikers hit that poor defenseless old woman.....blah....blah.....blah." Of course, they are saying it while driving and shaving, reading blackberries, texting, or applying makeup. :mad:

Sure' date=' Sam.. because she was opening her mailbox in the middle of the lane. :rolleyes: I'm not sure I've ever seen a mailbox that you had to stand in the road to access. This is prolly a case of some jackass riding too fast and getting startled when he saw her. He locked his brakes, because he can't ride to begin with, and now some old lady is in the hospital because she wanted to start clipping her Sunday coupons.[/quote']

This is what I first thought. Long straight road, rider with too much speed not paying enough attention. I'm willing to bet though this is one of those roads where the lady has to cross the road to get to her box on the other side. Even still I doubt the old lady dashed out in front of him.

Sure' date=' Sam.. because she was opening her mailbox in the middle of the lane. :rolleyes: I'm not sure I've ever seen a mailbox that you had to stand in the road to access. This is prolly a case of some jackass riding too fast and getting startled when he saw her. He locked his brakes, because he can't ride to begin with, and now some old lady is in the hospital because she wanted to start clipping her Sunday coupons.[/quote']
but the motorcycle fell on its side striking Wideman while she was in the roadway.

Its quite possible that she had to cross the street to get to the mailbox.

Im not choosing sides here because there is barely any information on what happened, but lets not hang the rider just yet.

Sure, cuz no one here has ever seen some old person walk out in to the middle of the road without looking. IT'S GOTTA BE THE BIKERS FAULT!!!!!! The middle of the road is for pedestrians, not vehicles.:rolleyes:

Agreed, I see people all the time walk to their mailbox, get the mail then turn around and start walking into the road without even looking at the oncoming cars... not to say it ISN'T the riders fault, but I don't see him/her as 100% at fault either.

Here's a thought...... sweeeeeerve. Hellooo' date=' or was that to obvious?[/quote']

We went past a lady trying to cross to her mailbox on route 41 last week.

I slowed way down, because she wasn't looking at me.

I don't need someone running out in front of me.

I don't know what type of eyesight she has,

she could be near blind.

I'd rather just slow down...

my words, brakes, lots of them, early...

We went past a lady trying to cross to her mailbox on route 41 last week.

I slowed way down, because she wasn't looking at me.

I don't need someone running out in front of me.

I don't know what type of eyesight she has,

she could be near blind.

I'd rather just slow down...

my words, brakes, lots of them, early...

I agree 100%. Lets not crucify the biker before we've heard what actually happened. He could have been riding like an asshat. Or he could have been riding responsibly and she stepped out in front of him and gave him no chance to react. It's easy to criticize since we werent there.

Honestly though, if he had time to slam on his brakes and lay it down then maybe he should have had a better reaction and swerve. But like I said, I wasn't there so I can't say with any type of intellegence.

I agree 100%. Lets not crucify the biker before we've heard what actually happened. He could have been riding like an asshat. Or he could have been riding responsibly and she stepped out in front of him and gave him no chance to react. It's easy to criticize since we werent there.

Honestly though, if he had time to slam on his brakes and lay it down then maybe he should have had a better reaction and swerve. But like I said, I wasn't there so I can't say with any type of intellegence.

Exactly. A human isn't much different than a deer. (No offense intended to humans.) You don't want to hit one, and you will find it difficult to avoid one that is in the roadway.

Most riders haven't developed quick avoidance skills. Worse yet, I keep hearing that riders freeze up in most accidents, and don't hit brakes early enough, AND fail to maneuver at all. When the maneuver would have avoided a collision entirely.

I cannot count how many times I've used the entire roadway, both sides, including sidewalks to avoid a collision.

Most riders haven't developed quick avoidance skills. Worse yet, I keep hearing that riders freeze up in most accidents, and don't hit brakes early enough, AND fail to maneuver at all. When the maneuver would have avoided a collision entirely.

I cannot count how many times I've used the entire roadway, both sides, including sidewalks to avoid a collision.

msf courses help wonders with this stuff...........

I went onto the shoulder on Saturday because I didn't notice a van stopped short at a light... I could have braked MUCH harder but I decided not too lol

Was just better to maintain the brakes and go wide.

Shoot, I had one of those today. A little black sports car stalled out in the left lane. I got way too close before flicking around it. No brakes. Bad idea on my part.