Don't use your horn in Whitehall !

SWing'R

Try looking up Columbus City Code 2131.32A.

Unncecessary Sounding of Horn.

(a) No person shall sound any horn or other signal device on any motor vehicle or motorcycle except as a warning of danger.

(b) Whoever violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor.

Edited by SJC1000rr

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try looking up Columbus City Code 2131.32A.

Unncecessary Sounding of Horn.

(a) No person shall sound any horn or other signal device on any motor vehicle or motorcycle except as a warning of danger.

(b) Whoever violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor.

I would imagine most cities have such laws on the books.

Yeah, was just pointing to the fact that one has to be mindful of state and city laws. But I'm with the 'she layed it on" crew myself and was probably a bit to aggressive.

:plus1:

I just looked at a couple cities in my area, and they have such laws. They use language such as only to be used as a warning to other vehicles or pedestrians, etc.... Actually, Johnstown's ord. uses the ORC, then adds this to it.

Nobody's touched on my original point.... this was on private property. Does WHPD actuallly have the authority to write such a ticket?

I've always been told (even by LEO's) that they couldn't do anything on private property, I'm assuming for minor things, o

ne would assume that major offenses such as robbery, B&E, murder, etc etc trump the "private property" clause.

If she had backed into another vehicle the story would be different. Moving violations don't apply to private property. Disturbing the peace' date=' or other offenses like it, don't discriminate.[/quote']

I dunno, I think if I was her I'd fight it, never know, the judge might throw it out!

Nobody with two brain cells to rub together fights a minor misdemeanor in court. It's only a $120 ticket. Court costs alone will make it not worth the time or money..

I guess. I just think its bs. I honk my horn at people doing stupid shit all the time' date='

its the only thing that makes them realize they're doing stupid shit.

:wtf:

Ohio Riders > Time Wasters > Off-Topic > Don't use your horn in Whitehall !

Gun forum?

Kreator's apparently been breathin to much gun powder :rolleyes:

Edited by SWing'R

I guess. I just think its bs. I honk my horn at people doing stupid shit all the time' date='

its the only thing that makes them realize they're doing stupid shit.

[/quote']

Wow, really? You mean the people that don't know how to drive in the first place, the ones that almost run you over while on the bike? Honking the horn makes them realize they were being stupid?

Some traffic laws do apply on private property. Standard case is if there is an injury, or major property damage. Go ahead and hit the building's store front window and see what happens. Official traffic control devices aren't on private property, but failure to control is another matter. Reckless and no ops and OMVI all apply on private property. There's always a way to charge some one with something if necessary. Otherwise with the lesser stuff, you're on your own with your insurance company.

The not so funny case in Ohio; a 14 yo farm kid with an old car on his own farm can get a no ops and reckless for doing donuts in the field. But it's ok if he operates "farm equipment" with the proper farm license.

Whitehall, like other cities, can give OMVI on private property as soon as you put the key in the ignition. You don't even have to start it up. Whitehall also has an open container law that applies to any area in public view. Such as the front yard or driveway. That's also one reason we're not supposed to have open containers outside in the parking lot at KoC.

Whitehall also has an open container law that applies to any area in public view. Such as the front yard or driveway. That's also one reason we're not supposed to have open containers outside in the parking lot at KoC.

A few friends got tickets for this in Pataskala about 15 or so years ago. Myself and another guy just stepped back and sat on the steps next door where we were talking, and just minded our own business. The others were out near, or on the sidewalk with open containers, and got tickets. 2 of them ran, and almost made it a lot worse on themselves. This was during the street fair, otherwise I doubt it would've been much of an issue.

Whitehall also has an open container law that applies to any area in public view. Such as the front yard or driveway.

:wtf: Time to fucking move when you can't drink a beer on your porch or in your own driveway. Sorry, thats ridiculous.

Just one more reason NOT to live in Whitehall.

Dude.. Fuck Whitehall. That's some bullshit. Why would someone live in a town with such ridiculous laws?

It's an old law, for whatever reason necessary in the past.

I don't see it enforced at all, but it's still on the books.

Not likely to have an effect unless you're throwing bottles at passing cars.

And now I'm wondering if Columbus has a similar law.

I'm betting most cities have that law, seldom enforced.

:wtf: Time to fucking move when you can't drink a beer on your porch or in your own driveway. Sorry' date=' thats ridiculous.

Just one more reason NOT to live in Whitehall.[/quote']

Not sure if you're living in Columbus, but perhaps you should move immediately. All cities in Ohio pretty much adopt the same laws.

MUNICIPAL CODE - COLUMBUS, OHIO

2325.62 - Open containers.

(A)

As used in this section, "street," "highway," and "motor vehicle" have the same meanings as in Chapter 4511.01 of the Revised Code.

(B)

No person shall have in his possession an opened container of beer or intoxicating liquor in any of the following circumstances:

(1)

In a State liquor store;

(2)

On the premises of the holder of any permit issued by the Department of Liquor Control;

(3)

In any other public place;

(4)

While operating or being a passenger in or on a motor vehicle on any street, highway, or other public or private property open to the public for purposes of vehicular travel or parking;

(5)

While being in or on a stationary motor vehicle on any street, highway, or other public or private property open to the public for purposes of vehicular travel or parking.

©

This section does not apply to beer or intoxicating liquor which has been lawfully purchased for consumption on the premises where bought of a holder of an A-1-A, A-2, D-1, D-2, D-3, D-3a, D-4, D-4a, D-5, D-5a, D-5b, D-5c, D-5d, D-5e, D-5f, D-5g, D-5h, D-5i, D7, E, F, or F-2 permit, or to beer or intoxicating liquor consumed on the premises of a convention facility as provided in Section 4303.201 of the Revised Code.

(ORC 4301.62)

(D)

Whoever violates this section is guilty of having an open container, a minor misdemeanor.

(ORC 4301.99(A); Ord. 2535-94.)

Sorry, it gets worse. There is a state law also. Same law as everywhere else.

4301.62 Opened container of beer or intoxicating liquor prohibited at certain premises.

I don't think anyone is going to rush to move out of state.

Most other states will have the same law.

The point is, some cities enforce some of the laws very strictly. And it's pretty much whichever laws they select to do so. Most cities used to strictly enforce muffler and noise on motorcycles and cars. But most cities have given up on that. As with anything else, as long as we're not drawing undue attention, it usually won't be a problem.

Seems to me I remember one of us getting a ticket for a muddy truck in Dublin. Apparently it's against the law there. Won't say who, but it's really hard to say what will happen and where it will happen.

Not sure if you're living in Columbus, but perhaps you should move immediately. All cities in Ohio pretty much adopt the same laws.

The code you listed says nothing about being on private property in view of the public, it only says being in or on a vehicle on a road for public use. You're saying WH says you can 't have an open container in view of the public even on private prop, thats not the same as what you quoted from Columbus.

The code you listed says nothing about being on private property in view of the public' date=' it only says being in or on a vehicle on a road for public use. You're saying WH says you can 't have an open container in view of the public even on private prop, thats not the same as what you quoted from Columbus.[/quote']

Ok, you still don't get it, it's all the same law. City codes, in this case, are very close to the State code. Or even identical.

Columbus (cities) = 2325.62 (B) No person shall have in his possession an opened container of beer or intoxicating liquor in any of the following circumstances:

(3) In any other public place;

State = 4301.62(B) No person shall have in the person’s possession an opened container of beer or intoxicating liquor in any of the following circumstances:

(3) In any other public place;

Sooo, go out in your front lawn and pee, and see if that's private or public. You'll find out soon enough that your front lawn is public.

I can't check Whitehall code specifically without going down to the library. Theirs isn't on line. I have in the past, and it's all the same, with an occasional law that is not as strict as everywhere else. The one that comes to mind is gun laws. Smaller cities can have types of firearms that bigger cities are not allowed to have.

See? Now this is a gun forum!

edit: oh yeah, forgot... Yes, we drink beer in our front yards in Whitehall. And on our driveways. Lots of it. We don't go walking down the sidewalk or street with an open beer, that would be stupid. Nor do we act up, or draw attention when drinking. It's the same situation everywhere else. Including the entire state.

I can't remember how many times I've seen Columbus police ask students at OSU to dump beer when caught on city sidewalks along High Street. Refuse and they got arrested.

Edited by ReconRat