Why do you own the bike that you do?

JamesE

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I came from a KZ1000 and wanted something that had plenty of go fast and could also brake and corner. Also wanted something a little heavier than a 600 so I wouldn't get beaten to death on long rides. Three back surgeries makes you think about things like that. Busa was a perfect fit and the deal was right.

i'll just go by the last bike i purchased:

i picked up the 1125CR cause it's fugly, but is an awesome handling bike, and also important was that it was comfy as riding your mama for about 10 hours at a time. also, it was about as cheap as your mama (6k OTD for brand new... all the smoking deals were gone by the time i got mine, so i had to settle for a semi hot to the touch deal)

Grew up riding MX bikes, bought a '96 YZF600RJ when I was 19, bought the bike before looking into insurance. Had to sell it because the insurance cost to much. Just before I turned 24, the car I use to own turned out to be a lemon. Sold it, and decided that I would go for a new bike this time. Checked the insurance first then in June 09 bought a brand new 2008 GSX-R 600 and have been happy ever since even though I no longer have a car. LOL The reason I choose this bike was the look, feel and what I had heard from friends who owned Suzuki's prior and they loved them.

My first exposure to motorcycles was when I was about 10-11 years old. A guy who worked near the school bus stop had a Harley with a side car. Ever since then I was fascinated with motorcycles.

Took my first ride on one in 1987, a beat up little Honda that a buddy of mine had in his garage. His Dad was pissed off when he found out we got it started and rode it in a nearby field.

It wasn't until 1995 when I finally owned my first motorcycle. I didn't have a lot of money then and my wife told a coworker of hers that I was looking to buy a motorcycle. He had a 1978 Kawasaki KZ750 in parts that he was looking to rebuild, but never got around to it. He sold it to me for $200.00. The frame had the motor and rear wheel attached. The rest was in a box.

Between Iron Pony, JC Whitney, and The Rice Paddy I was able to get this back together and road worthy. It was a lot of fun, but eventually I was putting more work into it than riding.

I've always liked the cruiser style bikes which is why I now own a VTX1300. Great bike and she has been tried and true through many miles of states and countries.

I've ridden other styles and appreciate each one for what they're intended for and am looking forward to the day when I'm able to have each one waiting in my garage to be ridden.

Summer1995-1-2.jpgIMG_1092JPGcopy.jpg

I ride my triumph because i fell in love with it. I loved how it looked. The first time i rode it, I didnt care for it. The second time, I put 100 miles on it, and was in love. It was wonderful. The price was right, and it fit my every need. It handles like a sport bike and as comfortable as a lazy boy.

sprint2.jpg

I ride my triumph because i fell in love with it. I loved how it looked. The first time i rode it, I didnt care for it. The second time, I put 100 miles on it, and was in love. It was wonderful. The price was right, and it fit my every need. It handles like a sport bike and as comfortable as a lazy boy.

sprint2.jpg

Now time to put like 9,000 miles on it! I plan on doing some serious riding this year. Can't wait. Laid off all March so I'll have nothing better to do than ride! lol :cool:

about a year after i got my first bike, my manager asked me if i had ever seen the triumph sport bike because he saw one at lunch. i looked it up...

I kind of like having a unique bike, but when i found the Daytona 675 and rode it during a demo day, i was sold - the sound, handling, power, weight, everything....

a year later i was able to pick up a 2008 (in 2009) for a really good deal.

IMG_0268.jpg

The 2 fiddy, I couldn't pass up the deal. Craigslist, under $1k, started riding it, and I've put less than $500 more into it to get the fairings back on it. A few months later, was looking on Craigslist again, found the 500, paid $500, put less than a $200 in it, including the gasket set I'm about to order for it.

I started riding bikes late (36), because I wasn't ready for it, and would have been less than responsible about it. When I was a kid in the mid to late 80's, my cousin had a couple interceptors, one was a 500, I think the other was a 750. I've always like the looks of them, and the more vertical riding position. The 2 fiddy is a decent riding position for me, but the seat gets uncomfortable pretty quick. This year, I plan to ride the Interceptor everywhere, and the 2 fiddy is for the wife.

Now time to put like 9,000 miles on it! I plan on doing some serious riding this year. Can't wait. Laid off all March so I'll have nothing better to do than ride! lol :cool:

Good luck riding in March, the damn snow will still be there! I'm down when the snow is gone.