Why do you own the bike that you do?

JamesE

The 650r seemed like the best balance of price/performance/insurance/looks/comfort at the time. 3 years later and it's still plenty of bike and I'm still 100% happy with my decision, but I have been entertaining the idea of selling it and getting a Daytona 675. I really do love the 650, but I'm starting to crave something new.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well to be honest i blame my cousin (Hoblick) for this go fast obsession i got. it all started with an old 80's 125 honda dirt bike we used to ride as kids untill he blew it up racing it (dumb ass races everything he gets). then growing up he always had fast n20 injected mustangs and super sportbikes. Long and short is i had to have both so i had a couple stangs 68 and 02 then sold them to ride. And kawi green is what sells me! damn shes hot!hahaha

now my cousin has gotten soft and has like 3 different sets of saddle bags! :supergay:

3kawi.jpg

Edited by Ault

my gpz broke at the end of last season and i knew i wanted to fix it or get on something else. at first i couldnt find any engines so i started researching bikes and i ended up with my R1.

i knew i didnt want a susuki or a honda so it was betwen the zx10 and r1. since i couldnt get a loan outright i had to finance a new bike so that left 08-09. then when i started researching the 2 bikes the R1 had more tech for the money and even though it was down on power from the zx10 it looked 20times better IMO. then when i couldnt find a good deal in town, on the 08 it just left me with the 09 r1. once i heard the new crossplane engine it was a done deal

downsize_3.jpg

downsize_2.jpg

What ride has more HORSE power?! :beathorse:

My first bike was purchased in 2005, because it was the first one I looked at that I could actually afford. I was trying to get a cruiser, but I just wanted a BIKE.

2.jpg

the pic is in the pits at Nelson Ledges, during my 5th trackday. Glad I didn't get the cruiser.

I still have the EX, but also have a 2003 CBR 600RR in the garage for trackday use:

RB7_2954.jpg

I got the RR to replace my F2, which was a bit heavy and down on power compared to more modern 600's. It would be egotistical to say the F2 was "limiting" me on the track, but it's certainly easier to go faster on the RR :)

nostalgia pic of the F2 (the original Creamsicle):

IMG_0220-1.jpg

(i had literally just finished mounting all the freshly painted bodywork. later, this bike had full Browns decals as well)

I've loved bikes forever, but never really had my balls drop until my first co-op job, when my boss bought a new '03 SV650S, and I rode it in the parking lot. I bought it from him 6 months later and spent the next 3 years learning it and tinkering around. After a while it got to look pretty nice and I was really loving it.

picture.php?albumid=1&pictureid=1

Then I let a friend drive it in a parking lot and he wrecked the shit out of it....

After he bought it, I got my CBR, because I wanted to impress the 14-year-olds that hang out at bike night. I just power-wheelie in like a boss and let 'em know what's up, 'cuz bitches love CBRs....

picture.php?albumid=2&pictureid=3

But seriously, look at those strips in that pic, even My Little Pony would tell me to put some back into it.

Now I have a GSXR for the track because I hear it's what all the cool kids do, and I'll do anything to be cool. I guess that makes me a sheep, but I hear that's pretty cool around here too....

picture.php?albumid=63&pictureid=583

I had actually thought about getting a bike for a long time, but the wife never really wanted me to get one. She was afraid of me being in an accident. One day I got her say..."sure get one!" I think she was being sarcastic, but I came home the next day with it. No license, never ridden before, but it was mine!

It was what I could afford and her favorite color is purple, so I thought it would help smooth it over.

I've wanted a bike ever since I saw Top Gun when I was a kid, thought it was the coolest thing ever. Finally got mine this fall after a friend of mine beat me to the punch and bought hers so I had no excuse not to get one.Ended up with my 05 600RR for a pretty good deal through a friend of a friend. Not knowing much about bikes I decided to stick with something most people feel reliable and that parts were easy to come by. Love it and already starting to save for the next one to add

My dad started me early on motorcycles, we've actually got pics of me in a car seat my dad mounted on the back of his old CB750 that he'd take me all over the place on. I think I was about 3 at that time. When I was about 13, I got a used 4 wheeler that I rode for about a year or so, then traded for a little kx80. Through my teen years, both of my parents rode, and my dad bought a lot of old, tired, barely running bikes to fix and sell, so I got exposure to a lot of different bikes. When my parents were out of town one weekend, I took Mom's bike out and wrecked it pretty good. When they got home, and I told them what I did, Dad took me up to the DMV, and got me the Virginia MC endorsement study guide. He said "I know I can't stop you from riding, but I can make sure that you're legal when you do it." I was 17 when I got my endorsement, and I rode everything that came into the garage until I moved to Ohio when my second child was born. When we moved here we were broke, so when I went in to get my Ohio DL, I didn't transfer my endorsement. It would have been an extra $25, and I knew that a bike wasn't in my future any time soon, so I let it drop.

After working on my wife for about 7 years about getting my endorsement again, and buying a bike, we were finally in a position I could drop a little money on a bike, so I started researching, and visiting dealers, and trying to figure out what I wanted. I stopped in a Suzuki dealer, and sat on a sporty looking, naked bike (SV650), and knew right then that was what I wanted. I scoured CL for months looking for one that I could afford, and ended up finding it in Obetz. A red 2001 SV650 naked. It had 12k miles, and a little rash from being down, but I only paid $2100 for it. After riding on my temps for a while, I used the SV to pass the maneuverability course, and started taking my wife with me on some local rides when we could get a sitter. That was when she found out she likes to ride too, and when I realized that the SV, though a great commuter bike, is not ideal for 2 up riding.

SC650RTSIDE.jpg

I sold the SV at the end of December, 2008 for $300 more than I paid, and bought my first cruiser, a 2001 Vstar 650 Classic, on my 9th wedding anniversary.

RonandIleanaonbike-1.jpg

I rode the Vstar from January to April, then realized the final drive was beginning to show some significant wear, and I wasn't in a position to fix it, so I put it up for sale after only 4 months (but 6000 miles :eek:).

My wife really liked the cruiser, and was pushing for another, so I started the search again. I really wanted a 750+, so that's what I was looking for. Then I stumbled across a silly deal on a 2000 VStar 650 Custom that the guy just wanted rid of. It had been down once or twice, was kind of ugly, and had been painted several times, but it only had 1200 miles, had most of the mods I was planning for my Classic, and I had cash burning a hole in my pocket.

This was the day after I bought it.

2000Custom.jpg

Two weeks later...

VStarCustomTornApart.jpg

And a couple of weeks after that...

VStarCustomPaintPic1.jpg

My wife and I took it down to Gatlinburg and rode the Dragon last July, just before my car died, which revealed the fact that I needed to sell my little bike in order to buy a cage to get the kids to and from practices when my wife couldn't do it.

I really didn't want to sell my bike after putting all that work into it, so I called my mom, and talked her into a trade. I loaded up the VStar, and drove to Virginia to do the swap, and brought back her 1993 Shadow 1100.

ShadowPic1.jpg

I never liked the Shadow, and really wasn't sad to see it go... Mom apparently didn't like it too much either. She only put 50 more miles on it in 9 years than I did on the Vstar in 3 months!

Unfortunately, I find myself without a bike completely right now, and have gone on the hunt again, looking for that great deal that I can both afford, and act on.

I was looking for one of these threads. Pretty good idea. Well as some saw from my introduction I used to live in BFE(Ashtabula). So, I grew up riding quads and dirt bikes. I recently moved into the city and have no room or place to do that anymore. I had been looking at motorcycles for a long time. My friends that I went to college with and worked with all had one. I seemed to be the odd one out. Ironically enough, the first bike, the bike I own now ended up being one of theirs.

I used to work at Circuit City before they all closed. So far the last 4 owners of the bike have been Circuit City employees. The first person that owned the bike bought it for his girlfriend I believe. She only put 200 miles on it in 3 years, then took a spill at 5 mph and didn't want to ride anymore. Hence the sale there.

Second Circuit City employee that bought it from him was my buddy. I believe he rode it for 3 years then upgraded to a 600rr. While he owned it another fellow employee tried to take it for a spin and laid it down after riding about 10ft. It was a spectacle to see.

When my friend upgraded to the RR the bike moved onto another friend of mine who also worked at the Circuit. He rode it for 2 seasons as well. Not learning from our other friend he let someone barrow the bike and he laid it down on West 6th St in Cleveland. Again, what a tool bag. The friend here ended up moving from Mayfield to downtown Cleveland, but the bike was still in Mayfield.

One thing led to another and I called him up day and told him I would give him $1,500 cash for it. So I ended up the 4th and final Circuit City employee to own the bike. Ended up scoring a 2001 YZF600R for $1500, with a little cosmetic damage and 6500 miles on it. Even though it has been down three times it is still a solid 6ft bike for sure. It is mechanically sound and just has a little rash on the one side. I rode it all last summer and look forward to another season. Sorry no pics for now because I am at work...

Edited by jayjie15

I came from a cruiser background, making Harley's go fast. This was the bike that made me a sport bike rider.

picture.php?albumid=728&pictureid=7741

picture.php?albumid=728&pictureid=7742

picture.php?albumid=728&pictureid=8943

After the Buell was stolen, I decided I still liked the twins, only I didn't want to do all the work anymore customizing the ride. I'm a Italian Twin fan, through and through now.:)

Dumbest thieves ever to steal a Buell. :lol:

Sorry about your misfortune though :(

I did it up right though. Penske rear, racing ECM, Force Exhaust, Hypercharger, all carbon fibre. It didn't do too bad at Mid Ohio, but had a tendency to want to stand up, unless you were pushing the rear hard. It whollied easier than the Ape even...

I'd say it was still one of my favourite bikes, primarily because I did all the work.

IM not gonna lie...back in california I rode my bike along the flightline as the jets took-off while I pumped my fist in the air. :D
:lol::lol: okay i may be kinda jealous

I am ridiculously jealous. I don't care how stupid I will look but one day I will do this

:plus1: I'm about to be rockin' the flight suit as well. I've just always wanted to be Maverick.

dude me too, thats like one of my favorite movies ever