Why do you own the bike that you do?

JamesE

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in 2001, I seen a red CBR 1100XX on honda's website, and thought it looked remarkably close to the CBX posted above, when 2004 came and went, no cbx, I knew I had to have the XX, so I started my search, and finally had the coin, and opportunity back in march 2008. I picked it up from jersey, and brought it home.

rightside-1.jpg

And then bolted some big 'ol speakers to the fairings. There, now the story is complete. :D

I've had many bikes over the years, but I have the current one cuz it's bad ass and makes me feel all tingly.

I've wanted a Kawasaki ZX6R since I was in high school. I used to go down to the local dealership and sit on them as much as possible. As more time went by, I just never got around to buying a bike. I road my roommates bike in college, illegally and with no gear like a moron, though usually just around the block.

The want for the bike never went away, I still kept up with the new models each year and always had at least one mag subscription, but never got around to putting the money down on one. Last year, my little brother got a 96 Katana 600. When the family was visiting for his kids birthday party, I took it for a spin down the road. It was the first time I had ridden a bike in almost 5 years and the bug immediately bit me again. I decided it was enough of "someday I'll get one" and started forth the plans for what I was going to get.

I immediately borrowed my other brothers Honda 250 and got some riding gear and a permit. I rode it after work most days until it got too cold. I had decided that I was going to get a new Ducati Monster as I thought it would be more comfortable than a pure sport bike, but the ergonomics were still sporty and it would have enough power to keep me happy for a while. Plus, I loved the look of them and when I sat on one, it fit me like a glove. I put together $3000 for a down payment and was going to finance one in the Spring when the deals started coming out since I wouldn't be able to ride it much till then anyway.

The urge didn't let me wait. I started thinking, with that down payment money, I could almost get a used ZX6R that I wanted all those years ago and not have any payments. So, I immediately started looking at sport bikes, particularly the 05-06 636 models of the zx6r and I knew the Magma Red was my favorite color, though color wasn't really a deciding factor. Then one day on craigslist, I come across a magma red 05 in Columbus for $4500. It had a bunch of stickers on it, but it looked like it may be in good shape otherwise, so I called the number. It turned out that it was a trade in at a car dealership right beside where I worked, so immediately planned the trip down to check it out.

When I got there, it was exactly the bike I wanted. I couldn't easily get to his price since I was starting with my original down payment stash and knew it would be close to $5k by the time they tacked on taxes and fees. I told them I would buy it on the spot at $4k out the door. They took it, and that's where I stand today. I've had it for about a month now and have put about 500 miles on it even with all the crappy weather.

Only pic I have right now.

HockingRR.jpg

He wouldn't make it a mile on those sugary sand roads. :D

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That guy is on another board i'm on and yes he rides it everywhere !! Dirt roads and trails and all !! I'll look for a couple of his trip write ups !!

Because, I started looking at bikes a few years ago and thought the ducati monster was the best looking bike I had ever seen and was somewhat moderate in horsepower. This made it a good first "big bike" I started looking at Ducatis because my buddy's 748S with arrow pipes sounded better than anything I'd ever heard.

monster-madnessweb-1.jpg

IMG_0066.jpg

Picture003.jpg

IMG_0679.jpg

I bought the gixxer because I fell in love with track riding and decided that I didn't want to wreck the duc on the track (which I ended up doing anyway) and because superbikes are just better on the race track. Cleaning up the gixxer ended up being a fun project as well.

IMG_0094.jpg

IMG_5151.jpg

IMG_0297.jpg

Picture-448.jpg

IMG_0326.jpg

IMG_5450.jpg

Picture190.jpg

Picture189.jpg

Photo9.jpg

Picture602.jpg

Untitled-14.jpg

Untitled-7.jpg

And then there is the yamahopper. I love it because it is an adventure every time you go anywhere on it. It's also a good pit bike. It's a 1980, my parents won it in a raffle at my highschool festival the "Alter Fest" in 1986. It ran for awhile, then sat in the garage for a long time. I finally talked my dad into giving it to me and I got it running, had to pay someone to figure out an electrical problem it had but it's freaking awesome now.

yamahopperrollingshot.jpg

Picture195.jpg

Picture192.jpg

IMG_0710.jpg

Of the three I have now..The ninja because a clown on here sold it to me for a ridiculously low price, The Sumo because they're more fun than can legally be had an the 1000rr because my wife said NO and I wanted to prove to her I wore the pants around here! .............. That was a ruff week or two and I've since givin the pants back to her but I still ended up with the bike :)

I feel like stabbing...you. :D

I started off drooling over my uncles.. old Honda Hurricane.... i dont remember the year or whatnot.. but i rode with him when i was about 6-8 yrs old till he sold it (said he wqas to old for it) spent the next 8-9 yrs dreaming of my first bike. bought my first bike at 17 it was a 1990 Suzuki Katana 600 for $100 spent about 200 fixing to be able to ride it.. rode it for about 4 yrs sold it for 1000 to a "friend"

Second bike 2003 Suzuki GSX750 rode it for a year.. hated it.. it was a tank just like my old katana.. sold it

Third 2006 Kawasaki ZZR600rr... rode it for 1 yr great little bike hated the carbs

picture.php?albumid=225&pictureid=9672

Forth 2005 CBR600rr.. first real world exp with a good supersport.. loved that bike.. till i saw my current bike.

picture.php?albumid=225&pictureid=9673

Current 2008 Yamaha R6.. best bike ive ever owned.. amzing at just about everything.. IMO of course.. when i buy my next bike.. this one will continue to do my track work..

picture.php?albumid=574&pictureid=9674

picture.php?albumid=225&pictureid=6505

Edited by TwiztedRabbit

Do you know Brandon or have you seen me at a track event?

Yea, brandon is a friend of mine , thats his last years race bike ?? and maybee ?? Were you at putnum on 8/2 or stt's Nashville day ! You did a thread when u painted it too right ?? :D

Yea, brandon is a friend of mine , thats his last years race bike ?? and maybee ?? Were you at putnum on 8/2 or stt's Nashville day ! You did a thread when u painted it too right ?? :D

I was at Putnam in July, never went to nashville, and yes there was a huge thread covering the whole bike being bought, repaired, painted and so on.

Yep, I got the bike from Brandon.

I got back into bikes long after my need for speed had abated...pretty much just wanted to explore and go everywhere, whether it was on or offroad. So, adventure & dual sport bikes just suited me...best tool for the job.

I tried out a few, have owned several in the last few years but I'm very happy with my current rides, there's no kind of riding I can't do. I can sport-tour, cruise, hit the twisties, travel, go dirt roads, fire trails, single track, you name it. With a limited budget, I have my needs well taken care of.

Simply, what is the reason for you owning the bike that you do? Include pics if possible.

Why? Cause all the sons-of-bitchs here kept teasin me for riding a scooter! :scooter: (it really is true)

Why the bike that I have, I wanted a sportbike but didn't like an aggressive lean, the FZ6R has almost no lean and was low enough for my short azz!

MyYamahaFZ6R_01.jpg