BMV late fees apply to bikes

DTM Brian

And where is the OSP headquartered? COLUMBUS, that's where.

It doesn't matter who its going to - its bullshit. You have communities all over the state laying off cops, and counties laying of deputies, but they can arbitrarily enact a TAX to keep the state's traffic cops working?

Gimme a fucking break.

Very true.. They were explaining this on the channel 4 news last night and it was said that there is discussion from the BMV and the City saying in so many words that this is not the best rule, but it is expected to bring in so much revenue that they need to find something to replace that money before they ditch the rule, wtf!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just make sure you register ON TIME and then you wont have to worry about a late fee :)

This is a very good point, BUT for those people who don't know the rule and have a birthday in the dead of winter why would you think about renewing your mc title.

My b-day is in December and I always just renewed in March where I would get the $$ pro rated and not have to pay for tags during Dec, Jan and Feb.

It's a stupid rule for bikes, alot of insurance in ohio has a 3 month layover anyway.

Tha ATV tag is a good thing.... read up on it, It allows you to ride it along the edge of any road other than a state route, freeway, hiway. Its already out as a state apv sticker just not required yet unless you want to ride on state owned land. I have them on mine already and ride into town regularly.

Starting July 1st it is required that you have a actual plate on your APV and the cost is going up to $31.25

http://ourohio.org/magazine/past-issues-2009/november-december-2009/no-trespassing/

Well I tried to argue with 3 different people behind the counter at the bmv that a bike was seasonal. Looks like I will be paying a late fee when I bring the bike out.

Tell them to reread the rules or go to a different place, It does not apply to motorcycles, RV's, trailers.

legally, there has never been a grace period. you have to get it renewed by your birthday. if your birthday was march 4, and you got pulled over march 7, you COULD get a ticket. not to say you WOULD, but you COULD. many people think you have until the end of the month, but technically you do not.

however, there never was a penalty for late renewal

it doesn't apply to motorcycles. if you did get charged they owe you the money back.

I don't know how this could be any more clear,

a screencap of an online chat does not make a law.

the real question is, does lolitha J actually KNOW what she is talking about? just bc she works there doesnt mean she has a clue. if you show them that, there is a chance that they will say "lothia doesnt know her ass from a hole in the ground... sorry bout it".

the law, as i found it, says:

Commencing on October 1, 2009, if an application for registration renewal is not applied for prior to the expiration date of the registration or within seven days after that date, the registrar or deputy registrar shall collect a fee of twenty dollars for the issuance of the vehicle registration, but may waive the fee for good cause shown if the application is accompanied by supporting evidence as the registrar may require. The fee shall be in addition to all other fees established by this section. A deputy registrar shall retain fifty cents of the fee and shall transmit the remaining amount to the registrar at the time and in the manner provided by section 4503.10 of the Revised Code. The registrar shall deposit all moneys received under this division into the state highway safety fund established in section 4501.06 of the Revised Code.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4503.04 (section O)

doesnt say anything about motorcycles being exempt

legally, there has never been a grace period. you have to get it renewed by your birthday. if your birthday was march 4, and you got pulled over march 7, you COULD get a ticket. not to say you WOULD, but you COULD. many people think you have until the end of the month, but technically you do not.

however, there never was a penalty for late renewal

a screencap of an online chat does not make a law.

the real question is, does lolitha J actually KNOW what she is talking about? just bc she works there doesnt mean she has a clue. if you show them that, there is a chance that they will say "lothia doesnt know her ass from a hole in the ground... sorry bout it".

the law, as i found it, says:

Commencing on October 1, 2009, if an application for registration renewal is not applied for prior to the expiration date of the registration or within seven days after that date, the registrar or deputy registrar shall collect a fee of twenty dollars for the issuance of the vehicle registration, but may waive the fee for good cause shown if the application is accompanied by supporting evidence as the registrar may require. The fee shall be in addition to all other fees established by this section. A deputy registrar shall retain fifty cents of the fee and shall transmit the remaining amount to the registrar at the time and in the manner provided by section 4503.10 of the Revised Code. The registrar shall deposit all moneys received under this division into the state highway safety fund established in section 4501.06 of the Revised Code.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4503.04 (section O)

doesnt say anything about motorcycles being exempt

it's straight from ohio plates.com. (the place you renew your stuff online) THE place that knows the laws!....and so said the owner of the dmv I go to. it' doesn't apply to motorcycles.

she said it in the exact same words as the person in that screen clip did. (I asked the dmv first)

I don't know why you guys insist on arguing otherwise when some of us has shown you proof. the OP got hosed by someone that doesn't know the rules themselves. I even personally know someone that already went through this and didn't get charged the $20 fee.

they need to put the exclusions in clear bold writing so everyone can relax.

but you CAN RELAX it doesn't apply to a motorcycle.

Edited by serpentracer

it's straight from ohio plates.com. (the place you renew your stuff online) THE place that knows the laws!....

thats what id like to think... but its not a guarantee that some employee in the live chat knows whats up. have you SEEN some of the people who work for the state or at the BMV?

just like the cop that told me open carry was against the law, and you'd go to jail. you'd like to think a cop would know the laws, but its not always so.

the ORC doesnt say anything about exclusions that i could find.

thats what id like to think... but its not a guarantee that some employee in the live chat knows whats up. have you SEEN some of the people who work for the state or at the BMV?

just like the cop that told me open carry was against the law, and you'd go to jail. you'd like to think a cop would know the laws, but its not always so.

I'm not kidding you at all. I can show you a thread on another forum where the guy didn't get charged the $20 and was told the exact same thing.

these threads are why I asked and contacted people in charge of things. not the people behind the counter.

the first person I asked is the person in charge of the DMV location.

and so I contacted ohio plates.com and they said the same exact thing. what's the chance 3 people in separate parts of the state say the exact same words in the exact same order?

Edited by serpentracer

This is a very good point, BUT for those people who don't know the rule and have a birthday in the dead of winter why would you think about renewing your mc title.

My b-day is in December and I always just renewed in March where I would get the $$ pro rated and not have to pay for tags during Dec, Jan and Feb.

It's a stupid rule for bikes, alot of insurance in ohio has a 3 month layover anyway.

My birthday is in the dead of winter! February 26th to be exact lol

^^^THis.

I dont care what some chat COnvo, or Operator of a single BMV in the state tells you, or if one of the thousand BMV's in the state finds a way to waive a fee for someone....That does not make it correct or Law.

The man has posted the ORC, which , is in fact, Legal and Binding.

Argue all you want on this Fee....If they want to charge you for it..you will pay it or find another way to re-register your vehicle with new plates.

You guys are really some whiny ass people to bitch about $20 when you own $5K, $6K, $7K & $10K+ Pleasure vehicles.

Instead of Bitching, you could just renew your plates....on time....

What a concept.

Nowhere in any Ohio Laws does it State a motorcycle is a Seasonal Vehicle that I have seen as of yet, and I was scouring their site for it..

I see them ridden year round, so I guess they are only seasonal to some.

Rub those nickels together if you like.

I renewed my plates today. I was told by the Director of the BMV in Gahanna that the late fee DOES NOT apply to bikes because the consider them "seasonal". I asked him twice and he assured me that he was informed by the State of Ohio not to charge late fees on bikes.

It doesnt say anything about motorcycles being exempt, the people at the BMV are morons and you can't trust ohioplates.com because not only is it on the internet but a site dealing with government and we all know the internet and the government are not to be trusted. I am a lawyer, I have never been to law school and the closest i have to any education in law is the one time I had to go to mayors court for a speeding ticket, but still just trust me on this.

Edited by Vulcan_Rider
i knt splle

I simply Say this *cough*...Show me where in print, legally , where it says that a motorcycle is a seasonal Vehicle.

I would not trust opne word out of someones mouth at the BMV, even if they were the top Dog.

We all know 9 times out of 10 that the more power you have, typically the less you actually know about what you're doing in that position.

Until then....Dont be surprised if you have to fight with them if you register late.

I still stand my my statement...Quit being Brokedick people and renew your plates on time.

Edited by MattKatz

^^lolz told you guys so....man you guys are so fucking predictable it's not even funny.

^^^THis.

Instead of Bitching, you could just renew your plates....on time....

I see them ridden year round, so I guess they are only seasonal to some.

Rub those nickels together if you like.

again hard head...some of us use a insurance policy that has a clause called a layover for 3 months. you cannot ride. so why go buy the registration for it when you could wait till spring when the layover is over and save $5-10 because the pro rate them. I saved $100 a year with the layover. you have to show proof of insurance when you renew your registration.

the state randomly sends out insurance checks to see if your registered vehicle has insurance during a certain time..if you can't show prof, you get your license suspended. so that's another reason to not get them renewed.

Edited by serpentracer

YOur thought process has it totally wrong here but obviously you cannot be wrong.

Not every insurance provider offers this "Layover" and whether you have it does not change the fact that your bike is registered and you will pass the date for your registration making you late. As a matter of Fact, who is your insurance provider?

I know of VERY very few who actually do this.

And I would like to know how you save $100 by doing this layover?

I barely pay that for an entire year.....But I must be a hard headed idiot to pay so little.

Yes?

I have heard of special policies for collector cars from Haggerty, but those are milage and weather dependant for truely collectors vehicles.

The fact of the matter is simple, if you cannot provide documented proof of the State of Ohio Considering your motorcycle a Seasonal vehicle which is exempt from this late fee..Then you are wrong.

End of Story.

Now thats not to say some Idiot at your local BMV thinks that it is seasonal and waives the fee for you...But that in itself doesnt make you or them right..It just means you got by.

And thats not so say you dont let your insurance and plates lapse....to save you money.

But dont bitch if one day , they decide to charge you this fee for your "Seasonal" vehicle.

I really dont care , as I register on time as I am supposed to. And As far as the Random insurance, you are supposed to have it for a registered vehicle, you are correct...so I carry it on all of my vehicles as I am supposed to. I also carry extra Un-insured motorist coverage for the idiots who think they dont need it.

SO now once again....I don't think anything I have said is hard-headed....I think if you don't have concrete , legal proof either way, then we are both at a stalemate here...and we should just move on.

I will agree to disagree..can you.

Edited by MattKatz

my insurance is like 130 bucks for the entire year. i could never do the 3 month off anyway... at least once a month we get a day where it gets up to like 45 or 50, i gotta get out on the bike to keep myself sane lol.

my insuranace quote my agent "is priced by the year with consideration of those months not riding" progressive.

and FAWK im gonna have to get those new gay sunrise plates next time i renew my bike since it expired....of course I'll argue with them its a seasonal vehicle and maybe be able to renew but idk.

We all know 9 times out of 10 that the more power you have, typically the less you actually know about what you're doing in that position.

Let me guess. You're one of those bottom of the totem pole guys?

In my time here that's the most ridiculous statement I've ever read.