I have a question....

jessecwalters

Who do you agree with?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you agree with?

• Me, (the right answer)
    • The woman who is wrong
    • hookers and blow

So me and my wife are arguing about something. We were watching something and she says, something of a higher mass (weight) will have a higher max velocity then something of a smaller weight, basically meaning it will hit the ground first. I say they will both hit the ground at damn near the same time, because gravity pulls things down at the same speed. Obviously something like a feather isnt going to fall as fast. so vote who you agree with. Multiple choice is available.

So me and my wife are arguing about something. We were watching something and she says, something of a higher mass (weight) will have a higher max velocity then something of a smaller weight, basically meaning it will hit the ground first. I say they will both hit the ground at damn near the same time, because gravity pulls things down at the same speed. Obviously something like a feather isnt going to fall as fast. so vote who you agree with. Multiple choice is available.

You kinda are both right

no air resistance is present, the rate of descent depends only on how far the object has fallen, no matter how heavy the object is. This means that two objects will reach the ground at the same time if they are dropped simultaneously from the same height. This statement follows from the law of conservation of energy and has been demonstrated experimentally by dropping a feather and a lead ball in an airless tube.

When air resistance plays a role, the shape of the object becomes important. In air, a feather and a ball do not fall at the same rate. In the case of a pen and a bowling ball air resistance is small compared to the force a gravity that pulls them to the ground. Therefore, if you drop a pen and a bowling ball you could probably not tell which of the two reached the ground first unless you dropped them from a very very high tower.

There are SO many physics things going on right now that you can't accurately answer the question without all the information. terminal velocity is a factor that is important, as well as wind resistance.

But either way, you're NEVER going to be right with your woman... apologize now and let it go.

Several years ago my wife and I got into an argument about hot water freezing faster than cold water... I was on the RIGHT side (hot water freezes faster)... ended up being ugly and doesn't matter how much proof and studies I quoted, she was mad....

You can't prove a woman wrong without consequences.

Most answers in this post are full of engineering fail.

What exactly are you arguing? Yes she is right...more mass = higher Vmax. Assuming two objects have equal Cd and frontal area in the same atmosphere.

Terminal Velocity occurs when D = W = m*g, drag and weight.

Drag equation => D= .5*rho*V^2*Cd*A

Then you can calculate Vmax.

You can see a larger mass object will have a higher Vmax assuming everything else is constant.

Edited by ohdaho

Most answers in this post are full of engineering fail.

What exactly are you arguing? Yes she is right...more mass = higher Vmax. Assuming two objects have equal Cd and frontal area in the same atmosphere.

Terminal Velocity occurs when D = W = m*g, drag and weight.

Drag equation => D= .5*rho*V^2*Cd*A

Then you can calculate Vmax.

You can see a larger mass object will have a higher Vmax assuming everything else is constant.

That's what I was gonna say but you beat me to it.:rolleyes:

you'd be right if ther was no air resistance. she's right if they have the same air resistance (2 objects with same volume/shape/profile etc) and you're both missing the point if neither are the case.

Edited by magley64