arent u tired of this!?

GhostRider357

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a SV isn't exactly a small bike like a gs500 or 250ninja. with a few simple mods, my SV is a 135mph+ bike. a stock sv650 is very managable for a beginner, but as my skills increased i did simple intake,exhaust,sprocket,map, mods to make it quicker and faster.

Dude dont waste your time and money on a go for the six its all on you how hard you ride the bike, and you will see what i mean once you hit the throttle you see what i mean i started with a 600 and 3 months later i got a 750 now a got a zx10 . so save some money and get the 600

..."do i smell a squid in here"...keep that kind of advice to urself. its not going to help anyone.

I was being sarcastic and stating that it goes faster than a few tenths like the guy I was quoting stated... 600s today are fast. They get to their top speed quick and can be a handful in the wrong hands.

Too many street guys "think" they can master a 600 and go up to liter bikes because they feel they "need" the extra power and such.

They're obviously wrong... We see so many liter bikes at our track days that outside the back straight, are over 10 seconds slower than an average rider on a 600...

Point is that the whole topic here is kinda opinionated by guys who I guarantee aren't as good with their machines as they feel they are...

Start small (SV, 500, etc.), move up GRADUALLY and you'll find that you'll be better off than the guy who buys a 600 and has no business doing so...

This whole "You'll be too bored" is a response from guys who are most likely unable to tap into 50% of their own bike's ability...

Truth.

Dude dont waste your time and money on a go for the six its all on you how hard you ride the bike, and you will see what i mean once you hit the throttle you see what i mean i started with a 600 and 3 months later i got a 750 now a got a zx10 . so save some money and get the 600

Mad retard force is strong with this one.

• 1 year later...

consider how much you wiegh and your hieght before you buy a 250 cc bike i would not recomend less than a 600 if your a small person and if your close to 175lbs and over 5ft6 i would not get less than a 750 unless its a newer 6. you control the throttle and what gear your in, as for what your told well fact is over 90 % of bike accidents and deaths are from first year riders and over half are not from the size of bike they had but other factors like other vehicles and road obstacles. get the bike you want and dont try to impress everyone and you will grow with your bike and learn what it means to be a biker. i am looking for my wife first time rider and shes petite and i wont get less than a 600 for her i am even looking at 9's and 1000's. they are lighter and easier to control and you can lower it too!! good luck and happy hunting

holy break in the post time continuum!! first post thread revival with bad advice!

Okay seriously though, 175lb and you wouldn't consider anything smaller than a 750? You're nuts. I'm 180lbs and I have yet to exceed the performance limits of my 600

wait.. what? join date Jul 2007? wtf?

i started on a 1999 GS500 (which i still have) and LOVED it. Great bike, reliable, quick, mechanically very simple and they can be found in great shape for about $1200. Suzuki also made them for like a thousand years so OEM parts are not hard to come by. Aftermarket....that's a different story.

consider how much you wiegh and your hieght before you buy a 250 cc bike i would not recomend less than a 600 if your a small person and if your close to 175lbs and over 5ft6 i would not get less than a 750 unless its a newer 6. you control the throttle and what gear your in, as for what your told well fact is over 90 % of bike accidents and deaths are from first year riders and over half are not from the size of bike they had but other factors like other vehicles and road obstacles. get the bike you want and dont try to impress everyone and you will grow with your bike and learn what it means to be a biker. i am looking for my wife first time rider and shes petite and i wont get less than a 600 for her i am even looking at 9's and 1000's. they are lighter and easier to control and you can lower it too!! good luck and happy hunting

Flux1.jpg

My brother and myself both started on his Kawasaki ZZR6. Remember, just because a bigger bike has more power, it doesn't mean that you have to use everything it will produce. It also just depends on how comfortable you are. If you've ridden dirt bikes or even 4wheelers before, you'd probably be fine on a 600. If you have to learn everything like balance, shifting, braking, etc. then maybe you would be better off on a 250 or 500. In my opinion though, as long as you don't exceed your own abilities, the only thing you'll have to worry about is other drivers.

Edited by S-13

I guess I'll just agree to disagree here, again: I'm not trying to bash... but I've never wrecked a bike. I've only been riding 3 years, but most people wreck within the first. It doesn't have to be that way. The idea of getting bored on a 600 seems silly to me. What year ZZR were you riding? If it was the old ZZR, then yeah I could see you getting bored of that. However if its the same generation as mine (2005-2008), then there is no way! (I might be a little biased)

I'm not against starting on a 600, I did so myself on a 98 honda F3. To suggest starting on something bigger though, thats just silly. In fact, I'm convinced I will never want a sportbike bigger than a 600

There is a LOT of bad advice floating around on this thread. Don't overestimate yourself, just because you've gotten brave enough to pin the throttle on your bike doesn't mean you're ready to upgrade. Throw in some corners, unexpected situations on the road (cars, gravel, rain, etc) and you'll find certain bikes are way over certain skill levels. There are reasons why Europe gives licenses based on cc's and makes you step up slowly over time.

It's like a guy I talked to the other day, convinced he wanted a 1k Sportbike. He had ridden other bikes like Gs500 and 600's, even an R1. Impressed I asked him what kind of riding he did. "Ya know, through the city, like High St and stuff." Unless you're highly experienced or want to pose you don't need a liter. Don't take advice from Squids! You know who they are.

My .02 cents

I guess I'll just agree to disagree here, again: I'm not trying to bash... but I've never wrecked a bike. I've only been riding 3 years, but most people wreck within the first. It doesn't have to be that way. The idea of getting bored on a 600 seems silly to me. What year ZZR were you riding? If it was the old ZZR, then yeah I could see you getting bored of that. However if its the same generation as mine (2005-2008), then there is no way! (I might be a little biased)

I'm not against starting on a 600, I did so myself on a 98 honda F3. To suggest starting on something bigger though, thats just silly. In fact, I'm convinced I will never want a sportbike bigger than a 600

I'm not sure if you were responding to my post, but i edited it. After I read back through it again I realized that it wasn't the best advice in the world. the ZZR6 that I started on is an '08. I in no way ever got bored of that bike, but my brother wants to upgrade. Personally I don't even ride a sport bike anymore, it's just what I started on. I'm still going to stick with personal limitations according to experience though. I could ride a 1k, but I don't have to give it everything it's got. That would in turn make it pointless for me to own one and that's why I don't. The one exception that I can think of to this, is if someone has literally never been on a street bike, dirtbike, or anything with a clutch. In that case it would be a lot easier to lose the bike getting it out of first because of incorrect clutch/gas ratio.

and 250s arent easy to sell? ive had numerous offers for my bike in just one season, and im sure it wouldnt be hard to part with. go for a cheap 250 and learn some twisties imo.

on a sidenote, the 250 is not only great to learn on, but it usually resells for what you paid for it if you sell it privately, insurance is cheap as hell, and its easy to get parts off ebay for when you drop it.

+1 insurance costs almost kept me from getting a 600. if you finance the bike, you've gotta have comp. which on a 600 can run in excess of $900

personally, you should get the 600 and just stay lower in the RPMs and the power is very easy to manage. and as your skills progress just open the RPM range up a bunch.

you know i dont own a bike yet but im rly tired of everyone telling me "your gonna kill yourself" when i tell them i want to get a sportbike....Like i said in my intro im gonna start with a kawa250 and learn for a season then buy a gsxr600...im tired of everyone saying that so im gonna get what i want.....(anyone else tired of hearing that :beating:)

I knew quite a few people that have killed themselves.

just dont ride beyond your comfort zone, and remember your invisible to other vehicles.

If you start on a 250 or 500 and really learn to ride it you will become a far better rider once you step up to a 600. Don't do it backwards.. buy the little bike and learn how to ride. Once you can keep the 'faster' guys in sight on the little bike step up and they'll be wondering where the hell you went in such a hurry.

+1

if you master the 250 or 500, you will have a serious leg up on riding skill.

and +1 to what benyen said about resale values. you can ride a 250 or 500 for a year and sell it for nearly what you paid for it. there is always a demand for beginner bikes. :)

personally, id go for the 500 over the 250. i could be a little biased tho ;)

I will tell you now I started on a Ninja 500 last September and just upgraded to a SV650. I am not sorry for starting out on a 500 though. In my opinion, there was a big difference between the two bikes. My 650 has tons more torque. But, at the same time, they are totally different bikes. I think you would be okay starting on a 600, just done think you have huge balls and try and mash it without gaining skill first :D.

I started on a 250, and its very love hate...while i love riding and knowing that i dont really need more power to learn riding...i do get 'bored' with the 250 and highway travel is sort of a pita cause im always a few mph from topping out which is scary if i need to speed up to get out of a hairy situation. So my advice to you is if you can afford to get a 250 and 600 in a year or when ever you feel the need to upgrade. Do that. If youre tight financially skip the 250 and invest in a bike you can ride for a long time. As far as people telling you you will kill yourself, i always respond that atleast ill die happy...and if i know them well enough i make fun of them for just being too afraid to ride themselves and just being jealous of the fact im doin it and they arent.