GPS for bikes.. Which to choose?

Radio Flyer

I've been looking at a GPS for the bike, and went through the "How to Mount" thread and there isn't any info on what GPS are good to use on a bike.

It seems that there are really only two that are made specifically for bikes and they are 5x as expensive as car GPS. I think the main reason for this is the waterproof requirements they meet and they also are built to accept vibrations a little bit better.

I'm really looking at the Garmin Zumo 550 but I can't bring myself to spend 500 on a GPS.

It offers blue tooth hook up. Can hold up to a 4gb SD card to store music on. Has voice commands, which will cut off the music to let you know what street is next.

It also has a fuel gauge to let you know when you're getting closer to empty and will re-route you to the closest gas station available.

The Tom Tom Rider 2 is another GPS I was looking at but it doesn't seem to get very good reviews for the price.

I've also seen the Garmin Zumo 440, and the Quest and Quest 2.

One thing the bike specified GPS claim to do is allow for larger buttons and have the touch screen work for the rider wearing gloves.

What do you use, or what do you recommend? Is the 500 dollars for a Zumo 550 worth all the money or would something else suffice?

I found a motorcycle Garmin in the Garmin store in Chicago. Said it was shockproof and waterproof. It was a 500 series. $300. I'll see if I can find it.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=13424

They don't classify it as motorcycle, but it's waterproof so I don't see why you couldn't use it.

Edited by RSVDon

I use a Garmin 705 which is actually my Bicycle GPS. It has a small screen which makes a little hard to see but it is easy to mount out of the way and takes up very little room. Being a cycling computer it has some fun features not normally found on a car based unit. First off it is waterproof. It also has options to track top speed, avg speed, elevation, heart rate...etc..... It has a full color screen and will allow you to route using back roads only.

DSCN0731.jpg

Garmin705.jpg

Edited by garysol1

what garmin,magellan, tomtom.. will let you make your won route on the computer and transfer it over to the gps.

besides the zumo and rider..

most the lower end models dont have that feature..

anyone know which ones do?

that being said i had a garmin 205 and it worked great, aside from i wanted to make my own routes and input them, which it didnt do.

The TomTom has a web page mapping application. I'm guessing it allows a transfer, but I just found it and haven't tried it yet. I'll add the link here, after I get the NetBook out and see what the bookmark is.

I also found out the TomTom will puke and not see any GPS sats, if you don't update and patch the software. Weird...

edit: The update added an optional application called TomTom Home to the computer. It accesses the *beta* map planning website. It does not appear to have maps for central or western USA yet. I'll read the support and try creating a simple route and adding it to the GPS unit. I'll add a couple of screen shots.

I bought a cheap TomTom 130 refurb from newegg, and a cheap handlebar mount from mountguys. Impulse purchase.

I like the instructions to headphones/buds, but I don't think this one does that. I have an older Chinese Asus that does that on FM radio. The Asus won't mount to the handlebars (nothing available, and I haven't been creative), it has to ride in a pocket. I can't see spending hundreds on a motorcycle unit that does both and all.

edit2: I also added POI for speed camera warnings and all Honda, BMW and Yamaha motorcycle shop locations.

tomtom01.jpg

Edited by ReconRat

I have Garmin Nuvi 765t. If you're REALLY that concerned about the unit getting wet, you can purchase a waterproof RAM enclosure for it. I prefer to use a Marine Bag, but I've only had to pull it out of the mount and pocket it one time. Most of the time as long as you're moving at a good click, the unit stays dry.

765t allows you to upload maps from google, mapsource, or city navigator. IMHO motorcycle specific modules are an added $200 - $400 more for the waterproof factor. A 3 cent ziploc makes your unit waterproof as well.

I've never really checked this, most GPSs work off pressure sensitivity and not electrical impulses from the finger right? So they can be easily used with a glove on?

Correct, you'll be hard pressed (pun) to find an electro touchscreen on much more than a smart phone (someone will find examples I'm sure)..

I got the 780, there are VERY good deals on all the MSN Direct models because the service is being depracated in 2012 (still works without it, just no msn service).

i use the garmin nuvi 255. its cheap, does what i need it to do. just cant justify spending that kind of money to be waterproof. haven't had any challenges with it yet, just dont use it when its wet out

same here. I got a good deal on it and you can use a program to pre plan routes and upload them so thats all I wanted

I'm with those who advocate the CHEAP solution.

$45 refurb from an online site will get the job done, and you won't cry if it gets wet, stolen, etc.

I've put my (car) tom tom in the map pocket of a tank bag more than once. The only problem is keeping it powered for extended trips.

I have a few GPS units, I primarily use a TomTom720 (same specs as a Rider, only not moto-specific). I don't care about the waterproofness...$.10 plastic baggie and a zip tie fixes that on the occasions it rains.

I also have a Nuvi 6xx series, and a Garmin 60Cx, that I use for either bike or car travel.

IMHO, here's the pro's cons of the two brands, at least for street travel (TomTom doesn't have anything for offroad use really)

TomTom Pro's: Better interface, better routing, more aftermarket stuff you can do to it (modding, apps, etc), cheaper, more features than similar Garmins.

Cons: Screens aren't as bright, customer service isn't quite as good.

Garmin Pro's: The standard, everyone seems to use them. Great customer service, bright screens, reliable units, lots of warez options if you don't like paying for maps (this means you will burn in hell).

Cons: More expensive, clunkier interface for some options, harder to mod or change features, routing isn't as customizable or as intuitive on the fly.

That's my tooth hence, anyway.

I have a few GPS units, I primarily use a TomTom720 (same specs as a Rider, only not moto-specific). I don't care about the waterproofness...$.10 plastic baggie and a zip tie fixes that on the occasions it rains.

I also have a Nuvi 6xx series, and a Garmin 60Cx, that I use for either bike or car travel.

IMHO, here's the pro's cons of the two brands, at least for street travel (TomTom doesn't have anything for offroad use really)

TomTom Pro's: Better interface, better routing, more aftermarket stuff you can do to it (modding, apps, etc), cheaper, more features than similar Garmins.

Cons: Screens aren't as bright, customer service isn't quite as good.

Garmin Pro's: The standard, everyone seems to use them. Great customer service, bright screens, reliable units, lots of warez options if you don't like paying for maps (this means you will burn in hell).

Cons: More expensive, clunkier interface for some options, harder to mod or change features, routing isn't as customizable or as intuitive on the fly.

That's my tooth hence, anyway.

Wifey's got a Garmin, & she just got me a TomTom on Black Friday. One simple thing I noticed right away is that I like the mounting of the Garm better with the ram type ball/socket setup. The Tom's got this snapring kinda thing, & I never seem to be able to get it to snap right without putting my thumbs on the screen & pressing, which then I'm afraid I'm gonna break

Wifey's got a Garmin, & she just got me a TomTom on Black Friday. One simple thing I noticed right away is that I like the mounting of the Garm better with the ram type ball/socket setup. The Tom's got this snapring kinda thing, & I never seem to be able to get it to snap right without putting my thumbs on the screen & pressing, which then I'm afraid I'm gonna break

I didn't mention mounting because along the way all the different models had a slightly different method. My Nuvi has a top/bottom slot, the TT720 is a sliding gizmo that sucks...I replaced it with a Ram Cradle, and luckily there are alternatives for almost any model if you find the OEM mount lacking...and none I've seen are really appropriate for a motorcycle anyway.

I've got a TomTom RIDER version 1. The functionality is fantastic, but the hardware design sucks. They remedied that with the RIDER V2 though, so I feel reasonably confident in saying that if the hardware for the RIDER V2 is up to par with the software, it's certainly a very good GPS and worth checking out.

Yes, bike-specific GPS's are expensive, but that's because they're ruggedized. I took a spill and my GPS fell off the bike, slammed into the pavement, and skittered down the road. I picked it up and it was still working perfectly; didn't even turn off. Show me a car GPS that can do the same thing and I'll stick my RIDER in the oven and eat it for dinner.

I've never used the TomTom route planning software, but only because I use another piece of software that works so well I see no reason to ever switch. I use Tyre (<-click), which is free and as far as I know only works with TomToms. It uses Google Earth for the maps, so by default it already beats any proprietary TomTom software. Making routes is pretty easy, and when you load one up on the GPS and start riding it works flawlessly (provided you made the route well)...I've taken 400-mile rides through twisties and back roads and it tells me exactly where to go and it's quite easy to make on the fly changes such as gas stops and stuff.

I don't have any experience using anything but my TomTom on my bike, but aside from the hardware gripes I have with the V1, it's an fantastic unit. I like it so much I plan on buying a V2 when my V1 finally dies. Though at this rate it'll probably outlive me. The MSRP on V2's is stupidly high, but if you do some searching you can find the new in box for a few hundred less.