What is the best way to measure your bike for saddlebags??

cklown001

I was wondering what was the best way to measure and fit your bike for saddlebags. I have a 97 Yahama Viargo 1100 and want to get some bags for it. I just don't know how to measure for the bags. Also if anyone knows what size to place on my bike and anywere to get a good set of bags at a good price please let me know, Thanks..

One option is to roll somewhere that has lots of bags so you can hold them up and check them out. Iron Pony in Columbus certainly comes to mind they have a boatload of them there. Another option is to find other people with your bike and find out what they have used....I did a quick google and found one that looks real busy:

http://viragotechforum.com/phpBB/index.php

Or hit a few of the bag manf websites...they usually have detailed dimensions. I have mad replica's of their dimensions out of cardboard in the past and held them up to my bikes to be sure.

I have a 95 Virago 1100 and these are the bags I bought. They fit tight but they work.

Are they the best? No.

Waterproof? No.

Are they functional? Yes.

I can fit my lunch in one and my rain-gear in the other.

As far as Jafrum.com goes, I bought mine through Amazon for 29.99 on sale last year. The first set I got had a buckle tear off on my first test run when they were empty. I called them up and they sent me a return label and after a week I had another set delivered and they have been rock solid. I do not anticipate them lasting more than three or fours years (but then again I hope to be on a new bike by then as well) but I do feel that they are a decent value.

If you are able to and like Tonik said just take your bike up to the pony and test fit different bags..

Look in my album I have a 83 yamaha virago 500 with a set of bags I got from the pony.I had to fab up some hangers to make the supports work. But I think they look pretty good.