Good Places to Live Near Cleveland?

katanafreak

Ok, so I get out of the Army in July and I am coming back to Ohio. I have lived in the youngstown area my whole life except for the last 5 years I have been in Fort Hood, Texas. I am going to school full time at Cleveland State University when i get back. Where is a nice area to live in near there? The area doesn't have to be right near there, but not looking to make a crazy 45 minute commute one way every day. Any suggestions? Its been a long time since I been in ohio and im sure places and area have changed some. Thanks for any and all advice!!! :popcorn:

lol tons of haters. This is an easy one for me but it depends on a bunch of factors:

Suburban or City?

College-ish area or Neigborhoods?

Do you party and want to be close to bars?

I assume renting so what is your price range?

LOL i am kinda a older guy (31) lol and I have three kids, so I am looking for a area that is safe and kid friendly. I will be going to school for a while and just want to know what areas are good and what areas have gotten bad. it can be a little ways away from downtown but dont really wanna be an hour or so away. i am not trying to live right in cleveland just a nice suburb or small farm town out the way?

Money plays a big part in that too... I mean, you want 3 kids in a 1200sq ft house, or 3 kids in a 2300sq ft house, with a longer commute?

Some really nice westside digs are in Avon, Bay Village, and Westlake. I don't have kids, but I'd venture that these areas also have the best schools. As long as you're ok with paying $3,000 a half, for property taxes...

Strongsville probably wouldn't be too bad either, but that's more south.

There are some nicer areas in Avon Lake, Sheffield, Sheffield Lake, Olmstead Falls, North Olmstead, and North Ridgeville too, but I wouldn't consider the entire cities 'nice' - you have to get in the right area.

Edited by JRMMiii

lol i am old for the army :) i am guys in my unit that are 17-21 i am considered the old guy lol. Thanks for all the great suggestions on areas. i am looking up houses to buy/rent in some of them now. Keep the area coming. so far they have all been great!

Ok definitely suburbs then, most of the suburbs are no more than 30mins tops from downtown.

Like Jrmmiii said price point really makes a big difference but I grew up in Brecksville/Broadview Hts area and the school system is awesome and plenty of neighborhood and kids. I actually decided to even move back here instead of closer to work which for me is about 45min south.

Strongsville. North Royalton, and Independence are also very good suburbs right around this area with good schools and should take no more than 20mins to get to CSU. If you like more of a "country" feel, try looking at Richfield

Edited by Bad324

Ok, so I get out of the Army in July and I am coming back to Ohio. I have lived in the youngstown area my whole life except for the last 5 years I have been in Fort Hood, Texas. I am going to school full time at Cleveland State University when i get back. Where is a nice area to live in near there? The area doesn't have to be right near there, but not looking to make a crazy 45 minute commute one way every day. Any suggestions? Its been a long time since I been in ohio and im sure places and area have changed some. Thanks for any and all advice!!! :popcorn:

willoughby is nice and you have close access to rt 2 to get into cleveland.

same with solon and some parts of Mafiald Hei-- I mean, mayfield heights.

Lakewood has some pretty decent spots too, and property is cheap out that way.

East side I would recommend for their schools and the community would be Mentor, Willowick/Willoughby, Chesterland, Novelty, Bainbridge, Solon, Chardon. Plus with these places you have lower taxes since they are in Lake and Geauga county vs. Cuyahoga county and no more than 30 minutes from CSU.

Ok definitely suburbs then, most of the suburbs are no more than 30mins tops from downtown.

Like Jrmmiii said price point really makes a big difference but I grew up in Brecksville/Broadview Hts area and the school system is awesome and plenty of neighborhood and kids. I actually decided to even move back here instead of closer to work which for me is about 45min south.

Strongsville. North Royalton, and Independence are also very good suburbs right around this area with good schools and should take no more than 20mins to get to CSU. If you like more of a "country" feel, try looking at Richfield

Maybe Sagamore Hills. :confused:

Maybe Sagamore Hills. :confused:

Sagamore isn't bad, Nordonia is a pretty reasonable school. I figured with 3 kids the school system would probably be one of the bigger selling points and I know most of the schools out this way pretty well

Avoid Cuyahoga county due to the high property and sales taxes, and house and car insurance. Look in Summit county, like Northfield. If you want east, look in Lake county. Mentor schools are great for education and sports.

Brunswick or Brunswick Hills township are pretty good. Schools are among the top in the state and would put you about 30-40 minutes from CSU. Plus Brunswick has won a bunch of awards for being family friendly and all that stuff. http://www.brunswick.oh.us/Administration/Awards.pdf

Oh yea and if you move to Brunswick Hills township there are no city taxes.