Columbus ohio plumber needed

Hwilli

My bathtub will not drain. I have used several different drain cleaners with no success. I also attempted to snake it, but it is an old house so the drainage system has a lot of odd bends. I also have a section that is plastic, so the heavy duty drain cleaners are no go.

TIA,

Howard

I would at Moose. But I think the hand surgery might be an issue.

Have you tried snakeing it? Also if it has a lever type drain pull out the assembly. I would bet it's covered in gunk.

For tub drains, I use a powerful wet/dry vac and a wet rag to seal, and slurp it all out. Seems to work well and quickly. Might have to dig some out, but it gets it up there where you can do that.

• 5 months later...
My bathtub will not drain. I have used several different drain cleaners with no success. I also attempted to snake it, but it is an old house so the drainage system has a lot of odd bends.

TIA,

Howard

I'm gonna bump this thread -- except replace the underlined words, in order with the following:

1) ...Kitchen sink / garbage disposal...

2) ...my 1/4" x 25' snake only pulled out about 3 bits worth of onion husk type stuff that my g/f thought was wise to use the garbage disposal on because "I've never had a problem with it before :confused:" :nono:. It also...

3) Justin

The section is all PVC plastic and slip nuts from the sink to the wall, and the clog (per my snake) is located about 14-18 ft past the P-trap

FH03NOV_CCLOGD_07.JPG

FH03NOV_CCLOGD_12.JPG

I have tried the following:

Drano Gel

Liquid Plumbr Foaming Pipe Snake

Boiling Water

Plunger

Actual pipe snake (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00955441000P?mv=rr&i_cntr=1284910747225)

Next steps are to try throwing some vinegar down there...maybe continue the chemical treatments, I dunno, but I really don't want to call a plumber if I can avoid it. I can basically run the faucet for about 14 seconds before it backs up to the drain in the sink. But after that, it takes a good 3-4 hours / overnight for the water to retreat.

Does ORDN have any tips? Or should I mosey on over to OPDN?

honestly, I highly doubt the PVC will give with the bladder. PVC should have a pressure test rating high enough to withstand one of those little things. I'm no plumber, but we use standard PVC from time to time at work (natural gas pipelines) so I would assume you'd be ok

If you know where the clog is, run the snake back and forth through it till it's gone. Clogs often clog back up right away, from all the loose debris, I guess. Making it seem like it didn't work. I don't just poke a hole in the clog, that's not enough.

And no joke about the shop vac, it will slam a clog out backwards, if you can seal off the vents that might be in the run between the shop vac and the clog.

Otherwise... go with the skinny muskrat...

I don't think my shop vac has enough chutzpa to suck a clog 14' back up the 1.5" drain pipe.

I understand the whole poking through the clog thing, I did that twice and figured it would break up after I poked two holes in it. Apparently not, and it's a real b*tch to get the snake around the 3 bends to the clog, so I quit after I pulled up 3 empty lines. I might keep at it, though it makes the kitchen really messy when I pullout. <insert pullout joke here>

That bladder is looking better and better... water pressure ftw.

Yeah... the bladder looks like cool tech. I'd try it. Drains handle the same pressures as water lines. So it shouldn't go over whatever your water pressure is. Probably max 30psi. If any drain lines break, then they were weak and going to break someday anyway.

Note: if you don't get it down past any vertical vents (or plug the vents), it will just push the water up the vent and do nothing. My kitchen vent is behind the kitchen wall, in the utility room. And there is a Y or T type cap there that is a lot easier to snake through.

Edited by ReconRat

My bathtub will not drain. I have used several different drain cleaners with no success. I also attempted to snake it, but it is an old house so the drainage system has a lot of odd bends. I also have a section that is plastic, so the heavy duty drain cleaners are no go.

TIA,

Howard

Drain cleaners are worthless. Fill the pipe with water, then snake the hell out of it. If its far down the drain, you may need to rent a power snake. If its outside the house, you may have bigger issues. There could be a yard trap. Once you get it cleared, get a drop in hair catcher. They will save you lots of headaches.

And tell MJ to quit flushing tampoons! :D

• Upvote 1

Sink 2

Justin 0

Showered with water... that bladder creates a lot of back pressure if it doesn't clear the clog. Neat little device, but failed to unclog the pipe (the second time I didn't get sprayed as bad because I knew what to expect). Tried the snake again, up to 24'... got a little more gunk, but nothing major. I'm out of options - I might need to call in the big guns.