Vespa - what do you think?

Cbosman

So the wife wants a vespa and I am wondering if this is a good idea. These things are slower than a sloth or moss growing. I have been on a few and know they are agile. But I was wondering if someone has any experience with owning one. What are the pros and cons. I guess I need some info and understanding. I want her to be safe and hopefully be able to get on the highway. She's such a girl ... It's pretty. I know she should get something she likes, but I want her to not die.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You DO know that motorcycles aren't very safe, by their very nature, right?

My experience with Scooters, (not Vespas) has been limited to renting one at the beach once. They'll do what you want it to do, but I didn't get anywhere near highway speeds, etc.

My parents way back in the day (It was 1956 and bought it at Sears) drove from Ohio to Mexico and back on a 49cc two-stroke Vespa with I believe 3.5 hp. So that's two people on a 49cc bike WITH gear. There were times on small hills and such that it would only go 10-15mph and my dad had to stop every so often to clean out the built up carbon.

Vespa's get my respect (but that's not saying much)

Riding a Vespa is like banging a fat chic, lot's of fun until your friends see you on it...but it's perfect for a girl. Vespa's have never been out of style ;)

I'll look into the yamaha, but she is all about the vespa. She likes the look and idea of runningto the store and short runs. I did tell her nothing smaller than a 150cc. Also I do know that motrcycles are not the safest thing. So basically no highway. I just might have to mod the thing.

I'll look into the yamaha, but she is all about the vespa. She likes the look and idea of runningto the store and short runs. I did tell her nothing smaller than a 150cc. Also I do know that motrcycles are not the safest thing. So basically no highway. I just might have to mod the thing.

Here is a scooter that will to an 11 second quarter ;)

drag-scooter-becomes_800x0w.jpg

drag-scooter-becomes-1_800x0w.jpg

My Wife picked up an 250cc MP3 a short while back...Never pictured myself on a scooter, but this thing is ridiculous fun around town. I've, ahem, heard that it will handily exceed the posted highway speeds around this part of the country, too.

LOTS of front end traction/braking; I've been working on removing the center-stand--one millimeter at a time :wink:...Lots of underseat storage as well.

picture.php?albumid=745&pictureid=8029&thumb=1

This is the scoot I ride all the time around town. I've never taken it on the freeway' date=' but it'll do ~60mph with me on it. (225 lbs) 16" wheels and air-cooled. Front disc brake and plenty of zip for doing the "in town" thing. Plus, it's way cheaper than a Vespa.

[img']http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_SgcsNsuGiqg/R3Kr4Eo_a8I/AAAAAAAAAFg/tnJYzTZI62c/s400/Kymco+People+50+Ivory.jpg

I would totally rock that. Not a fan of the Yammie that bluebird posted, I really, really hate those headlights.

Yeah I would go with something at least 125cc. I have a Honda Ruckus which is a blast to ride around town. The problem is getting into traffic can be a little dangerous.

I'm actually thinking of getting a 125 Zuma. I think that will be perfect.

i want a scooter.

Same here. I rocked a 50cc Honda Metropolitan and it was very cool. I'm not going to lie, riding around with no helmet and absolutely no gear was really unnerving, but your inner squid takes over and you get over it. :)

i want to get a scooter so i can gently prod my gf into riding a bike like thing. hell, if the scooter goes well, maybe i can even get her to ride one of my bikes so she wont get all pissy when i go riding.

Now this is interesting. the Honda DN-01. Full auto intelligent transmission, ABS, 27" seat height, full upright seating. Not technically a scooter, but a cool hybrid and very easy to ride I imagine. I'd love to take one for a ride.

dn01_us_lead.jpg

honda-dn-01.jpg

They're stupid heavy.

Hold on, wait a minute. Are we really talking about scooters without any input from me??????

The only advice I can give is if you plan on doing any highway riding plan on getting at least a 250cc.

And stay away from Chinese knockoffs, they're junk, stick with a good quality like Vespa, Yamaha, or Honda.

:scooter:

I sometimes miss my SilverWing. :lol: I almost typed that without laughing, no I don't really miss it.