Vespa - what do you think?

Cbosman

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like the Vespa GTS250 is the front runner right now from what she wants. I guess its time to start looking around. Man I really don't want a scooter. Maybe I'll take it too work so the guys can make fun of me.

http://www.kymcousa.com/showroom/scooters/peopleS250/index.html

$1,500 cheaper and is a very good brand. 16" wheels will also make it much more stable. Ride one with 12" wheels and there is a noticeable difference.

http://www.justgottascoot.com/people250s.htm

Edited by Uncle Punk

http://www.kymcousa.com/showroom/scooters/peopleS250/index.html

$1,500 cheaper and is a very good brand. 16" wheels will also make it much more stable. Ride one with 12" wheels and there is a noticeable difference.

http://www.justgottascoot.com/people250s.htm

Saw quite a few kymco's and hyosungs when I was in China. Decent scoots.

I've been trying to convince the wife to get a Vino for a while now. Can easily find 50cc for under a grand on Craigslist. Go for it. Wifey may come home from Florida in June and find one in the garage where the t'yota usually parks.

Saw quite a few kymco's and hyosungs when I was in China. Decent scoots.

I don't have any experience with the Kymco's but my wifes DiamoTornino150 was chinese and I felt it was pretty cheap quality.' I've read lots of bad things about the chinese scoots but at the time she wanted it and there was no changing her mind. Kymco's are made in tawian I think.

I'm just gonna jump in here and ask... For the prices these scooters go for, why would someone buy one? You could get a real motorcycle for the price you'd pay for a scooter... I'm clearly missing something here.

I've always thought the same thing about people buying cars instead of pick-up trucks.

I'm just gonna jump in here and ask... For the prices these scooters go for, why would someone buy one? You could get a real motorcycle for the price you'd pay for a scooter... I'm clearly missing something here.

I see it as a foot in a door. My wife has absolutely no interest in getting on motorized 2-wheels. So maybe a cute little vespa/ish scooter to zip up to Cup-o-Joe might get her started. Besides, I'm never allowed to ride for recreational purposes, so it might actually get ME out more. And in the end, it is truly all about me.

I already owned a motorcycle. I wanted a scooter to ride back and forth to work on. Scoots aren't for everyone. I like them... they are a blast to ride. Of course' date=' you sort of have to not really give a fuck what anyone else thinks. I don't, so I own a scooter.[/quote']

Scooter, Ninja 250, you've gotta have thick skin to own something of the sort around here.

I already owned a motorcycle. I wanted a scooter to ride back and forth to work on. Scoots aren't for everyone. I like them... they are a blast to ride. Of course' date=' you sort of have to not really give a fuck what anyone else thinks. I don't, so I own a scooter.[/quote']

I could give a shit what people think, too. I just figured that a motorcycle still has the benefits of a scooter, ie ease of parking, and great gas mileage, but without the joys of aftermarket mods and agility.

LoLoL... yeah. I've been eyeing a $400 carbon fiber exhaust for my scoot for almost 2 years. I'll let the agility comment slide' date=' for now. Let's just say I could get to work just as quickly on my scoot as I could on my 748. Besides, it's a lot of fun watching people's faces when you pass them on double yellow on a scooter. My Ducati didn't have shit on my scoot with regard to commuting and city traffic agility.

Edit: Never mind the fact I could go to work and back for a whole week on 1.8 gallons of 87 octane. Another facet of the commute that has the sportbike beat.[/quote']

Well, I'd not haveever guessed that. Such learnin's this site provides.

Scooters vs. motorcycles for economy of ownership can't be compared. Maintenance, tires, mpg and resale is way better for scooters. Not everyone needs to drive around with their hair on fire. Scooters are simple to operate, lightweight and not intimidating. Scooters can compare to cruisers in weight to hp ratio and are just as much fun if not more that cruisers. That big Yamaha T-Max can keep up with most cruisers with the exceptions of the power cruisers.

Scooters vs. motorcycles for economy of ownership can't be compared. Maintenance, tires, mpg and resale is way better for scooters. Not everyone needs to drive around with their hair on fire. Scooters are simple to operate, lightweight and not intimidating. Scooters can compare to cruisers in weight to hp ratio and are just as much fun if not more that cruisers. That big Yamaha T-Max can keep up with most cruisers with the exceptions of the power cruisers.

That whole "hair on fire" thing is what I hate most about my bike. Not to mention a tank of premium every 150 miles.

That big Yamaha T-Max can keep up with most cruisers with the exceptions of the power cruisers.

My SilverWing topped out at 110mph (indicated) and more than once I smoked a Harley on 270!

I agree, I don't see the point. But my wife is set on a vespa, I have given her every other option. She likes them because they are cute, and well eventhough I would want to by her a gsxr, I respect that a vespa is what she wants and I don't really understand it beyond that she likes them. Me I have been looking into vespa mods, we might actually be able to have some fun with this :)

I am thankful for all the imput thus far.

I have a friend who put a 150cc motor in a 50cc Ruckus. It's a blast to ride and he now has plans to supercharge it. I can't wait to ride it then.

Don't let the cost vs. a bike thing bother you; the overall cost of ownership is cheaper.

I still would highly recommend she test ride a scooter with 12" wheels and 16" wheels at highway speeds if that's some of the riding she will be doing. There is a world of difference in stability. If you have any influence on her you should do a test also it has to be felt to explain well.

Edited by Uncle Punk

I have a friend who put a 150cc motor in a 50cc Ruckus. It's a blast to ride and he now has plans to supercharge it. I can't wait to ride it then.

Don't let the cost vs. a bike thing bother you; the overall cost of ownership is cheaper.

I still would highly recommend she test ride a scooter with 12" wheels and 16" wheels at highway speeds if that's some of the riding she will be doing. There is a world of difference in stability. If you have any influence on her you should do a test also it has to be felt to explain well.

Damn you UP, get back to your usual thread-jacking self! :lol:

I have seen some very good responses here! I was sort of hinting to my wife about getting one, instead of keeping 2 bikes, but now I'm glad that we kept the 250, since it's still running, and honda is not!

For anyone looking at an in town runner, dig up vw151's thread about his Yamahopper! That thing is cool on it's own level!