When does a bike need a new chain?

CBRunninfast

So my cbr f2 recently turned an old but wise 17 years, and I expect that things will invariably need to be repaired/adjusted/replaced more often. I recently adjusted my chain due to it having too much slack, and I noticed it's nearing the point at which it can't be "tightened" anymore. Does this mean it's time for a new chain?

Do you need a new chain? Hell no.

Just take it off, and flip it over before you put it back on. It's just like turning a pair of underwear inside out so you can get another day or two out of 'em.

If you really have to ask, then you should pretty much be able to assume the answer. Yes, you need a new chain.

Very much yes. How often are you oiling/lubing/cleaning it?

I lube it fairly often, and this isn't the original 93' chain. I plan to purchase a new one asap. Another thing, I'm no certified bike mechanic to say the least. but how difficult would it be for me to put the new chain on myself? My only experiences, although successes, have been changing the oil / oil filter, installing a new battery, and adjusting the chain. Have mercy on me when responding please.

Its all good man. People on the internet are assholes cuz we're bored. Its better to ask and know then have some misfortunate accident and wind up in the fallen riders section.

Chains are a bit more difficult to work on since there are specialized tools needed. Theres alot of guys here that are pretty nice and have the tools, if theyre close wouldnt mind helping out. I just dont happen to be one of them. Sorry. *Meant I didnt have the tools...not that im not a nice guy.

Edited by ohdaho
being an asshole

Its all good man. People on the internet are assholes cuz we're bored. Its better to ask and know then have some misfortunate accident and wind up in the fallen riders section.

Chains are a bit more difficult to work on since there are specialized tools needed. Theres alot of guys here that are pretty nice and have the tools, if theyre close wouldnt mind helping out. I just dont happen to be one of them. Sorry. *Meant I didnt have the tools...not that im not a nice guy.

Thanks for the insight... any recommendations on Cleveland-area bike shops? Or anyone who wants to make a quick buck throwing on a chain for that matter? haha

I have had a chain break on me. Its quite a scary event. Luckily I didn't go down. Just purchase a new one. and get Press style masterlink. Don't use the clip. Dont use an ebay chain. My chain incident happend due to an ebay chain and masterlink. Just remember, you get what you pay for.

Thanks for the insight... any recommendations on Cleveland-area bike shops? Or anyone who wants to make a quick buck throwing on a chain for that matter? haha

order what you need and send it to Pauly. DucRx, Isaac's Papa is his user name here

Wow :nono:

Way to be a dick... How the hell is he supposed to know if he doesn't ask :rolleyes:

Sorry we aren't all knowing like u ..

I have no patience for that crap.. A new guy on the board is asking for help, and you have to be an ass... typical.

order what you need and send it to Pauly. DucRx, Isaac's Papa is his user name here

+1

You should get a both sprockets while your at it. I have the tool and am a little closer but work third shift. Finding the time for me is the issue. Working on bikes is what Pauly does for a living so he would be your best bet. I'm just a do it yourself er and know my bike and that's about it but could help if you can't get it out to him.

As with everything I say " Do it right the first time and be done with it." Point is get all the parts you will need chain, sprockets, crush washer and I would suggest a manual so you can look at it if you get in a pinch. It will also give you a better idea of when things go bad before you just can't get any more out of it. Like measuring chain stretch.

My only experiences, although successes, have been changing the oil / oil filter, installing a new battery, and adjusting the chain.

Be sure to check your sprockets also when you do the chain. You can probably do it, it isn't that hard of a job. Biggest thing is chasing down the tools...the little press for the master link. By the time you do that it might be better to just have someone do it. Unless you ride a lot and go through chains, then it would pay to get the stuff you need.

I have had a chain break on me. Its quite a scary event. Luckily I didn't go down. Just purchase a new one. and get Press style masterlink. Don't use the clip. Dont use an ebay chain. My chain incident happend due to an ebay chain and masterlink. Just remember, you get what you pay for.

the two web pages I just had tabbed on firefox were : ohioriders (this post) and ebay (search cbr f2 chain/sprockets) , I'll go with your advice and buy OEM... but out of curiosity what's the functional difference btw press style masterlink and a chain/masterlink? everyone's help on this site is awesome btw

+1

You should get a both sprockets while your at it. I have the tool and am a little closer but work third shift. Finding the time for me is the issue. Working on bikes is what Pauly does for a living so he would be your best bet. I'm just a do it yourself er and know my bike and that's about it but could help if you can't get it out to him.

As with everything I say " Do it right the first time and be done with it." Point is get all the parts you will need chain, sprockets, crush washer and I would suggest a manual so you can look at it if you get in a pinch. It will also give you a better idea of when things go bad before you just can't get any more out of it. Like measuring chain stretch.

ok... from what I'm reading, and after checking the sprockets out, I should prob get all of the above because the teeth on the sprockets look a little worn and maybe even bent a bit. thanks for the heads up

what's the functional difference btw press style masterlink and a chain/masterlink?

Press style means you put the link on then you 'press' the ends of the links shafts to mushroom them. Much more like how an original chain is made. The clip type master link you slide a clip over the pins. Most people will say that the clip ones are not as safe, they can catch on road debris and get ripped off. I agree and will only use solid mushrooming type chain links. However there is a giant debate on this issue and I am sure this thread will now continue for pages and pages.

for anything I can't do myself, I've heard good things about MPH Ohio.

they did the suspension install and setup on my friend's SV650. Pricing was reasonable, and the work was absolutely top-notch.

They'll likely be refreshing my forks and shock next winter.