Gas Station Question

AfroCBR

Hello all! I had a question specifically regarding what gas stations everyone uses. I have perused other posts and have not found a post relating to what I am asking (however if you have come across one if you could direct me to it that would be great). I am not sure if everyone is aware, but I have been tlod (by a reliable source) that there are only certain gas stations that have strict regulations the type of fuel they use. What I mean by this is there are some gas station companies that do not have strict regulations, and can legally dilute their gas (with God only knows what). The end result for us riders is that we get "bad gas" in our tanks and this can equal a multitude of problems. I'm not sure if others have experienced this issue like me, but I have experienced this "bad gas" problem and my bike would randomly stop and "chug" until I refueled my tank. I had no idea what was happening but found out from utilizing this site that I indeed had put in "bad gas."

To get to the point, I was told that Shell, UDF, and Speedway gas stations are the only gas stations that can be trusted, as they have strict regulations regarding not diluting the gas they serve. My question is, is there any other reputable gas stations that I can trust besides these? Since going to these 3 establishments I have not experienced any "bad gas" issues, however when I am out "carving the canyons" here in OH and Northern KY I find myself in the middle of nowhere with a low tank of gas and only "Papa Joe's Fuel Shack" to fuel up on.....needless to say I am hesitant to utilize "Papa's" services. Does anyone else get as paranoid with the particular gas station they use? And are there any other reputable gas stations other then the aforementioned 3?

Thanks for any insight/input, and ride safe and keep the shiny side up!:retard:

I always fill up at the Meijer and I havent had any problems. But I dont think you can go wrong with the major brands like chevron, exxon, etc.

Then again i just steal gas from cars and bikes with keyless gas caps :D

I use BP because they are the cheapest where I am at and I pass the station to and from home. Never gotten any bad gas. Actually I've never gotten bad gas except for a couple military fuelers. Had some that were like 75-90% water. Wasn't put in my stuff though. :D

Do not ever buy gas from Marathon. The one time I put that crap in my bike I went directly home afterwards so like 1 or 2 miles max and the next day my bike wouldn't even start. I tried putting Seafoam in the tank and still didn't start. I ended up having to drain the tank, purge the fuel lines, buy a gas can because I didn't have one, and fill up with Shell 93 before my bike would even start. Moral of the story...Marathon gas sucks.

All gasoline comes out of pipelines that ship it across the country from refineries. All gas stations use the same gasoline. Both low test and high test and then blend it for in between. Additives are added, that's the only difference. And that's not much.

Old gas stations might have a crappy tank in the ground that has dirt or water. That does happen.

All gasoline comes out of pipelines that ship it across the country from refineries. All gas stations use the same gasoline. Both low test and high test and then blend it for in between. Additives are added, that's the only difference. And that's not much.

Old gas stations might have a crappy tank in the ground that has dirt or water. That does happen.

this...its all the same shit...i just dont fill up at shitty little po-dunk gas stations with only one pump that has cobwebs on it...i dont want that old stale shit...but any main stream gas station will do you just fine...a lot of people like to say BP has water in their gas, they have a horrible rep....but really, i primarily fill up with BP or sunoco because those are the two stations convenient to me (sunoco by my house, bp by my job)...never had bad gas, and my truck has a "Water in Fuel" light, and it has not come on with BP gas

I try to use Sunoco 93 in the bikes, from the local station. I know the owner, and I know they always get their fuel from the same place. For the cars, I go to Kroger, since we almost always get the $.50 off, and they're just transportation.

I really don't buy into the fact that one brand is different than another (other than additives, that is) as much as different from station to station, as Tom said, due to storage tank conditions.

Don't some brands have more detergents than others? I don't thnk I've gotten bad gas, but I vehicles tend to run better on certain brands, Exxon being the best. ???

I usually use Shell and Speedway though, they are the two closest and most convenient to home and work.

Don't some brands have more detergents than others? I don't thnk I've gotten bad gas, but I vehicles tend to run better on certain brands, Exxon being the best. ???

I usually use Shell and Speedway though, they are the two closest and most convenient to home and work.

Yes, I think Shell has one of the best detergent additives. But it's really hard to say who has what anymore. And that's not saying they might suddenly change it, without saying anything about it.

If accurate fuel mileage records are kept, and one fuel gives better gas mileage than another, that would be significant. I kept records like that on my PDA, but all it ever told me is that I needed a tune up (air filter) when the gas mileage went down in general.

here ya go... what brand of gasoline to use?

whatever... "If It Makes You Happy"... it can't be that bad...

and the only time I ever thought Sheryl Crow was... well, you know... hot...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHlAx9oL3Qk&feature=related

Edited by ReconRat

biggest thing is to not get fuel from a station that just had it's tanks refilled. Pumping new fuel inthe tanks causes it to slosh around unsettling dirt, silt and whatever other crap is in it. then that is pumped into your vehicle.

I use mostly Shell or Speedway and haven't ever had problems. I won't use a BP at all since we and a couple of people we know a while back had them refuse to except military ID as a valid form of ID at 2 stations.

Yeah ok, I'm not going in any BP gas stations... that's just wrong...

Way back when, you could drive on your military ID, not needing a driver's license.

Haven't had any issues with gas. Shell, BP, and Speedway are close by home so those get more attention. I've also used Chevron, Costco, Meijer, Marathon, etc. Only problems I get are when I'm in the Dakotas or those middle states filling up with 15% ethanol blend crap. It's not so bad because I have fuel injection, but I do see my MPGs go plunk and I have to rev higher to keep it from coughing and/or stalling.

Just been lucky that my FJR thrives on regular gas. Much nicer on the wallet on those cross-country trips.

i usually will use bp,shell,speedway or major truck stops and all i ever buy is premium gas regular 87 isnt so good with premium i noticed an increase in horsepower and more miles to the gallon. just go with what u feel comfortable with. however buying bad gas is a lot easyer than running out and pushing ur bike on rough uphill terrain just to get good gas. buy a minium amount of gas to get u to the next good station

I do believe that gas stations are checked every year by weights and standards (attorney general). Thats what the sticker is on the pump. And if you do believe you got bad gas some where report them. Or your four gallon tank now miraculously holds five call them.

I've used all stations and never have a problem.

I will never use a station when the semi is there filling their tanks because it tends to stir the settlement shit from the bottom around. No semi there, I fill up where ever I need to. Never had an issue anywhere.

QuikTrip

Chevron

Texaco

MFA Oil Co.

Conoco

Phillips 66

Entec Stations

Shell

The Somerset Refinery, Inc.

Kwik Trip / Kwik Star

Aloha Petroleum

Tri-Par Oil Co.