New Rider, test question

cg2112

Hi, new rider here (not all that new, really, but never got my endorsement).

I need to take the test for the endorsement sometime in the next three weeks, and I'm trying to find out a little bit about the test.

I know basically what the test consists of, my biggest question is about the cone weave test. Anyone know if the cones are offset? I've read on some webpages that they are, but on the BMV site, they show a diagram of the test, and they aren't offset. Anyone recently taken the test know for sure?

Thanks!

Welcome to the site!

I don't have the slightest idea! I barely remember doing it in the BRC! You might want to see if you can get into a class through the state. It's only $25, and successful completion is the same as passing the test.

the cones were offset in 2005.

I biffed the third one and basically rode down the center of them. that's only a 5 point deduction, so DO NOT GIVE UP.

I was convinced that I had already failed, but kept going. Turned out that was my only deduction, and I passed.

I can do the cones offset pretty well, about 90% of the time (now that I've practiced a bunch), but I'd be able to breeze through it without a thought if they weren't offset.

I'm taking the class in September, but because of a dumbass move on my part (no helmet), I need to get the endorsement sooner than that. Basically, the judge gave me a three week continuance and told me to come back with a full endorsement. No helmet on a temp is a 1st degree misdemeanor (same as prostitution or DUI), something I didn't realize before hand. So I'm guessing (he didn't say) that he's going to cut me a break if I pass the test and demonstrate that I wasn't putting myself in severe danger (or, more than usual danger than one is in without a helmet).

I went with a friend who got his license a few years ago (2007 I think). The cones were not offset and they were very close together. He was on a 250 so he didn't have a problem. He did miss a little on the 'take off, swerve then stop here' section. Just stay loose and don't worry.

There was also a guy on a brand new Harley in full dress Harley merchandise who went first. We were too far away to hear words but he stopped him mid test and I guess told him that he wasn't going to pass and to go practice and come back. Brand new rider, large heavy bike no ride time on equals not good.

the cones were offset in 2005.

I biffed the third one and basically rode down the center of them. that's only a 5 point deduction, so DO NOT GIVE UP.

I was convinced that I had already failed, but kept going. Turned out that was my only deduction, and I passed.

Yeah.... I watched the guy on the Fat Boy ahead of me pretty much do the same thing. Is it bad when you're dragging a cone with your rear wheel, down the row :dunno:

Anyways.... Somehow he passed, & all the pressure lifted off me on my little 550. I used to go out to the bureau after hours & practice through the painted course for weeks ahead of time. I figured if that clown passed, I had nothin' to worry about! :cool:

I know basically what the test consists of, my biggest question is about the cone weave test. Anyone know if the cones are offset? I've read on some webpages that they are, but on the BMV site, they show a diagram of the test, and they aren't offset. Anyone recently taken the test know for sure?

Thanks!

They are offset, this is me doing the cones on my old scooter, these are

the actual test layout locations at the BMV test station in Hilliard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w47czhy_GAU

Here is a copy of the entire skills test as of a few years ago.

http://www.davidrosso.com/temp/OH_MC_Skills_Test.pdf

Edited by SWing'R
Added link to pdf skills test

the test is called the ALT-MOST test, and is used by something like 38 states.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-training/motorcycle-test/

yes the cones are offset.

the trick to the cones, and motorcycle riding in general, is look where you WANT to go, not where you are going.

if you're looking down at your front wheel to make sure youre not hitting a cone, then youre doing it wrong. you should be looking at the next cone coming up, or maybe the one after that.

same with the U turn. turn your head around and look back over your shoulder. use the rear brake to modulate your speed. easy peasy.

Me and my roommate went to the main BMV on broad st. about 3 months ago for his motorcycle test

his cones were NOT OFFSET

I asked the lady about it and she said they changed it and it's a little easier now

If you can do it with them offset you should have no problem since they won't be offset (unless he somehow got lucky and they decided to not offset them just for him)

I took it in July of '08 at the Alum Creek bmv. I remember the cones being in line. 2 guys showed up on Goldwings. First one blew it. Second one borrowed my 250 and aced it.

There was also a guy on a brand new Harley in full dress Harley merchandise who went first. We were too far away to hear words but he stopped him mid test and I guess told him that he wasn't going to pass and to go practice and come back. Brand new rider, large heavy bike no ride time on equals not good.

Ever see the bumper sticker that says, "Fifteen grand and fifteen miles does not make you a biker"?

It was talking about that guy. :p

Welcome to the site!

I don't have the slightest idea! I barely remember doing it in the BRC! You might want to see if you can get into a class through the state. It's only $25, and successful completion is the same as passing the test.

This............and it lowers your insurance rates ;)

When I took my test, the instructor told me you can ride right down the middle of the cones and are only deducted 5 points, same as missing one cone or all. So if you end up missing a cone don't try too hard to get the rest of them and put your foot. That's a failure.

Now keep in mind I took mine a year ago so this may have changed, don't take my word for it, ask first.

I think Chevy's right, I think you can nail all the cones and still pass the test

so long as you ace the rest of it but put a foot down in the left turn

or cones and its automatic failure.

The cones you see in my video, I got them at Lowes, they are about 6 inches

tall and at least that big around at the base. I practiced every evening for weeks with them until I could do it with ease.

If you can get good enough to use such large cones then the actual test is a breeze cause they use these little tiny

things about the size of a fricken hockey puck.

I can do the cones offset pretty well, about 90% of the time (now that I've practiced a bunch), but I'd be able to breeze through it without a thought if they weren't offset.

I'm taking the class in September, but because of a dumbass move on my part (no helmet), I need to get the endorsement sooner than that. Basically, the judge gave me a three week continuance and told me to come back with a full endorsement. No helmet on a temp is a 1st degree misdemeanor (same as prostitution or DUI), something I didn't realize before hand. So I'm guessing (he didn't say) that he's going to cut me a break if I pass the test and demonstrate that I wasn't putting myself in severe danger (or, more than usual danger than one is in without a helmet).

Not trying to be that guy but just wear a helmet, we have at least 1-2 riders a year from this site that die in motorcycle accidents. Good luck with the test, but pass or fail just wear a helmet.

Hi, new rider here (not all that new, really, but never got my endorsement).

I need to take the test for the endorsement sometime in the next three weeks, and I'm trying to find out a little bit about the test.

Thanks!

When I took the test they were not offset. However when asked to accelerate and then skid the rear tire when I stopped, I did. The officer said I was the only one that day who did what she asked. She scribbled over the part about me running over the last cone and I passed!

Just NEVER PUT YOUR FOOT DOWN!!!

I'm going to try to walk on to the class tomorrow. Hopefully I can get in that way. I've also scheduled to take the test on the 15th (I wanted to take it earlier, but they're pretty booked - the places near me, Hamilton and Sharonville, are booked until the 22nd, so I'm going to Mt Healthy). Hopefully the class will go well and I won't need to take the test at all, but since I've got a court date depending on getting the endorsement, I'm not going to take chances.