How did this not get publicized???

Casper

If I remember, the statue itself didn't actually cost that much. When the thing first burned, I remember reading that most of the materials and labor had been donated.

I don't really have an issue with the statue so much, except that it kind of looked like a caricature to me, which really only invited mockery.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would wager that church has given more money to the needy than the entirety of the members on this forum combined.

And since we're talking about impossible-to-prove wagers, I'd bet that the church has given less to charity and helping their community than they have on maintaining their campus and rebuilding that statue.

If I remember, the statue itself didn't actually cost that much. When the thing first burned, I remember reading that most of the materials and labor had been donated.

I don't really have an issue with the statue so much, except that it kind of looked like a caricature to me, which really only invited mockery.

That's really how any non-denom church's income happens: donations. I heard that they received a ton more than the original statue cost in a donation drive after it burned down. I wonder just how much of that is going to the community to help out the poor and needy, vs. going to a monument that does nothing but scream LOOK AT HOW RICH AND TACKY WE ARE!

That's really how any non-denom church's income happens: donations. I heard that they received a ton more than the original statue cost in a donation drive after it burned down. I wonder just how much of that is going to the community to help out the poor and needy, vs. going to a monument that does nothing but scream LOOK AT HOW RICH AND TACKY WE ARE!

Really? Donations don't fund the church hardly at all. Donating, or tithing, is what funds a lot of community outreach programs. The donations teach charity and giving. I'd venture to say that most churches would be okay if they got rid of donations. They wouldn't be as big of help in the community, but they would still function.

so you're saying without donations, churches would be able to stay open?

or is there another form of income i'm not aware of? do churches invest in the stock market (i say this tongue in cheek cause i know many do, as well as other investments).

or is there another form of income i'm not aware of? do churches invest in the stock market (i say this tongue in cheek cause i know many do, as well as other investments).

Relevant article makes me relevant.

How Churches Invest Their Money

http://www.mint.com/blog/investing/how-churches-invest-05172010/

A lot of them would be able to stay open. Where they get their money I don't know. Never really asked as it didn't concern me. I just been told this by the people who are in a position to know this information. Don't get me wrong, donations do help a lot, they just aren't usually their main source of income.

A lot of them would be able to stay open. Where they get their money I don't know. Never really asked as it didn't concern me. I just been told this by the people who are in a position to know this information. Don't get me wrong, donations do help a lot, they just aren't usually their main source of income.

Lol, wut?

You don't know WHERE the money comes from, you just trust someone "in the know"? :lol:

You just disqualified yourself to comment on this topic :D

can i open a "church of the CNC machining latter day saints"?

cause that would just be boss

As long as you don't tell anyone where the money comes from.

Lol, wut?

You don't know WHERE the money comes from, you just trust someone "in the know"? :lol:

You just disqualified yourself to comment on this topic :D

I didn't ask because it really didn't concern me. And being senior pastors and friends, yeah I trust these people. Take it how you want to.

As long as you don't tell anyone where the money comes from.

everyone wins cause i can tell people that my customers donated the money (and therefore, it's tax deductible for them), it's nontaxable for me, they get their stuff, my expenses are tax deductible, i can pay my employees at a steep discount (or i can convince them that the FSM told me they need to volunteer their valuable engineering talents), and then invest a bunch of money in the stock market (probably also at a much lower taxing bracket) so when the economy crumbles again, I can ride it out on fake fedgov printed money that i used to purchase securities that don't exist or the values of which are outright lies.

commence operation: #1 spend my entire net worth on building as big and gawky statue as possible to draw worshippers in, write it off as marketing expense. #2 justify spending that money by saying "with the amount of income, i mean, the number of souls we save, in the long term we will better serve god's will". #3 molest my altar boys. #4 prophet!!!!

this is an infallible business plan. going to PNC so i can get in on some of that fed gov moneyz asap and earn billions so i can be pope next.

everyone wins cause i can tell people that my customers donated the money (and therefore, it's tax deductible for them), it's nontaxable for me, they get their stuff, my expenses are tax deductible, i can pay my employees at a steep discount (or i can convince them that the FSM told me they need to volunteer their valuable engineering talents), and then invest a bunch of money in the stock market (probably also at a much lower taxing bracket) so when the economy crumbles again, I can ride it out on fake fedgov printed money that i used to purchase securities that don't exist or the values of which are outright lies.

commence operation: #1 spend my entire net worth on building as big and gawky statue as possible to draw worshippers in, write it off as marketing expense. #2 justify spending that money by saying "with the amount of income, i mean, the number of souls we save, in the long term we will better serve god's will". #3 molest my altar boys. #4 prophet!!!!

this is an infallible business plan. going to PNC so i can get in on some of that fed gov moneyz asap and earn billions so i can be pope next.

I call Archbishop of Snarkerbury, Lord of the Lathe.