how'd you pay for your bike?

redkow97

I've always paid cash for my bikes, and always bought from private sellers. I also took a considerable loan from my parents to buy my first bike so I could avoid financing a toy.

I'm not really in the market, but I'm trying to convince my brother that a more track-oriented bike should be in his future. Nothing crazy, but an SV would be worlds ahead of his Seca II (which I can make fun of with impunity, because he never fucking signs onto this site - I'm calling you out, Jake).

Are a lot more people buying and financing through dealers than i realize, or does everyone make that much more money than me? :-p

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

cash only for luxury items. unless this was my ONLY mode of transportation. MY BELIEF is that if you can't afford to pay it outright (including all the gear) then you should wait for non-essential items.

I've seen people who get the $99 a month deal on new and then get jacked on the interest.

cash on every toy i have bought

never bought any of them new though

but if i was to buy a brand new something or other id probably finance.. cash down as well, but i dont have $12K plus laying around in cash to just throw around

I've always paid cash for my bikes, and always bought from private sellers. I also took a considerable loan from my parents to buy my first bike so I could avoid financing a toy.

I'm not really in the market, but I'm trying to convince my brother that a more track-oriented bike should be in his future. Nothing crazy, but an SV would be worlds ahead of his Seca II (which I can make fun of with impunity, because he never fucking signs onto this site - I'm calling you out, Jake).

Are a lot more people buying and financing through dealers than i realize, or does everyone make that much more money than me? :-p

perfect for him

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260632955241&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Cash. it's a toy

that's been my theory as well; I guess I'm just blown away by how much some people can afford to spend on toys.

my bikes cost less than $5k. Combined. The total is still under $6k if you add in the F2 I rode on track for a year.

a lot of people have more than that spent in ONE bike.

I don't even think he needs one that nice.

For the sheer economics of it, i'm betting he ends up going street/track for a while. With that in mind, I think a naked SV would be easier to convert back and forth, and have fewer parts to repair if it went down.

Then, if a dedicated track bike becomes a financial possibility, the SV goes street-only, and he can pick up something like my track bike (or buy mine and I get a new-to-me R6):D

Before alway used bike and cash. Then a couple years ago I mentioned to my wife I needed to fix up my old bike. Says she, "It's in bad shape you should get a new one."

I was out the door check book in hand before she realized what she'd said.

I had the money in the account so no loanage.