need some help...loss of power..

drumbtzz

so last night im ridin home with my buddy on a ninja 600 and he takes off, i ponch the throttle and my rpm's shoot up and i get nothing to the wheel...i drop to 5th, try easing on the throttle a little lighter, get a little power to the wheel but not much at all, same as 4th gear....it seems to me my transmission is just slipping, but im also having another issue...when i turn my bike on (not starting just the key is set to 'on') theres a valve just before the y split in my exhaust that constantly opens and closes and squeaks when it does it...no idea if that has anything to do with my loss of power issue or what thats even about....help please??

edit* - this has turned into a bbq+beer+bike fixing event...r1crusher will be helping me tear apart my clutch, bad324 is providing the garage + grill, and im providing some burgers and beer :)

if anyone would like to come learn a little about their bike mechanics (like i will be) please contact bad324 for the location. see everyone there!

Edited by drumbtzz

Okay...first...the 'slipping'. At first reading, it sounds like you need new clutch plates and probably steels. The clutch is what transfers the power to the rear so that's where I would start. They can easily be removed and checked.

Second, the sound you hear is the EXUP valve which is just a butterfly in the midpipe of your exhaust that is supposed to help with midrange power. Just shoot it with a little WD and maybe even lube up the cable with some cable grease. That should fix that right up.

its actually pretty easy, you can take off the clutch cover without draining the oil to inspect your fibres and steels. its almost a 100% positive you'll need new fibres, but the steels usually are ok. if the steels are blueing or warped you'll need to replace them all, regardless if just one is bad and the rest are ok, same with fibres. inspecting first will allow you to order the right parts off the bat, and save you some money from possibly ordering too many parts.

anyway, the ohio rider how to got lost with the crash of 09, but here it is on an R6 site. i know different machines, but the idea is the same:

http://www.r6live.com/r6-how-guides/11686-how-replace-your-clutch-99-02-r6.html

Drum...you're in North Royalton which is not too far away. It's not a difficult job to do yourself. If you want I can help you...should be straight forward: Remove any body panels, loosen and remove clutch cable if needed, remove clutch cover bolts and cover, remove clutch springs and bolts, remove clutches and plates.

haha...well here's the catch....i just moved last month and dont have a garage yet so doin it here is almost impossible...im not tryin to put anyone out here so ill just take it in somewhere..any recommendations?

Well...I can recommend Jeff (c7fx) as he's close to you if he's willing to do that kind of work. It would be his call of course since he's already doing repairs to one of his track bikes for being a bone head. :D

Shoot him a PM and see what he says...he'll I'll still come over and give him a hand.

And don't be hatin' Inay because I haven't serviced you in a while. All I knew was that you hired UP for it now.

Think we need to make this a tech day burgers and beers and fixing up a bad ass R1 :banana:

screw it i'd be in to learn and watch :D

hell we can use my garage if someone supplies the tools since I'm seriously lacking in that category

Think we need to make this a tech day burgers and beers and fixing up a bad ass R1 :banana:
screw it i'd be in to learn and watch :D

hell we can use my garage if someone supplies the tools since I'm seriously lacking in that category

i have a air compressor and most likely any tools i dont have i can bring home from work...i can also get a pack of burgers n buns n some beer if others wanta contribute too great...BUT this all depends on what crusher wants to do and if we can sync our schedules

well...I'm open today after 5pm and this weekend might be tough. Have plans to be at the races on Sun. and trying to work out if I'll be going on Sat. Next week is pretty much open after 5pm except for Mon.

And I'm all for a cook out! Make the call.