Middletown bike wreck 7/16/10

Tigerpaw

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/crime/police-motorcycle-reached-speeds-above-100-mph-before-crash-814295.html?cxtype=ynews_rss

"MIDDLETOWN — Two residents are in critical condition after police say their motorcycle struck a street median while reaching speeds in excess of 100 mph.

It took more than 12 hours for police to positively identify one of the victims, said Middletown police Detective Steve Winters. The injuries sustained by Elila Watkins, 20, of Middletown, were so severe that friends and family had a difficult time identifying her. They were unable to fingerprint her due to the damage to her hands, he said.

Both Watkins and the driver of the motorcycle, Zachary D. Nelson, 28, of Middletown are listed in critical condition at Miami Valley Hospital.

Emergency crews were dispatched to the intersection of Highland Street and Roosevelt Boulevard at about 2:37 a.m. July 16 on the report of a motorcycle accident. Upon arrival, crews found Nelson and Watkins laying in the roadway. Both victims were transported via medical helicopter to Miami Valley.

Winters said that Nelson was traveling at least 100 mph heading eastbound on Roosevelt Boulevard on his 2007 Suzuki motorcycle when he apparently swerved and struck a median on Highland Street. The bike hit the median with such force that it cracked both tires and completely severed the front tire from the vehicle as it caught fire.

Officers on patrol spotted the flaming bike and then located the “severely mangled” bodies of Nelson and Watkins on Carolina Street. The two victims were not wearing helmets and Winters said their “road rash” was so bad from sliding more than 1,000 feet during the crash that their clothes were grafted to their bodies.

“They were traveling at a high rate of speed. Right now I am comfortable at saying over 100 miles per hour, but we don’t know the exact speed yet,” he said.

Debris from the crash was spread over several blocks, authorities said.

“There are a lot of questions we have to answer but speed has got to be a factor in this,” Winters added.

The accident remains under investigation."

***Get well soon.

Foolish.... Risk your own life, ok... But to take a 20 year old girl and ruin her life. Fuct up...

I've ridden way too fast before- I know the draw. That's a risk I took, for myself. Hope she's able to recover. Good luck to them both though..

So far' date=' anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if neither of them pull through. They both have to be damn near dead.

Side thought: I was coming home from Iron Pony today and saw a younger "couple" on a sport bike heading south on I-71. No gear at all and they were moving at a good clip. Shorts, sandals, tank tops... the works. :nono:[/quote']

They left the brain at home also...

So far' date=' anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if neither of them pull through. They both have to be damn near dead.

Side thought: I was coming home from Iron Pony today and saw a younger "couple" on a sport bike heading south on I-71. No gear at all and they were moving at a good clip. Shorts, sandals, tank tops... the works. :nono:[/quote']

Saw similar thing on the way to QS&L on Wednesday,younger couple on a gixxer scooting down 270 with just helmets and no other gear...crazy. What do people think is gonna save their skin when they go down at 70+ mph??? The tank top and shorts that girl on the back was wearing wasn't gonna do squat. :nono: Hope the riders pull through, sounds very bad.

Young stud in New Albany last night thought enough of his own life to don a helmet, but the hottie on the back apparently wasn't worth it. Manly-man. :nono:

As for these two, I can't bring myself to shame the critically injured. I hope they pull through.

Side thought: I was coming home from Iron Pony today and saw a younger "couple" on a sport bike heading south on I-71. No gear at all and they were moving at a good clip. Shorts' date=' sandals, tank tops... the works. :nono:[/quote']

This is a VERY common sight in Columbus. Its usually cruiser riders, but lots of kids on sportbikes too.

after 20 + yrs as a firefighter....high speed and motorcycles don't end well....i've been riding for over 40 yrs ...did my share of playing....thank god i was lucky.

my prayers go out to the injured riders and their families.

i can understand not wearing boots or a nice riding jacket but the feeling of having the wind in your face is not worth having the feeling of gravel in your face. I would rather die than have to go through the healing process of unrecognizable injuries.

...lesson learned... im never riding without my helmet again!

I didn't wear a helmet regularly (unless it was cold out...) in most of my 20's, either. Never ride without one now. I did foolish stuff back then, but thankfully never got this hurt. Stupid moves in this case? Absolutely. Coulda been me at some point. I can't imagine sliding and bouncing for 1000 ft, completely on the asphalt. Her FAMILY couldn't even identify her? Amazing.

We've probably all done stupid stuff, and probably gotten away with it for the most part. I'll keep them in my prayers. If they live, their pain and disfigurement will be incredible. I can't imagine.

Jeff

Edited by YSR_Racer_99

• 2 weeks later...

That passenger in the flaming Middletown crash has died.

Charges against the rider in control are pending.

Think about this one when we ride with a passenger...

Charges pending in fatal motorcycle crash

20-year-old passenger Leila Watkins, who died in the accident, will be buried today.

By Jessica Heffner, Staff Report

Updated 2:33 AM Saturday, July 31, 2010

MIDDLETOWN — Charges are pending against the driver of a motorcycle following a crash that resulted in the death of his female passenger, who will be buried today, July 31.Middletown police officials said Leila Watkins, 20, of Middletown died from her injuries July 20. She was flown by medical helicopter to Miami Valley Hospital July 16 after officials said the motorcycle she was riding on struck a street median on Highland Street while traveling at speeds in excess of 100 mph.

The driver of the motorcycle, Zachary D. Nelson, 28, of Middletown, also was flown by medical helicopter to Miami Valley where he was listed in good condition Friday, July 30.

Middletown police Detective Jerry Mossman said that Nelson’s hospitalization has prevented him from conducting a final interview but that charges are pending against him.

“The accident scene was over 1,000 feet long,” Mossman said. “If they had had helmets, leathers and such on they would have maybe walked away.”

Police said Nelson was traveling at least 100 mph eastbound on Roosevelt Boulevard on his 2007 Suzuki motorcycle when he apparently swerved and struck a median on Highland Street.

The bike hit the median with such force that it severed the back tire from the vehicle and caught fire. Officers on patrol spotted the flaming bike and followed the debris to the “severely mangled” victims on Carolina Street, according to Detective Steve Winters.

Watkins leaves behind a son, Colin William Watkins. Funeral services are at 10 a.m. today at the Stratford Heights Church Of God, 4419 Nelson Road, Middletown. Interment will follow at Butler County Memorial Park in Trenton. Memorial contributions may be made to the family in care of Herr-Riggs Funeral Home, 210 S. Main St., Middletown, OH 45044.

• 9 months later...

Again, think about what you are doing when riding with a passenger.

Rider in control has been indicted for homicide.

Middletown Man Indicted In Fatal Motorcycle Crash

Nelson faces two counts of aggravated vehicular homicide, two counts of operating a vehicle while under the influence and one count of driving without a license.

Shes not that innocent. Its not like she was kidnapped. When she got on, she probably knew this guy liked to go fast. Its a risk both people took. If she had a kid, she should have known better than to get on the back of a sport bike without gear with an idiot as a driver.

The only victim here is the poor girl who is now forced to grow up without a mother.

Edited by ohdaho

There are no presumptions of death when a person accepts a ride.

And apparently the courts would agree.

In the Cincinnati area, a KY rider was just sentenced to 7 years this week, for complicity the death of a passenger in a motorcycle accident.

how can he be charged with 2 counts of vehicular homicide for killing one person? was she pregnant or something?

I was wondering also. I think he met the requirements for two counts. One may have been intoxication, and the other reckless. Something like that. Both potential personal behavior that may have caused the results. Both could be guilty charges.

It might also be true that he can only be charged with one of the two.

Shes not that innocent. Its not like she was kidnapped. When she got on, she probably knew this guy liked to go fast. Its a risk both people took. If she had a kid, she should have known better than to get on the back of a sport bike without gear with an idiot as a driver.

The only victim here is the poor girl who is now forced to grow up with a mother.

Yeah, more like poor kid. :(