Thank you OR!!

35RFTW

Another "great" SB weekend? If you meant in terms of the after races events, possibly. But, the during the weekend events, the event was a bust. LOW, LOW turnout and POOR vendor participation...

It was one if not THE worse SB weekends I have ever witnessed... The AMA needs to rethink what they are doing to get more people out and to attract more vendors/supporters...

Another "great" SB weekend? If you meant in terms of the after races events, possibly. But, the during the weekend events, the event was a bust. LOW, LOW turnout and POOR vendor participation...

It was one if not THE worse SB weekends I have ever witnessed... The AMA needs to rethink what they are doing to get more people out and to attract more vendors/supporters...

It was some of the best SB racing I've seen. Sunday the top four were awesome. Watching Hayden and Hayes compete for first, and Ben and Larry compete for third was awesome. In the in first 600 races on Sat and Sun 73 and 16 were fucking rocking that track. 73 had a 20+ second lead! So if you base your opinion of the weekend off the crowd and vendors, okay. I went there to watch some races and drink. Well, I watched some badass racing and drank a lot. So for me, it was a great weekend.

It was some of the best SB racing I've seen. Sunday the top four were awesome. Watching Hayden and Hayes compete for first, and Ben and Larry compete for third was awesome. In the in first 600 races on Sat and Sun 73 and 16 were fucking rocking that track. 73 had a 20+ second lead! So if you base your opinion of the weekend off the crowd and vendors, okay. I went there to watch some races and drink. Well, I watched some badass racing and drank a lot. So for me, it was a great weekend.

I'd say JD pulling a 20+ second lead is boring to watch. Watching 4 superbike racers battle is also boring to watch. Hence, the reason people don't come if you ask. It used to be there were 15+ factory based team riders. Now, there are literally less than half that. 15 superbike grids is lame.

600 racing was cool to watch the kids battle and the 4 front guys in Herrin's class, but again, there used to be almost 20 factory supported riders...

If you enjoyed it, cool. But, the spectator count was WELL below what it has ever been at the lowest in years.

Racing like seen in WSBK is what people want. More factory participation is needed. No Honda, no Kaw, 1 Zook, no factory riders outside Yamaha and you have a poor recipe for success.

We have watched and listened on a marketing standpoint and the spectators are less than impressed...

I will say a few notes:

Tommy Hayden had a well deserved victory. It was good to see him win again. JD is well... Amazing. Herrin's ride off after a HUGE, I mean H-U-G-E crash and the bike flipped 3-4 times into the gravel trap off the back straight. He then picks it up and gets it running and rides two laps. Fucking balls, man. That kid is amazing and proof that action can lead to success. People will remember that moment and he's going to get signed no matter where he goes...

I'd say JD pulling a 20+ second lead is boring to watch. Watching 4 superbike racers battle is also boring to watch. Hence, the reason people don't come if you ask. It used to be there were 15+ factory based team riders. Now, there are literally less than half that. 15 superbike grids is lame.

600 racing was cool to watch the kids battle and the 4 front guys in Herrin's class, but again, there used to be almost 20 factory supported riders...

If you enjoyed it, cool. But, the spectator count was WELL below what it has ever been at the lowest in years.

Racing like seen in WSBK is what people want. More factory participation is needed. No Honda, no Kaw, 1 Zook, no factory riders outside Yamaha and you have a poor recipe for success.

We have watched and listened on a marketing standpoint and the spectators are less than impressed...

I will say a few notes:

Tommy Hayden had a well deserved victory. It was good to see him win again. JD is well... Amazing. Herrin's ride off after a HUGE, I mean H-U-G-E crash and the bike flipped 3-4 times into the gravel trap off the back straight. He then picks it up and gets it running and rides two laps. Fucking balls, man. That kid is amazing and proof that action can lead to success. People will remember that moment and he's going to get signed no matter where he goes...

:plus1: if ama doesn't grab their junk and get everything together it will flop! Without factory support the AMA will colapse, and without other factories to race against the factory teams that are in it now will just leave and invest monies elsewhere.

And the herrins wreck was pretty phenominal to say the least. I was standing on the inside of the esses when it happened I have some pics of the bike tumbling end over end, and I remember telling people when he picked the bike up that there is now way in hell that thing is goin to start and when it did I pretty much pissed myself and then to watch him do two laps with a broken left clip on, no front brake lever, no rpm gauge, and no seat. That kid gets all the respect in the world fom me nowadays. An I have a couple of pics to show the proof that all that was missing.

I watched it on my dvr last night and that was crazy for him to take a hit like that and get up and ride that bike in the condition that it was in. It takes a lot of heart to get up from that and finish the race.

:plus1: if ama doesn't grab their junk and get everything together it will flop! Without factory support the AMA will colapse, and without other factories to race against the factory teams that are in it now will just leave and invest monies elsewhere.

And the herrins wreck was pretty phenominal to say the least. I was standing on the inside of the esses when it happened I have some pics of the bike tumbling end over end, and I remember telling people when he picked the bike up that there is now way in hell that thing is goin to start and when it did I pretty much pissed myself and then to watch him do two laps with a broken left clip on, no front brake lever, no rpm gauge, and no seat. That kid gets all the respect in the world fom me nowadays. An I have a couple of pics to show the proof that all that was missing.

Dude, any pics? I wanted to show the guys at Shift the sequence. We saw it from start to finish and didn't have a camera...

I think the vendor support was especially lacking due to Laguna this coming weekend.

Not at all. Laguna has usually been the weekend prior. There were always vendors before. The crowds are crap at every AMA event so far. No crowds, no vendors. Why spend the money to attend if nobody is there to buy? It is a marketing budget issue and unless the turnout increases (better racing, economy, etc), the vendors are going to be shit.

Has nothing to do with next week...

there has always been a week off between the events.

You aren't getting it. The fact is that crowds are down, factory participation is down, the OEMs are out of marketing budget and if there is nobody to sell to, they cannot justify it. Now, that being said, let's talk vendors...

The vendors are typically localized. Sometimes, people like Scorpion, etc will come and set up with a localized dealer. Also, many dealers will come that are local. Local being within say, a 5 state radius.

That didn't happen. You had a Stunt crew there selling tees, a salvage shop, Iron Pony and the National Guard and Army. We were there as the only OEM motorcycle company.

There is nothing related to being within a week of Laguna. The crowd has nothing to do with Laguna either.

It's simple supply and demand. There is no factory support within the racing series. Well, there is on a very limited basis. Used to have 30-40 riders in SB, full 40 rider grids in SS. The classes are terrible. The 1200 class is trash and the riders are under 10 at the grid. Rookie's Cup was awesome and great to watch as the action was close and multiple rider lead packs.

That is not the case. The SB race while somewhat entertaining, was pretty much 4 riders and it was never a battle. The 600 race was a battle of sorts, but not amongst any riders like it used to be.

The bottom line is that people are watching when and where they go. There needs to be a reason to go and honestly, there isn't. There's better racing elsewhere and even if it were better, the traveling is lesser than years past.

Even if Laguna was the week prior or two weeks in between, Honda wasn't going to come, Kawasaki wasn't coming and Suzuki wasn't going to be there.

Hell, it is the Honda Super Cycle weekend and even though the bikes aren't made here, Ohio is Honda's home state. They didn't even have cars represented!

It used to be that you never saw grass anywhere during bike week. Look in the camp grounds, the grass parking areas, vendor row, and on the hill sides where people watch. More grass than ever before. It has nothing to do with back to back weekends. If you have gone or documented the series so far, you'd see that everything is well below what it used to be...

Dude, any pics? I wanted to show the guys at Shift the sequence. We saw it from start to finish and didn't have a camera...

I have the back half of the wreck, all of it is the bike tumbling, none of him the medical truck was blocking my view, but I have plenty of pics of the aftermath including what was left of the suit.

You aren't getting it. The fact is that crowds are down, factory participation is down, the OEMs are out of marketing budget and if there is nobody to sell to, they cannot justify it. Now, that being said, let's talk vendors...

Never did I say that the only reason everything was down was due to Laguna.

I simply stated my belief that the distance between venues and the back-to-back weekends (the only back-to-back on the schedule, mind you) caused many vendors to choose not to come to ohio.

With AMA and MotoGP both in California and events starting 4 days after the mid-o race, the feasibility of promoting at both events is quite impossible.

Yes, attendence is down due to many factors- the economy limiting factory support and fans without the cash to attend is a big factor. Everyone is quick to blame DMG for the lack of excitement, but they're doing what they feel is best for the sport. Yeah the XR's are a joke, but so what? Were you forced to sit there at watch 'em? They're there as an effort to reach out to new fans and to advertise a brand- just like everyone else out there.

Never did I say that the only reason everything was down was due to Laguna.

I simply stated my belief that the distance between venues and the back-to-back weekends (the only back-to-back on the schedule, mind you) caused many vendors to choose not to come to ohio.

With AMA and MotoGP both in California and events starting 4 days after the mid-o race, the feasibility of promoting at both events is quite impossible.

Yes, attendence is down due to many factors- the economy limiting factory support and fans without the cash to attend is a big factor. Everyone is quick to blame DMG for the lack of excitement, but they're doing what they feel is best for the sport. Yeah the XR's are a joke, but so what? Were you forced to sit there at watch 'em? They're there as an effort to reach out to new fans and to advertise a brand- just like everyone else out there.

Ok, here's the drill. For people that are not really into the motorcycle stuff, it probably was exciting. However, to a lot of fans that know what's going on, the racing is very much lower end than ever before. Tommy, Josh and Larry are great racers and in fact, great guys. However, if that is the level of top shelf talent here, it is lacking.

DMG isn't to blame 100%, but it sure didn't help. OEMs pulling out at the same time may look like it is a result of rules, etc., but truth be told, it is a combo deal where everything hit at once.

Bottom line is simple. the series is like WERA National, Regional, Pro am races all over the country - DOWN. Contingencies this year in racing is piss poor so, guys ain't racing. No racers at top level events means less fans. Add in the economy and low OEM input and it all sucks.

This isn't the only event and as I stated before, if there were 5 weeks in between, it wouldn't matter. Again, vendors are localized. OEMs being there COULD be due to traveling, but again, the way it works is based on budget. Only the truckers are in a tight spot over the timeline. Vendors still have a budget per year and if it isn't worth it or they don't have it to spend, it doesn't matter.

The calender has nothing to do with it...

Adding the XRs is a decent enough idea on paper. However, did you notice how many people rolled out when they started their time on track? It is a joke not because it is new or because it is HD. It's a joke because the series is struggling. The riders hate the bikes and the racing is boring due to many factors. One being 8 riders in total. That's less than most regional grids.

The Rookies Cup in comparison was exciting and close racing with big grids. That formula needs to be copied and not an attempt to please a vendor that isn't even there to showcase the bikes...

Ok, here's the drill. For people that are not really into the motorcycle stuff, it probably was exciting. However, to a lot of fans that know what's going on, the racing is very much lower end than ever before. Tommy, Josh and Larry are great racers and in fact, great guys. However, if that is the level of top shelf talent here, it is lacking.

DMG isn't to blame 100%, but it sure didn't help. OEMs pulling out at the same time may look like it is a result of rules, etc., but truth be told, it is a combo deal where everything hit at once.

Bottom line is simple. the series is like WERA National, Regional, Pro am races all over the country - DOWN. Contingencies this year in racing is piss poor so, guys ain't racing. No racers at top level events means less fans. Add in the economy and low OEM input and it all sucks.

This isn't the only event and as I stated before, if there were 5 weeks in between, it wouldn't matter. Again, vendors are localized. OEMs being there COULD be due to traveling, but again, the way it works is based on budget. Only the truckers are in a tight spot over the timeline. Vendors still have a budget per year and if it isn't worth it or they don't have it to spend, it doesn't matter.

The calender has nothing to do with it...

Adding the XRs is a decent enough idea on paper. However, did you notice how many people rolled out when they started their time on track? It is a joke not because it is new or because it is HD. It's a joke because the series is struggling. The riders hate the bikes and the racing is boring due to many factors. One being 8 riders in total. That's less than most regional grids.

The Rookies Cup in comparison was exciting and close racing with big grids. That formula needs to be copied and not an attempt to please a vendor that isn't even there to showcase the bikes...

How about this...if you don't like it, don't go! This is a thread about how GREAT it was last weekend. If you want to throw a childish hissy fit about how it sucks so bad, take it to your own thread. There are enough people here that enjoyed themself and don't need your negativity.

How about this...if you don't like it, don't go! This is a thread about how GREAT it was last weekend. If you want to throw a childish hissy fit about how it sucks so bad, take it to your own thread. There are enough people here that enjoyed themself and don't need your negativity.

+1

I had a good time as well. I am a fan of Suzuki, and with Mladin and Spies gone, it is no longer the Suzuki Cup race anymore. In the past, you almost knew a Suzuki would win, but not sure if it would be Matt or Ben winning.

I don't go to races to see manufacturer displays.

I don't go to races to shop at the vendors.

I don't go to races to fight for square inches of grass in the hot sun.

I don't go to races to see 40 bikes on the grid.

I go to watch motorcycle riders compete against one another.

I go to enjoy the camaraderie with friends and fellow fans both during the races and well into the night.