CCW question - bars

Steve Butters

had this come up over the weekend...wasnt sure if its passed or what

can you carry in a bar/restaurant with your CCW if you are not drinking?

was talking about this with a few people this weekend and nobody knew if it passed

i see here it says it passed:

http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/bills.cfm?ID=128_SB_239

i know it passed the house and went to senate, now that says it passed the senate..

so is it law now? or am i missing something?

what happens when you are out of state? is it still legal for us to carry in a bar even out of the state?

Depends upon that state's laws. Reciprocity means that that state honors your Ohio CHL - you still have to follow their laws. If it's legal there, you can, even if you can't in Ohio.

Depends upon that state's laws. Reciprocity means that that state honors your Ohio CHL - you still have to follow their laws. If it's legal there, you can, even if you can't in Ohio.

Yeah, I have carried in restaurants that serve alcohol in WV, legally, even though I can't carry in restaurants here. WV honors my OH permit.

It will. Strickland is now the NRAs boy.

Just sucks we will have to prolly wait till after new years for this to happen.

He said if it passes, he WILL sign it. Just didn't give a time frame. :rolleyes:

If this helps? I just scheduled my appointment to renew my permit and I remembered reading the following.

According to the Ohio's Concealed Carry Law published by the Ohio Attorney General, one of the "forbidden carry zones" is a Licensed D-Liquor Permit premises in which any person is consuming liquor. "Concealed firearms are banned in premises for which a D permit has been issued. There are some exceptions to this prohibition. The prohibition does not apply to principal holder of D permit as long as principal holder is not consuming liquor. The prohibition does not apply to an agent or employee of the principal holder who is also a peace officer who is also off duty. Possession of a concealed firearm is allowed in a retail store with a D-6 or D-8 permit as long as concealed carry license holder is not consuming liquor. Class D permits are generally issued to an establishment that sells alcohol for consumption on the premises. In any event, be certain of the type of permit and whether liquor is being consumed before you enter with a concealed handgun."

If this helps? I just scheduled my appointment to renew my permit and I remembered reading the following.

According to the Ohio's Concealed Carry Law published by the Ohio Attorney General, one of the "forbidden carry zones" is a Licensed D-Liquor Permit premises in which any person is consuming liquor. "Concealed firearms are banned in premises for which a D permit has been issued. There are some exceptions to this prohibition. The prohibition does not apply to principal holder of D permit as long as principal holder is not consuming liquor. The prohibition does not apply to an agent or employee of the principal holder who is also a peace officer who is also off duty. Possession of a concealed firearm is allowed in a retail store with a D-6 or D-8 permit as long as concealed carry license holder is not consuming liquor. Class D permits are generally issued to an establishment that sells alcohol for consumption on the premises. In any event, be certain of the type of permit and whether liquor is being consumed before you enter with a concealed handgun."

there is a law that passed the ohio house that says we can take it where alcohol is being served as long as the permit holder is not drinking. thats what the guy was asking when he started the thread if it is actual law now or not.