Anti-fog: What works, what doesn't?

RSparky

I've tried rain x anti fog, which failed, hoppe's #9, which failed, even scorpions existing anti-fog stuff on the visors fails. It would probably be worse without it, though. But it's not good enough that I don't have to open up my visor a few times on my way to work.

I ride to work at 6am, and generally it's either through fog, which does a number to my visor, or it's just moist and dewy out, which still fogs me up.

Any solutions hidden in the rough, or am I just S.O.L.?

I've always heard that regular toothpaste (least abrasive, like Colgate, but not gel) works, or dish soap. Some folks say that spit works, but...

Never had the need to try it though, usually just leave it cracked a 1/4".

That Respro looks like it works, but a little uncomfortable. Besides, my scorpion already has a nose breath deflector. I've been looking at these visor inserts. Anybody have any experience with them?

clicky

The foggy is comfortable for me. I have a big ass nose and wear glasses so I have to worry about those fogging as well. My shoei rf-1000 also has a nose breath deflector and you cannot compare the two. If you want to stay away from continuous application materials this is the way to go. I was skeptical at first but all the good reviews on kneedraggers I was like what the hell for 20+ bucks I'll try it and it works for me. I've ridden in torrential down pours and 40 degree foggy mornings and I never worry about my glasses or shield fogging up.

Edited by rslocum

That Respro looks like it works, but a little uncomfortable. Besides, my scorpion already has a nose breath deflector. I've been looking at these visor inserts. Anybody have any experience with them?

clicky

I use a clear fog city insert and it works very well. its a real pain to install and scratches EXTREMELY easily (ask me how i know:facepalm:) but it does keep the fogging down to a minimum. One issue that ran into with the fog city is that the condensation will actually pool up at the bottom of the visor so that when I flipped it open while moving I would get a splash in the face. Surprised the shit out of me the first time it happened. I guess I got used to it. not sure how it would would be to remove it though, it's a line of extrememly sticky adhesive all the way around the insert that keeps the insert away from the visor, kind of like a a doublepane window.

The people at the Pony like the Pinlock brand of insert but you have to have a pinlock visor in order to use their insert. The newer HJCs come "Pinlock ready" but to retro an older helmet is something along the lines of 35 for the visor and 30 for the insert. I think I paid 20 for the fog city?? It was over a year ago so I cant recall exactly.

Only thing I've ever seen that worked on my ski masks was a rather hard pink wax stick that was scribbled on and buffed out. No clue where to find it, other than ski shops. But RayZor sells something similar in England. Cat crap also appears to be similar.

Scuba divers use "Sea Gold", which I'm willing to try. Meant for plastic.

Rain-X also has anti fog products, and one is easy to use wipes. But meant for glass. Also something I'm willing to try, it's cheaper and probably easier to find.

I fog up every morning...

Short story: Cat Crap.

Longer story: Was having the usual early-season fogging problems on track (like at Beaverun in April, 37F and wet). A friend was going to Iron Pony. I told him to pick me up some sort of antifog and I'd pay him for it. He comes back and throws "Cat Crap" on my desk. WTF, I give him $8. Didn't use it all season because the rest of the track days were warmer. Went to the drag strip last week, after dark was having major fogging problems. I'd keep my visor open until the other lane prestaged, then close it on my thumb. If the other lane took more than a second or two to stage, I'd be blind until about 660. Dealt with this most of the night, then at one point I picked up my helmet off my truck and it was covered with dew on the outside of the visor. I figured at this point I was totally screwed, then I remembered the Cat Crap was in my gear bag. I hastily, in the cold damp dark, hit the visor inside and out with Glass Plus and paper towel, a smearing of Cat Crap, and buffed with a terry cloth of questionable cleanliness. Breathed on the visor, no fog. Looked through it, no haze or streaking under the lights. Wore it closed the rest of the night, not the slightest hint of fog or dew. Awesome.

I bought some cat crap at Iron Pony the other day. Rode with it for the first time today. No fogging on the ride in to work but started fogging up again on the way home.

Also, don't say to the parts guy at the motorbike shop; "I need some cat crap" unless you're sure he knows what you mean. After an awkward silence one of the other guys came over and explained it to him, giggling all the way...

I like the stuff, but it does seem like I'll have to apply it right before any cold weather ride for it to work... I've looked for pin locks, but am very particular about my helmet. (it does have to keep my noggin safe)

Do they have a pre-installed pin-lock for scorpion shields or no? Haven't found one yet, so I doubt it.

I don't think there is a Pinlock shield for Scorpion helmets. The next best thing is Clarity Defog It Anti-fog by: Nanofilm

I keep several of their "dry" wipes in my jacket for my riding glasses. The stuff is AWESOMENESS and works better than everything else I have ever used (excluding pinlock insert). Just take the dry wipe and rub the interior of your visor for 15 seconds, and you're done! Each wipe can be used multiple times

41VPZMH6C4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Edited by AOW

Pinlock or Cat Crap for me. More like Pinlock for the shield and Cat Crap for the glasses, because they'll fog up even if the shield doesn't.

To my knowledge, Pinlock is only available for HJC, Shoei, Arai, and Nolan. Wish it was available for other helmets, though.

Kinda disappointed with the Cat Crap... It works, but I have to reapply it before every cold ride or else it's useless. And even then, I get a little condensation around the edges.

One thing I like about the Exo-1000 is that the little lock pin can be rotated, so it holds the visor cracked. That works better, until I hit the highway.