what's the best "project" car?

redkow97

That thing may be many things... But a "sleeper" it is definately NOT!

Looks like something ZZ Top would drive... Or Marion Cobretti

so you're telling me that "looks" like a car that could blow off a mustang gt or give a corvette a run for it's money?

I'm with you guys, before my days are numbered I will own a '77 Trans Am just like the one my mom had, though I will get a black/gold one

If you wan't to put a little work and time into building one though they are pretty inexpensive to build

Good luck finding one that isnt rotten as hell. When I got rid of mine, the rear crossmember was starting to go and it was only 12 years old then.

Just another thought maybe a mid 60's chevy II nova small lighter then other cars of its time and well an unlimited in expensive list of aftermarket for the sbc. Not sure if you are building a drag car or a fun weekend toy but it would work well for both applications.

Good luck finding one that isnt rotten as hell. When I got rid of mine, the rear crossmember was starting to go and it was only 12 years old then.

oh yea tell me about it. I've only found a handful that would be worth it to buy that were also a good price

My dad has two of these. A 60 and a 61 Willys Jeep. Not very common and I don't think they carry a high price tag. One of them was his first vehicle and the other he got for free for parts. Probably not what you are looking for but thought I'd throw it out to you.

BTW, this is not his, just a pic off the net.

1959-Willys-jeep-fc170-for-sale-2.jpg

I want one! It looks like it would be the perfect shop vehicle when I open my own garage!

I want one! It looks like it would be the perfect shop vehicle when I open my own garage!

He's still back and forth with what he wants to do with it. One day he says he wants to restore it to original, the next day a suped up hot rod.

With a 9 foot bed it would probably make a good shop truck. I think they have creeper gear with unbelievable torque. There are 2 of these trucks near me, on RT 40. Don't know if they are for sale, just saw them sitting there one day.

He's still back and forth with what he wants to do with it. One day he says he wants to restore it to original, the next day a suped up hot rod.

With a 9 foot bed it would probably make a good shop truck. I think they have creeper gear with unbelievable torque. There are 2 of these trucks near me, on RT 40. Don't know if they are for sale, just saw them sitting there one day.

I interned at Pataskala Church of the Naz right after college! Where at on 40 are they? I wouldn't mind heading over and seeing them.

I interned at Pataskala Church of the Naz right after college! Where at on 40 are they? I wouldn't mind heading over and seeing them.

I wish I could remember for sure but I want to say between 310 and Mink St, maybe as far as Taylor. There was two parked side by side on the north side of the road. Maybe I'll take a ride this week and locate them for you.

I need to put mine away, or something. It kills me to pull into the driveway and see them sitting there, waiting for me to get on and go. And the Hon-duh just seems to run better in the cold!

Anyway, back on topic...

The "best" project car is the the one that the owner is interested in, the one that will keep the interest.

Gearz recently did a similar project with a Miata and a kit.

http://www.staceydavid.com/projects/banshee.html

I'm probably too cheap to buy and paint the body kit.

But the idea of shoe-horning a V8 into a miata sounds fantastic. Probably technically beyond me, but biting off more than you can chew is fun.

The "best" project car is the the one that the owner is interested in, the one that will keep the interest.

this!

I've lost interest in too many projects over the years and regretted the money I threw away on a couple

But the idea of shoe-horning a V8 into a miata sounds fantastic. Probably technically beyond me, but biting off more than you can chew is fun.

Saw an old guy at Jimbos driving a miata with a Z06 motor in it. It was pretty wicked.

All just depends on what he finally decides to do. Can't go wrong with a 87-93 mustang though. Parts are everywhere for them, and you can actually find the 4cylinder bodies, and turn it into a 5.0 rather easy. I bought a 4cylinder off a buddy that blew the motor, and plan on restoring/modifying it the way I want to.

Plans are to have a 87 vert mustang, with a 302 stroked to 347, 5 or 6 speed, with either twin turbo or a super charger. The hardest part on a fox body, is getting a car in good shape, and building the motor. If I go FI, it is going to be twin turbo. Carburetor, it is going to be supercharged.

If any of you guys are interested, my buddy is getting ready to advertise his Black 79' Trans Am with red bird on the hood. He's got the original window stickers, and all dealership documents. 77,000 miles. Nice car. I think he's asking $10,000.

Rattle can, I'd be up for helping! If someone gives you any shit about the car at all, let it eat them.