Coyotes kill dog in Columbus

Casper

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Their population is getting pretty big out this way, too.

I've got them pretty thick at my place...killed off rabbits & turkeys pretty good. They'll draw dogs out with a female and kill them too, I have to watch my lab at night cause of that.

So far I've only killed one, but this winter I hope to get a few more.

I've got them pretty thick at my place...killed off rabbits & turkeys pretty good. They'll draw dogs out with a female and kill them too, I have to watch my lab at night cause of that.

So far I've only killed one, but this winter I hope to get a few more.

Yeah, you're not far from here, IIRC from previous discussions.

I tie cats by their hind legs to tree's here, the whining brings the coyotes right out of hiding.

I imagine the luv sounds emanating from your mountain top hacienda does the same thing.

I think my big dog could hold her own against atleast one or two coyotes. Shes St Bernard/Border Collie mix and she has the size of bernard but the wits and speed of a collie

The problem is around Ohio they form packs. Multiple yotes can easily overpower a large domestic dog. They are predators and know how to kill. They are also territorial and will kill dogs for no other reason. Also the females will mate with larger domestic dogs. This is dangerous because the pups become larger coyotes with less of a fear of people.

somehow in the anal suburb I live, cops look the other way when it comes to disposing of coyotes. We have a large field at the end of our street that they like to hang out in and a few of my neighbors have been known to use them as target practice with handguns. I've yet to be able to get in on this action since for the year I've lived here I haven't seen a single one

Now at my parents house I would have no issue firing at them since they have 3 miles of woods behind their house and the deck is raised up perfectly for picking them off in the trees. The neighbors bitch about them all the time but don't do anything

Except you probably can't discharge a firearm anywhere near Westerville.

I'm almost certain you can to kill a coyote in which you think is going to attack you, another person, or a domestic animal. Check with the local PD. I've had several officers tell me they're a danger to the area and are acceptable to shoot. It won't hurt to call the PD and ask.

I think my big dog could hold her own against atleast one or two coyotes. Shes St Bernard/Border Collie mix and she has the size of bernard but the wits and speed of a collie

I thought my dog could too until a small pack killed her, and she was no little pup. She was a 3 year old German Rot/Black Lab mix well over 100lbs. Effin Coyotes :mad: That was down in WV though and they are EVERYWHERE. People down there aren't quite as concerned with "laws" when it comes to shooting coyotes. I remember my old man blasting coons out of the trees in our backyard with a 20 gauge...in the dead center of town. lol

I have them out by me I hear them all night long. My in laws have the kids terrified of them so bad my kids don't go out after dark. If I find one in my yard its going to die though.

One of the rednecks I work with hunts them year round from his house. The moron is going to kill someone just based on where he is located and the highpower rifle he is using.

I live in a subdivision, and we have them all over the back of the development by the wood line. They have already taken out 2 dogs in the last year. I have yet to see one up where I live, but hear them at night. I have a fenced in yard, and only put my dogs out for a short time at night. But if I see one in the yard I would have no problem downing it with my .22. I am sure the neighbors would call the cops, but how are they gonna prove it was not a firecracker that went off?

Ive been warning Shawna for over a year now that she should let me kill the ones in her back yard that try and "play" with her husky. Now that its getting colder, expect to see this activity more often. Coyotes are getting bad around Ohio.

Check out this balsy little bastard. Almost cool until you think about it and see him when he starts nipping at the boots. Then think about what a few coyotes could do.

AAron I tell RAy to shoot them ALL by our house. He thinks I'm retarded when Izzy gets close to the wood line and I get nervous. I love my doggie!

not worried about them...bigger chance you will get attacked by a domesticated dog that gets out than a coyote. and if you dont want your cat eaten, keep it inside. if you dont want your chihuahua eaten, keep it in a fenced in yard like it is supposed to be anyways. people who open their door and let their dog run around an open yard, should expect stuff to happen. either way to look at it, theyre not a huge threat...shit theyre usually very skiddish and will run from you

Really? Well I don't think I should have to pay 5K on a fence for my dog when I go out with her EVERY time she's out. I have 30 acres of woods behind my home and all kinds of crap lurks in them. If a coyote is coming at my little Izzy while she tries to do her buisness in my yard you'd better believe it's getting an arrow right through the heart!

There are zero hunting limits on yotes in Ohio, so if you see one you're more than welcome to kill it as long as it's on you're property and make sure to kill it with a bow if you're in city limits :D

I thought my hubby said hunting coyotes was OK all year round b/c of the "nusiance" factor?? Not sure tho.

I tie cats by their hind legs to tree's here, the whining brings the coyotes right out of hiding.

Todd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and I usually let the coyote "play" with the cat for a min before I shoot too.

TODD, TODD, TODD!!!!!!!!!! Shame on you. I love my 4 kitties. Thank goodness they are ALWAYS in the house and thank goodness you live so far away from me. hehe. ;)