Anybody use a red light changer?

RSparky

Yeah, the loop is basically an antenna. Metal near the antenna causes attenuation of the circuit, which is sensed as a change in the steady state. It's a metal detector. It's capable of sensing any metal that attenuates, which is all of them, to varying degrees. And includes the human body since it's calcium and sodium components and compounds are metals. There's nothing like a chunk of steel to do a good job of disturbing an attenuation circuit though. Heavy metals like silver, gold, platinum, and lead would also work very well. Or a magnet, it's special for it's ability to attenuate eddy current fields or alter attenuation of metals near it.

Use of a magnet could be tricky, in getting any change or improvement. It's occurred to me that if the magnet was on a wheel, flashing past a piece of steel, the strobe of the eddy current would be huge and probably trigger anything. Or put the magnet on a stick, and poke it at where the wire is in the pavement. That would put the eddy current directly in the wire itself. Or on a shoe, or on a side stand.

Magnets can mess up all sorts of electrical circuits, so be careful where you put them. Things like fuel injectors, or ABS braking sensors could be messed up by them.

I understand the not putting the side stand down. I had a friend that would not even put his bike in neutral at a stop light. He stayed ready to go at all times.

have fun gettin run over in neutral with your kickstand down...ill stick to sitting my whole bike over the line since i never once had a light that wouldnt change for me

Didn't say I did that just tried to clarify the reasoning behind doing it. I personally like the lights that don't register a motorcycle because I can get through them at will instead of waiting for them not to work. This is only for lights on a road I know and use often. Lights that I have to sit at until it makes it through a whole cycle are a pain. I would never have a local one fixed because it's a waste of time in most cases to have to wait for the light.

Again, the majority of traffic light sensors are the inductive type.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-driving-safety/safety-regulatory-devices/question234.htm

Good point. Inductive circuits have to loop, attenuation circuits do not.

Inductive circuits are simpler, and harder to trigger.

Didn't say I did that just tried to clarify the reasoning behind doing it. I personally like the lights that don't register a motorcycle because I can get through them at will instead of waiting for them not to work. This is only for lights on a road I know and use often. Lights that I have to sit at until it makes it through a whole cycle are a pain. I would never have a local one fixed because it's a waste of time in most cases to have to wait for the light.

lol why wait on any light then? telling the cop that light doesnt register bikes isnt going to get ya out of a ticket...may as well run them all

i rarely wait for lights unless im somewhere thats busy...but running around out here on the east side in the pataskala area where i spend most of my time, i dont bother...ill stop, look both ways, then roll on through

This thread gave me the motivation to email the ODOT in my district and complain about a certain light that never changed for me. I've had to run it on a hand full of occasions.

For my area the ODOT wasn't in charge of this process. They forwarded my request to 311.columbus.gov and they sent me a request number. I went to the site the next day to check up on the progress and apparently my request was completed within 24 hours. I haven't had a chance to test out the light yet to see if the sensitivity has been improved. That most likely won't happen for a few months, but it was a hell of a lot faster than I thought it would take.

For my area the ODOT wasn't in charge of this process. They forwarded my request to 311.columbus.gov and they sent me a request number. I went to the site the next day to check up on the progress and apparently my request was completed within 24 hours. I haven't had a chance to test out the light yet to see if the sensitivity has been improved. That most likely won't happen for a few months, but it was a hell of a lot faster than I thought it would take.

Must have been private contractors, the government doesn't move that quickly.

gov is known to use a LOT of private contractors for small jobs like this.

hell even some major jobs go to private contractors....my girls dad did a job installing sewer pipes into an area that didnt have them...it was a 500k job that they contracted to him in columbus

either call your city or ODOT, depending on who controls the light, and they will fix it.

The one on my street didn't work. Put up with it for half a summer and started calling. City said too bad, your bike isn't heavy enough....I asked to speak to someone that isn't a retard and actually knows how a traffic light works since it has nothing to do with weight. I felt better but the conversation went downhill from there.

So, I emailed ODOT, they have a special email address to report these issues. The city was out there inside of a couple of weeks ripping it all up and replacing it.

http://www.dot.state.oh.us/news/Pages/ODOTimprovingTrafficSignalSafetyforMotorcyclesandScooters.aspx

gov is known to use a LOT of private contractors for small jobs like this.

hell even some major jobs go to private contractors....my girls dad did a job installing sewer pipes into an area that didnt have them...it was a 500k job that they contracted to him in columbus

That was my point.