tire chain fail

Casper

what the hell is wrong with people??

you always, ALWAYS put the tires, chains, etc. with the most tread or traction on the REAR wheels. no matter how bald the front wheels are, you can at least turn them. You never have that option with the rear wheels.

maybe not quite as applicable with snow chains, where the point is traction from a stop, but from a control perspective, new tires should always go on the rear rims (assuming you're replacing in pairs).

chains are likely different than new tires. I shouldn't have muddied this thread with that.

putting chains on the drive wheels seems to make sense, because they're designed for traction from a stop.

But on ANY car, even front-wheel drive, the newest tires should always be on the rear. Don't take my word for it, take Michelin's: http://www.michelinman.com/tire-care/tire-basics/reartire-change/

and don't tell me any of you know more about tires than Michelin.

^^^on a RWD car yes, but FWD you put em on the front. Unless I'm a double moron, I thought they are always supposed to go on the drive tires?

thats what i always thought too...altho ive never owned a fwd car for more than a couple months anyways

i know chains always need to be on the drive wheels, because of traction from a stop...but i didnt know new tires should be on the rear for fwd cars

interesting video redkow - learn something new every day

Edited by Steve Butters

"conrad's" has posters in most of their waiting rooms to avoid arguments with customers over this.

For liability reasons, a shop really should not put new tires on the front wheels unless the customer signs some kind of waiver acknowledging that the shop told them it's unsafe.

Actually on any car that is using rubber tires the better tires really should be on the front. The front tires do the majority of the braking. The most important job of tires is braking then turning then powering the car foward. Snow chains are put on to either all for wheels or just the drive to get out of a bad situation. They are not made for daily driving or cruising down the freeway at high speeds.

Tire chains only on the front of a rear drive car is pretty stupid.

Actually on any car that is using rubber tires the better tires really should be on the front. The front tires do the majority of the braking. The most important job of tires is braking then turning then powering the car foward.

after seeing his video he posted, i have to disagree with you.... ive had bald ass tires that did their job braking just fine, and ive had plenty of fish tail experiences in wet conditions... no such thing as tires too bald to stop your car...you still have compound there, even if its worn down....the tread depth is what will displace water, tread depth wont matter towards stopping distance as long as the compound isnt dry rotted or cupped or something

new tires go on the rear. period. it may seem counter intuitive, but its not. if it is wet out, or icy, the good tread on the rear will keep you pointed straight in an emergency stop.

when the front grips better, then the rear will slide out. you dont want the rear end hydroplaning. especially on the freeway or something.

it is MUCH easier to recover the front end when it slides.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=52

Yes, all the tire rules for FWD have changed. The best or new tires go on the rear. Big investigation by feds and tire companies. Too many FWD cars have spun out for having the opposite. I watched one spin in partial snow and ice on a freeway, when it's back end came loose. About a turn and a half and shot off the freeway backwards and spun several more times the other way, and was stuck in the snow off the road. I like RWD and 4WD and AWD, but won't own a FWD. Too many people have wrecked one, from poor handling.