How often do you answer your door....Saftey issue?

eggs

i check the peep hole and if i dont know the person on the other side, i do not answer the door...ever

after reading that link though - i bet he DID know the person on the other side....probably pissed off the wrong person, and someone shot him that he thought was a friend is my guess....the house wasnt robbed, and the mother wasnt harmed - the shooter only had one reason to be there, meaning it was probably personal or "business" related

Edited by Steve Butters

I hide in my room with a gun, until my alarm says it's work time. Then I try and sneak out to the car hoping nobody sees me, making sure not to accidentally shoot myself while sprinting to my car safe-zone. Then I hide under my desk at work, trying not to make a peep and Always ready to cap a bitch. It's him or me, and it will be him!

• Upvote 1

I have recently experienced a lot of solicitors coming to my door. I give them the usual "No thank you" and close the door. But a few times they have come after dark. I'll answer the door, but my handgun is visible and at the ready. I'm not apologetic about it. This is my home and my family and I will protect them.

I will also sometimes go out the back door and walk up behind them. They don't expect that and it gives me an advantage if they're not here for a legitimate purpose.

Out here, we know who is knocking on the door. We know all the neighbors, the mail man is sometimes a customer at the shop and the backup mail lady is a relative of a friend, used to work with the fedex home guy at a previous job, and have many mutual friends, and the UPS guy is a friend of a friend. So yeah, if someone else is knocking, or even pulling into the driveway, it's an instant heightened statye of awareness.

Can you answer the door with gun on hip/somewhere showing? I know it's a stupid question but I was curious. Didn't know if it would cause panic. Trust me, I could care less if they are worried, I want my family safe. I normally don't answer if I don't know who it is.

Can you answer the door with gun on hip/somewhere showing? I know it's a stupid question but I was curious. Didn't know if it would cause panic. Trust me, I could care less if they are worried, I want my family safe. I normally don't answer if I don't know who it is.

You can legally open carry in public, why not in your own home?

Side note: I was out at a store with the family, and Chevysoldier and his family, and had forgotten that he OC's quite a often, and when I noticed it I WAS a bit surprised, but far from uncomfortable. I really don't think I would be with anyone else that's OC and minding their own business.

Good question. I don't see how it would be illegal, as long as you weren't pointing the gun at them or threatening them.

I had a rather pushy sales guy knock at my door , just a minute or two after i told him to go pound salt. so before i answered the door I racked the slide on my shotgun then opened the door.. he was like :eek: and was frozen for a second and then stuttered something and walked away..:ROFL:

I hide in my room with a gun, until my alarm says it's work time. Then I try and sneak out to the car hoping nobody sees me, making sure not to accidentally shoot myself while sprinting to my car safe-zone. Then I hide under my desk at work, trying not to make a peep and Always ready to cap a bitch. It's him or me, and it will be him!

you made me laugh.

I have no fear of answering the door at any hour.

I did once open the door at around 2am and yell "WHAT!", and a neighbor kid hoping to get help with his car jumped back and said "don't shoot me!". I thought that was funny.

Another time a drunk insisted he was at the right house. I kept gently pushing him back, and then took him back to his car, and drove it around the block to the other side. I figured he was one street off. I got lucky and caught a gal outside who had just come home and asked her. She knew him and I was done. I'm a nice guy.

• Upvote 1

My little puppy answers the door for me. My front windows are clearly visible(Split level) but not very much accessible from the ground as they are 7ft up, and Basco pearchs his snout on the window ledge all day and watches. He is a nice cuddly 85lbs of Chow/Sheppard, all black, black tongue, hazel eyes that are tiny with no white, and has pearly white K9's. I make sure to brush them often and he likes to show them off. Stop over someday and see them yourself. Many a soliciters have.

Actually a cabby once wouldnt leave my driveway because a girl puked in his cab, I gave him all the $$ we had(I was not in the same cab, nor did I know her, it was a friends Bday after party), and he wouldnt leave.... So I brought Basco out on his leash, and told the cabby he had til 3 to leave or Basco was coming to meet and greet. He left.

I did answer the door 1 time at 3am, it was the cops, dropping another friend off, I had my 9mm behind my back, because at that point Basco was not happy, and neithre was I. Not to shoot the cop, just to shoot the kid.

You can legally open carry in public, why not in your own home?

Side note: I was out at a store with the family, and Chevysoldier and his family, and had forgotten that he OC's quite a often, and when I noticed it I WAS a bit surprised, but far from uncomfortable. I really don't think I would be with anyone else that's OC and minding their own business.

Probably a dumb question, I thought you needed a license to carry a gun. Concealed or open carry. I'm new to owning guns and I'm not too sure what the laws are for carrying a gun in public besides knowing the places that are a no go.

If someone is knocking on my door' date=' chances are I don't know them. People I know call before they show, so I'm expecting them. I answer the door armed pretty much every time, but not typically showing my weapon. The dog is pretty good about knowing who is/isn't welcome. If she doesn't make a fuss I don't worry too much, but I still use caution. The only time I was concerned was when this younger guy came to the door practically demanding to see my gas bill. It was almost 9 o'clock in the evening. I just laughed at first, but he was persistent. He kept looking into the living room though the window and Lyndse finally unsnapped her holster and gave the .380 a quick jerk. His eyes got as big as frisbees and he said, "You're gonna' pull a gun on me?!?!" She replied, "I'm gonna' shoot you if you don't get the fuck off my porch!"

He left. Haven't seen him since. :dunno:[/quote']

That shit is annoying. They came to my door once...Can I see your gas bill?

Me: No.

You won't let me see your gas bill?

Me: No. Slam!

You can be anywhere on your property with a gun concealed or not. Just don't step off of your property if it is concealed and you don't have a permit. Also, it isn't a good idea to be outside with it in hand if you live in town.

My little puppy answers the door for me. My front windows are clearly visible(Split level) but not very much accessible from the ground as they are 7ft up, and Basco pearchs his snout on the window ledge all day and watches. He is a nice cuddly 85lbs of Chow/Sheppard, all black, black tongue, hazel eyes that are tiny with no white, and has pearly white K9's. I make sure to brush them often and he likes to show them off. Stop over someday and see them yourself. Many a soliciters have.

Actually a cabby once wouldnt leave my driveway because a girl puked in his cab, I gave him all the $$ we had(I was not in the same cab, nor did I know her, it was a friends Bday after party), and he wouldnt leave.... So I brought Basco out on his leash, and told the cabby he had til 3 to leave or Basco was coming to meet and greet. He left.

I did answer the door 1 time at 3am, it was the cops, dropping another friend off, I had my 9mm behind my back, because at that point Basco was not happy, and neithre was I. Not to shoot the cop, just to shoot the kid.

Puke is an occupational hazard for cabbies. I don't know why they feel that they can be compensated for cleaning it up.

Can you answer the door with gun on hip/somewhere showing? I know it's a stupid question but I was curious. Didn't know if it would cause panic...

You can answer your door nekkid except for a gun belt and holster, if you want. It's your house.

...and Lyndse finally unsnapped her holster and gave the .380 a quick jerk. His eyes got as big as frisbees and he said' date=' "You're gonna' pull a gun on me?!?!" She replied, "I'm gonna' shoot you if you don't get the fuck off my porch!"

He left. Haven't seen him since. :dunno:[/quote']

The more I hear about her, the more I'm sure you married up... ;)

...I'm a nice guy.

You're a good man, Charlie Brown.

That shit is annoying. They came to my door once...Can I see your gas bill?

Me: No.

You won't let me see your gas bill?

Me: No. Slam!

What's with people wanting to see your gas bill?!? Why? I could give a rat's @ss what my neighbor's gas (or electric, or <fill in the blank>) bill is...

I've got a sign on my door I made that says...

NO SOLICITATION

That means you churgoers and salesman, we don't want any!

If some still knocks I'll answer during daylight hours because we keep the

storm door locked, if they are selling something, I look at this with disgust

and point at my sign then slam the door. :rolleyes:

The wife generally doesn't answer the door at all unless she knows who

is there after looking thru the peephole.