New Bike Thoughts

Jst2fst

I can do a max of $350 a month for Insurance, I mean hell when I was 18 my insurance on my '06 Kia Rio was $280 a month clean driving record at the time too. I've always had high insurance premiums tickets or no tickets. :nono:

just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Yea, I know I jut was a new model bike I picky when I buy new toys. Heck I might just have to put the bike on my moms insurance I'll get a lower rate jk. I've already figured out how I'm gonna pay it if it get that high. Insurance is not really what I'm worried about its the bike. Like I mentioned I know nothing about Yamaha's. The YZF-R6 looks like a strong bike but I'm not 100% sure need insight from people who ride then. Can't really get that from forum reviews.

Also because the bike is gonna be financed no matter what year I get I'm looking at at least $200 or more a month.

Some of you guys really need to check State Farm for insurance, they rate bikes by engine size and could care less what type of bike it is ( Super sport, Cruiser,)

My most expensive bike is $117 (1200cc) and my least expensive is my Zuma at $9.47 (50cc). Those rates are per year, full coverage 100/300/100. It helps that I insure my homes, cars & life with State Farm as well and the only claims I have ever filed are for 2 car windshields in 27 years on the road.

I agree with everyone else that says riding without insurance is just plain dumb and that includes medical insurance as well.

Wow... must be nice to throw money away like that. :dunno:

Regarding the yamahas... here's a formula for you:

Yamaha(Honda)/Kawasaki+Suzuki = the exact same bike.

For the most part, this is true. Essentially, you are picking colors. All pretty equal unless you have the skill set to see the differences.

Yea, I know I jut was a new model bike I picky when I buy new toys. Heck I might just have to put the bike on my moms insurance I'll get a lower rate jk. I've already figured out how I'm gonna pay it if it get that high. Insurance is not really what I'm worried about its the bike. Like I mentioned I know nothing about Yamaha's. The YZF-R6 looks like a strong bike but I'm not 100% sure need insight from people who ride then. Can't really get that from forum reviews.

Also because the bike is gonna be financed no matter what year I get I'm looking at at least $200 or more a month.

Don't finance toys, or at least don't finance them for very long.

Don't finance bikes when there's still depreciation to be had. A 3 year old bike is still depreciating. You're going to lose your ass on a 1 year old bike.

People who ride "them" are all over this forum. If you can't really "get" that, then you aren't listening to the advice being given. Coming from someone who came off a post-Kat 600 into a 600RR, you'll be very happy with a 600 supersport as long as it's got FI, and you can go back as far as 2001 to get it. You want advice, there it is.

Or you can spend a fuckton of money every month on something that's realistically overkill. Your financial state is of no concern to me, all I can tell you is you're getting anally raped with a pine tree with those insurance quotes, that accident in '07 WILL be factored into the insurance quote (5 years, bub), and you're too young to get the good rates. Adjust yourself accordingly.

i feel your pain they want $600 a month for full coverage on my r1. i got the liability so i could take it home and let it lapse the next month. if i wreck it with just minimum i have to pay for it anyway so why give them money every month?

Because you have to in order to legally be able to ride it on public roads, because you have to in order to finance the bike (which I'm sure you did), because you have to in order to not get completely screwed with administrative fines, suspended license (but why give them money to have it reinstated, right?), and other such fuckery, but most of all, because you don't want everything you own be subject to a civil lawsuit on behalf of the victim that you just hit. And believe me bub, if you hit me I'd take EVERYTHING.

• Upvote 1

I would never pay that in insurance. I would get a different bike and put that money toward something else. Plenty of good bikes that aren't SS that will be hands down better than what you have. Open up your search.

but, he's picky.

I would never pay that in insurance. I would get a different bike and put that money toward something else. Plenty of good bikes that aren't SS that will be hands down better than what you have. Open up your search.

Ditto - there are lots of bikes that would be upgrades from a '94 Katana. Even a F4i would be a significant bump and you would save some bucks.

Avoid the euphoria of the showroom and get something used. Please, you don't want to start your adult life in the hole with $500/month on a bike and insurance. This is a house payment in some decent communities. That being stated, get the Yamaha because they are better.:worshipR6:

Oh...Boy, this was a mistake...again. Okay, lets start off here I don't really want to buy anything used again really unless it stand out among the other bikes on hand. Nothing wrong with it just not me now. You guys are only focused on the insurance aspect. In you eyes it higher then what you pay. But remember that some of you also have more vehicles on your policy, cleaner driving records, married, own a home, have kids, over 25 age range ect. I'm just screwed either way I knew insurance could be this high I just wanted to see if their were cheaper rates and which insurance company's were the best for motorcycle rates. I'm going to check out the links provided for alternative insurance and report back.

You do what you want but you asked for advice and everyone is saying font spend that much on insurance because it's not worth it. What you paying on a SS insurance is my damn car payment. Plus your talking about financing the bike which your payment is gonna be over 200 and your gonna lose money financing over a couple years. So your looking at 500+ on a bike. You do what you want but I'd wait 2 years for the break and get a f4i or sv650s or something.

I just don't understand why people willingly take such a depreciation hit on new vehicles. It makes no sense to me unless you are going to keep it a VERY long time

That's the plan to keep it... Now I don't go out every year and get a new car because the one I have is last years model. No, I keep my vehicles. Even if I go with Allstate if and when I get this bike it will have full coverage insurance because its has to have it. So god forbid anything were to happen to me or the bike. I'm just trying to be cover from all angles. That's all plus the bikes price has already gone down MSRP was like around $10,500 bike price now is $7,500. Its just been sitting on the showroom only 1 mile on the odometer.

That's the plan to keep it... Now I don't go out every year and get a new car because the one I have is last years model. No, I keep my vehicles. Even if I go with Allstate if and when I get this bike it will have full coverage insurance because its has to have it. So god forbid anything were to happen to me or the bike. I'm just trying to be cover from all angles. That's all plus the bikes price has already gone down MSRP was like around $10,500 bike price now is $7,500. Its just been sitting on the showroom only 1 mile on the odometer.

that bike will be 10k out the door still I bet. I've only looked at a new bike once and it was about 2 months ago. Only reason is because its a limited edition CBR and the closest new or used I've found within 400 miles

My problem is I go though toys pretty fast. I get bored and then try to either make money or come out even on the situation. I got my first bike last August and am on my 3rd bike, if I can flip one more bike for a couple hundred bucks, I've now had 3 free bikes :D

that bike will be 10k out the door still I bet. I've only looked at a new bike once and it was about 2 months ago. Only reason is because its a limited edition CBR and the closest new or used I've found within 400 miles

My problem is I go though toys pretty fast. I get bored and then try to either make money or come out even on the situation. I got my first bike last August and am on my 3rd bike, if I can flip one more bike for a couple hundred bucks, I've now had 3 free bikes :D

Yea, I can't be flipping bikes like that I'm thinking its gonna be at the most 9k out the door. Done enough financing to see a pattern :nono:

... I just wanted to see if their were cheaper rates and which insurance company's were the best for motorcycle rates. I'm going to check out the links provided for alternative insurance and report back.

Be sure to keep a close eye on what kind and how much coverage you are getting. A lot of those low rates don't have enough coverage if you actually needed it.

Yea, I can't be flipping bikes like that I'm thinking its gonna be at the most 9k out the door. Done enough financing to see a pattern :nono:

i guess it depends on the dealer. The bike I was looking at was $7999 and it was about 10.7 OTD. It may LOOK like 9 but unless you plan on paying it off earlier with no penalties, its gonna be more like 11-12k if not more

Be sure to keep a close eye on what kind and how much coverage you are getting. A lot of those low rates don't have enough coverage if you actually needed it.

Seeings how my primary insurance company is Nationwide and I'll be going to Allstate for my new bike I have all of my policies ran through him he's a family friend so I know I have enough coverage.