New Bike Thoughts

Jst2fst

No I don't have a new bike just yet. I was trying to get a '08 GSXR-1000 but the insurance for me will be between $350-$550 a month for full coverage. So I'm looking at a '10 YZF-R6 which is gonna be around $275-$330 a month something I can handle. I don't know much about this bike and how reliable they are. Anyone own one that can tell me how they are. Looking to get this possibly this month or next month. I like the Black Raven paint.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelspecs/8/1/specs.aspx

You need to buy something that you can afford to wreck.

x eleventy billion

First, I'd re-shop for insurance because at one point I had 3 bikes on insurance and it was still half that combined and I know I'm still overpaying. Check out this: http://www.rider.com/default.html I don't have any experience with them but considering giving them a shot this spring when I pick up whatever new bike I end up with

Second, you're way better off getting something used and a couple years old simply because the deals right now are pretty damn good. Unless you have unlimited amounts of money, I don't see why anyone would currently want to take such a large hit of depreciation on a new bike.

Thirdly, what is your overall goal of use going to be?

Edited by Bad324

How in the hell is your insurance so much? Cheese and rice... What the hell did you do man! Mine does not cost that on 3 bikes for a year....

+1.

Full coverage on my ducati is $50 a month. Back in 2007 when I bought my zx10 it was only $65 a month for full coverage and I bought the bike new

If your insurance is that high (Honestly, it isn't much of a difference between the two), you really shouldn't be buying new. Buy an older 600 and you'll be paying less on insurance. However, it is still going to be high from 06 and up and that's due to some crazy shit you've done.

My suggestion is to wait or buy used and only carry the minimum.

As for info on the R6... It and the newest GSXR600 are top of the heap and pretty much better than 95% of people can handle so, good nuff.

I'm guessing your insurance is do to age. Until I turned 25 the only place I could get a decent price for insurance was state farm. When I bought my cbr progressive wanted me paying more a month for insurance than the bike payment. That's with a clear driving record. Some places wouldn't give me a quote. Check out Tito Paul in Delaware he's the best I could find.

I'm guessing your insurance is do to age. Until I turned 25 the only place I could get a decent price for insurance was state farm. When I bought my cbr progressive wanted me paying more a month for insurance than the bike payment. That's with a clear driving record. Some places wouldn't give me a quote. Check out Tito Paul in Delaware he's the best I could find.

Yea, I just turned 23 last month, I have insurance for my katana and its $37 a month for minimum coverage. I got a quote for the Gixer and minimunm coverage was $250 a month. They classified it as a High Risk Motorcycle my agent is a family friend and he said that they have problems with these bike with people being killed so they have to charge out the ass so they can break even. My driving record is I had an accident back in '07 but that's dropped of my license also I have a speeding ticket from '08 and that's it.

I got the quote through Allstate and it was like $282 for full coverage. I'm not buying the bike straight out its gonna be financed so that's a factor in how much my insurance cost. Geico is a rip they wanted aver $550 for the gixer 1000. Progressive is just as worse with their price. Allstate is the only one that's cheap. Obviously I'm still looking for some decent Insurance.

Allstate is the only one that's cheap. Obviously I'm still looking for some decent Insurance.

I have Allstate for that reason too. When I got my first bike (600RR), everyone wanted 2k+ for a year of full coverage. Allstate was half of that and the quotes I've gotten from Rider's is half of Allstate. I haven't made the switch because I'm waiting to hear a first hand account at how they do with claims in case I do need to make one

i feel your pain they want $600 a month for full coverage on my r1. i got the liability so i could take it home and let it lapse the next month. if i wreck it with just minimum i have to pay for it anyway so why give them money every month?

if you want that r6 your better off to just buy a left over from 06+ and save the money. they are all the same bike with diffrent pain schemes. on the other hand if you feel confident in your abilitys get the gsxr1k and forget the insurance. they dont look into that kinda stuff. just buy some crash protection and you should be alright if you get into a minor accident.

i feel your pain they want $600 a month for full coverage on my r1. i got the liability so i could take it home and let it lapse the next month. if i wreck it with just minimum i have to pay for it anyway so why give them money every month?

if you want that r6 your better off to just buy a left over from 06+ and save the money. they are all the same bike with diffrent pain schemes. on the other hand if you feel confident in your abilitys get the gsxr1k and forget the insurance. they dont look into that kinda stuff. just buy some crash protection and you should be alright if you get into a minor accident.

First, not carrying insurance is a really stupid idea. All you guys riding around w/o insurance need to understand that if you get into an accident and it is your fault and you hurt someone or damage anything, you're in deep shit. If you do that to me, I will sue the shit out of you and probably force you into bankruptcy. Really, really dumb to risk such things...

Then, anyone on here suggesting you don't get insurance is as ignorant as if you decide for yourself. Please don't be a dumb ass.

Second, there is a huge difference between the 06/07 R6s and the 08/09s. They changed a lot of things. Doesn't make the 06/07 shit in comparison, but they are certainly very different. Not just BNGs...

Just wait until you get a random insurance check from the dmvin the mail. No proof of insurance will get you an automatic license suspension, lots of fines, fees. And will probably be required to carry an Sr-22 which will only make it more expensive. Not having insurance is fucking retarded period.

Just wait until you get a random insurance check from the dmvin the mail. No proof of insurance will get you an automatic license suspension, lots of fines, fees. And will probably be required to carry an Sr-22 which will only make it more expensive. Not having insurance is fucking retarded period.

There's another person speaking the truth. Forgot about the SR thingy... BAD, BAD news...

I don't think an 06/07 would be much less to insure than an 08/09. It still a super sport. What about something like an FZ1 or Z1000?

Pretty much anything bigger than a 750cc is gonna rape me on Insurance. I'd like to get a 1000cc but insurance price dictates if I'm willing to pony up $550 a month.

You won't escape high insurance premiums at your age' date=' but you can lessen the blow by not buying a brand new supersport. Don't be stupid.[/quote']

I can do a max of $350 a month for Insurance, I mean hell when I was 18 my insurance on my '06 Kia Rio was $280 a month clean driving record at the time too. I've always had high insurance premiums tickets or no tickets. :nono: