New Bike Thoughts

Jst2fst

So let me get this straight:

You're 23 years old, and you got your first bike, 93 Kat 600, this year as a fixer for about 300 bucks, plus whatever you put into it in parts which given your documented issues with it I assume is about 750, all in, not counting your or anyone else's labor time. Rode on temps when you first got your bike together, got your endorsement in late August. Between the mechanical and electrical issues (like riding with electricity arcing between the handlebars), you feel that you have outgrown your bike in 3 months and want to purchase a Gixxer750/1000. But it's cool, you'll hold on to this for a long time, so financing it is no problem.

Firing up the blockquoter, this is going to be a long one.

Oh...Boy, this was a mistake...again. Okay, lets start off here I don't really want to buy anything used again really unless it stand out among the other bikes on hand. Nothing wrong with it just not me now. You guys are only focused on the insurance aspect. In you eyes it higher then what you pay. But remember that some of you also have more vehicles on your policy, cleaner driving records, married, own a home, have kids, over 25 age range ect. I'm just screwed either way I knew insurance could be this high I just wanted to see if their were cheaper rates and which insurance company's were the best for motorcycle rates. I'm going to check out the links provided for alternative insurance and report back.

You want a bike that stands out? Go buy the Benelli that omaraloui was selling a while ago, or a BMW S1000RR. News flash kid, Japanese motorcycles are mass-the-fuck-produced. After a while they become just like cars from last model year, you see them everywhere and they've lost all their new charm. What makes them unique is the things that the riders do to them, but since you've only been riding for 3 months, I don't necessarily expect you to understand that yet. However, since you seem to be content with throwing at least $5-600 a month down that hole, I also don't expect you to be doing any mods anytime soon.

As far as insurance goes, my record is shit. I'm 30, no kids, and was dropped by State Farm last year for too many tickets and the claim I filed when I wrecked my Kat (plus another in '05), and even after fleeing to Progressive I STILL paid 145/yr for liability only on the CBR. The only thing I can think of is you have a DUI on your record or something you're not sharing. It's totally cool, your business is your business, and we don't need to know the gritty details. However, your rates are that way for one reason or another, and it doesn't seem like there's a magic bullet company that's going to charge you 90 a year. Perhaps instead of looking to see what insurance companies were the best for motorcycle rates, you should see what motorcycles are best for insurance rates. Here's a hint: ANYTHING BUT GIXXERS AND BUSAS.

That's the plan to keep it... Now I don't go out every year and get a new car because the one I have is last years model. No, I keep my vehicles. Even if I go with Allstate if and when I get this bike it will have full coverage insurance because its has to have it. So god forbid anything were to happen to me or the bike. I'm just trying to be cover from all angles. That's all plus the bikes price has already gone down MSRP was like around $10,500 bike price now is $7,500. Its just been sitting on the showroom only 1 mile on the odometer.

Have you ever stopped to think why it's been sitting on that showroom floor? I think I've already debunked the other bullshit in here.

Yea, I can't be flipping bikes like that I'm thinking its gonna be at the most 9k out the door. Done enough financing to see a pattern :nono:

Have you now?

• Upvote 1

I would say to find a newer 600 and learn to ride and stay away from the liter bikes till you turn 25 and your rates drop. If you are riding a ragged out kat 600 a newer 600 or 636, maybe a 675 would be way faster/better handling then your kat. Hell if you want something bigger that stands out buy tpoppas z750s he had for sale. That would be cheap to insure and would be a step up from your kat.

Oh...Boy, this was a mistake...again. Okay, lets start off here I don't really want to buy anything used again really unless it stand out among the other bikes on hand. Nothing wrong with it just not me now. You guys are only focused on the insurance aspect. In you eyes it higher then what you pay. But remember that some of you also have more vehicles on your policy, cleaner driving records, married, own a home, have kids, over 25 age range ect. I'm just screwed either way I knew insurance could be this high I just wanted to see if their were cheaper rates and which insurance company's were the best for motorcycle rates. I'm going to check out the links provided for alternative insurance and report back.

Unless it really stands out amongst other bikes? You lump the R6 and GSXR1000 and others in the area of "standing out"???? Dude, cookie cutter comes to mind. Again, pick a color and ride it.

If you want something that stands out, look at used and buy something a little more unique. MV, Aprilia, Ducati, etc. Not a lot of older model birds floating around.

You go off and buy a 2010 R6 and it is going to look like the last 5 years of Yamahas. Pretty stand outish if you ask me...

But again, if you want something that stands out and you own a 94 Katana... Well, you really aren't needing to take a huge jump to make a huge change...

Edited by Desmo-Brian

So let me get this straight:

You're 23 years old, and you got your first bike, 93 Kat 600, this year as a fixer for about 300 bucks, plus whatever you put into it in parts which given your documented issues with it I assume is about 750, all in, not counting your or anyone else's labor time. Rode on temps when you first got your bike together, got your endorsement in late August. Between the mechanical and electrical issues (like riding with electricity arcing between the handlebars), you feel that you have outgrown your bike in 3 months and want to purchase a Gixxer750/1000. But it's cool, you'll hold on to this for a long time, so financing it is no problem.

Firing up the blockquoter, this is going to be a long one.

You want a bike that stands out? Go buy the Benelli that omaraloui was selling a while ago, or a BMW S1000RR. News flash kid, Japanese motorcycles are mass-the-fuck-produced. After a while they become just like cars from last model year, you see them everywhere and they've lost all their new charm. What makes them unique is the things that the riders do to them, but since you've only been riding for 3 months, I don't necessarily expect you to understand that yet. However, since you seem to be content with throwing at least $5-600 a month down that hole, I also don't expect you to be doing any mods anytime soon.

As far as insurance goes, my record is shit. I'm 30, no kids, and was dropped by State Farm last year for too many tickets and the claim I filed when I wrecked my Kat (plus another in '05), and even after fleeing to Progressive I STILL paid 145/yr for liability only on the CBR. The only thing I can think of is you have a DUI on your record or something you're not sharing. It's totally cool, your business is your business, and we don't need to know the gritty details. However, your rates are that way for one reason or another, and it doesn't seem like there's a magic bullet company that's going to charge you 90 a year. Perhaps instead of looking to see what insurance companies were the best for motorcycle rates, you should see what motorcycles are best for insurance rates. Here's a hint: ANYTHING BUT GIXXERS AND BUSAS.

Have you ever stopped to think why it's been sitting on that showroom floor? I think I've already debunked the other bullshit in here.

Have you now?

As far as my insurance I've asked why my rates are high no one is able to explain why. The cookie cutter response I keep hearing is because of my age speeding ticket and and accident that's dropped of my license summer '09 and the type of bike it is. Given its a smaller cc I don't see how it can still be this high. I've just come to the fact to just pay it that's why this price doesn't really shock me that much. I have no idea what other factors play into the pricing except age, driving record, vehicle type/year. I p,an on keeping the bike for some time no need for immediate mods as I'm not gonna be on track or anything like that.

As far as my insurance I've asked why my rates are high no one is able to explain why. The cookie cutter response I keep hearing is because of my age speeding ticket and and accident that's dropped of my license summer '09 and the type of bike it is. Given its a smaller cc I don't see how it can still be this high. I've just come to the fact to just pay it that's why this price doesn't really shock me that much. I have no idea what other factors play into the pricing except age, driving record, vehicle type/year. I p,an on keeping the bike for some time no need for immediate mods as I'm not gonna be on track or anything like that.

Your rates are high due to the accident. I'm with Cheech... You are obviously entitled to keep it quiet, but I suspect that the accident was your fault, was probably involving DUI or similar. At your age with one speeding ticket (Of course, that could have been reckless op, fleeing, etc...) and one accident, it shouldn't be that high...

However, the bike may be the same cc size as you own now, but if you think they are the same capacity and ability, you need to stay off a current genie 600...

Anytime - especially if you have family or friends in insurance, they should be able to tell you why it is so high. Again, I don't think we are getting the whole nine yards here on details and that's fine. However, it's like going to get a loan. They tell you why you don't get one... The insurance company can tell you exactly why they are not able to get you anything lower in rates...

The answer to that is age, driving record, and vehicle type/year. Own/rent home, student/professional, and use for work/pleasure are peripheral factors, but you already covered the biggies.

If you want some more advice that you won't listen to, here it is: Take that 600 a month and put that into a savings account for a year, make it so you can't easily access the money. In 12 months you'll have $7200, which is more than enough to buy a bike that "stands out" like a RC51, VFR, or something. Since you are paying cash, you don't have to have full coverage and won't get as anally raped for insurance. Ride the shit out of the Katana, get to know motorcycling a little more than 3 months, and you'll have a new appreciation and understanding for when you do upgrade to something else.

The answer to that is age, driving record, and vehicle type/year. Own/rent home, student/professional, and use for work/pleasure are peripheral factors, but you already covered the biggies.

If you want some more advice that you won't listen to, here it is: Take that 600 a month and put that into a savings account for a year, make it so you can't easily access the money. In 12 months you'll have $7200, which is more than enough to buy a bike that "stands out" like a RC51, VFR, or something. Since you are paying cash, you don't have to have full coverage and won't get as anally raped for insurance. Ride the shit out of the Katana, get to know motorcycling a little more than 3 months, and you'll have a new appreciation and understanding for when you do upgrade to something else.

or if he realizes that motorcycle manufactures finance via a credit card that you do not have to maintain full coverage. Or if he stops trusting "friends of the family" and makes some phone calls he could save a bunch of money with other insurance companies.

I would not only finance a new bike, but make sure you get a bunch of accessories...and finance them too. That way you'll always owe way more than the bike is worth. If something changes and you need to sell it, you won't be to without getting totally screwed out of thousands of dollars. And that's f'n hardcore. Plus a new bike is really shiny, so who cares what insurance costs.

Good financial decisions are for pussies anyway.

• Upvote 1

I would not only finance a new bike, but make sure you get a bunch of accessories...and finance them too. That way you'll always owe way more than the bike is worth. If something changes and you need to sell it, you won't be to without getting totally screwed out of thousands of dollars. And that's f'n hardcore. Plus a new bike is really shiny, so who cares what insurance costs.

Good financial decisions are for pussies anyway.

wealth is relative, if everyone had a million dollars nobody would be rich. So please let him make his poor financial decisions so I can feel better about my financial situation.

Jst2fst,

I have been in the Insurance business...You have no friends when it comes to business...Why so many people look at their insurance person as their friend, just amazes me...They might be your friend outside of work, but not when your policy is laying in front of them...I am not saying it can't exist, but trust me, it is very rare today!!!

Shop around for yourself, outside of the family friend, you will be glad you did!

Probably most of the advice given in this thread is from past experiences, only to help you avoid issues others have seen and experienced, not to discourage you in any way, but only to help you to not make a bad decision...You might want to drop the guard a bit, and listen up...Even though the majority will not confess to such, in fear of being labeled as a hypocrite, the only way they can know is from some type of life experience, if not then they are just being "know it alls", decipher the nonsense, there is some good advice being shared with you here!

I myself have made some poor decisions in purchasing motorcycles over the years...I always thought I needed the most up to date, the fastest, the coolest, for the longest time, that caused me some serious financial lose throughout the years...Trust me I still want these things, but now I show a bit of discipline and realize I do not need it, nor will I ever use it.

Think what does your current bike do for you, and how are you using it, if you are not satisfied with it, you need to find out why, what is missing, and what do I actually need, then decide on the motorcycle you are truly needing...If it is solely for show and bragging rights, then all this great advice everyone is willing to share with you is no more than meaningless, if that is the case buy what you want, how you want, and pay what you want, it is simple!

If you truly are into riding and experiencing all of the fun and excitement motorcycling has to offer, which it took me a long time to gather myself, but I am a slow learner, you will open your eyes and consider some of the great motorcycles available to you outside of the super sport style models...Sure you might not have the bragging rights or the status among some you ride with or are friends with, but that is only because they don't get it yet!!!

Best of luck with your decision, enjoy the new bike, and ride safe!!!:)

Jst2fst,

I have been in the Insurance business...You have no friends when it comes to business...Why so many people look at their insurance person as their friend, just amazes me...They might be your friend outside of work, but not when your policy is laying in front of them...I am not saying it can't exist, but trust me, it is very rare today!!!

Shop around for yourself, outside of the family friend, you will be glad you did!

Probably most of the advice given in this thread is from past experiences, only to help you avoid issues others have seen and experienced, not to discourage you in any way, but only to help you to not make a bad decision...You might want to drop the guard a bit, and listen up...Even though the majority will not confess to such, in fear of being labeled as a hypocrite, the only way they can know is from some type of life experience, if not then they are just being "know it alls", decipher the nonsense, there is some good advice being shared with you here!

I myself have made some poor decisions in purchasing motorcycles over the years...I always thought I needed the most up to date, the fastest, the coolest, for the longest time, that caused me some serious financial lose throughout the years...Trust me I still want these things, but now I show a bit of discipline and realize I do not need it, nor will I ever use it.

Think what does your current bike do for you, and how are you using it, if you are not satisfied with it, you need to find out why, what is missing, and what do I actually need, then decide on the motorcycle you are truly needing...If it is solely for show and bragging rights, then all this great advice everyone is willing to share with you is no more than meaningless, if that is the case buy what you want, how you want, and pay what you want, it is simple!

If you truly are into riding and experiencing all of the fun and excitement motorcycling has to offer, which it took me a long time to gather myself, but I am a slow learner, you will open your eyes and consider some of the great motorcycles available to you outside of the super sport style models...Sure you might not have the bragging rights or the status among some you ride with or are friends with, but that is only because they don't get it yet!!!

Best of luck with your decision, enjoy the new bike, and ride safe!!!:)

Thanks, for the insight. Okay I have too many people to quote so I'm gonna try and answer all of the responses sorry If I leave anyone out. This thread quickly became an insurance bash instead of a help on a new bike. Okay, my first choice a newer bike was a used '08 Gixer-1000 why its was $7500 then I saw how high my insurance from Nationwide would be on it. $250 minimum coverage and $550 for full coverage. Went to Geico and progressive and was quoted for $450 a month. Tried Allstate and it was about $400 a month. State Farm would not even give me a quote because the rep said that they don't do individual policies for motorcycles you had to have a package deal Home, Life Insurance or what ever other type of insurance coverage they offer.

As I was in the dealership I noticed a 2010 R6 for the same price $7500. Thought hmm why not just buy a brand new instead of the used Gixer. Insurance would be cheaper. Well the insurance was cheaper kinda. Geico wants $350 a month and progressive wants the same. I even tried the rider.com insurance that was suggested and was quoted at $450 a month.

I have shopped around like some say I haven't done my homework. As far a by not going with a family friend I can't do that. I've always gotten my car insurance through him. Nationwide is the cheaper car insurance for me. When I first got my license some places wanted $400 a month to have me added to my mother policy. I call or insurance agent and he got me added for $200 a month. Good deal I say. He's never steered me wrong on insurance and I trust this guy with my life without a doubt. He's the one that told me to try other insurance companies for a cheaper rate because his company was unable to do so.

I'm not getting a new bike to show off like hey look what I just bought and it cost this much a month yea I got money like that. No, I have no need to showoff I'm not one to gloat about one's personal wealth and/or financial stability. I'm 23 I already have debt from previous young and dumb ideas(credit cards). I've learned and by doing so I'm willing to spend a bit more to make sure that my investment is well taken care of in the event of an accident.

I have nothing against used bike I'd prefer to have one but in this situation I' might as well buy the 2010 over the 2008 for the same price due to the insurance prices. That's where I'm coming from on buying new over used in this situation each situation different as most of us should know that. Were not all kids some of you should be able to see the difference I would think.

Say what you want about your rates mine are not going to change and its something I've come to deal with. Yea, I would like to pay almost next to nothing for full coverage but its not gonna happen.

Plz continue to post what and where you spend money. I'll be starting a Jst2fst index fund because with your financial savvy and priorities in life -- my partners and I will be making gobs of money off you.

Ride safe on that Yami

Why? How are my priorities off in life. I take care of my personal expenses first then I have money for toys.

That's fine, not all of us have that silver spoon. I sure as hell wouldn't pay $200/mo to insure a new toy. And you already said you aren't good with credit. So that's how investors get rich. If you're rich enough to afford $200/mo just to insure it, then you don't care if insurance companies which I invest in get a piece of that pie, or on the flip side, you're not bright enough to use that money for better purposes and you're stuck in a perpetual debt trap, living hand-to-mouth, and never being able to retire because you can't afford it. Either situation, I get rich because you don't care about my cut, or you're gonna slave the rest of your life to pay me off.

But like shitty pointed out, you having less money makes everyone that has more feel better about themselves. More power to you.

I love sometimes having patience and waiting for deals. I'm about to get an 08 600RR thats basically new for half of what either of those 2 bikes will cost ya.

As far as bike advice goes, why spend $7500 on a bike when you could find practically the same for less than $5000? The market is shit right now and there are A LOT of people who just need to get rid of their bike because they need the funds thus creating some sweet deals. I've already landed 2 in the last year doing this and hopefully going to land a 3rd if this bike checks out

..or' date=' maybe he's a retard. :dunno:[/quote']

No, I don't think so. So yesterday I spoke to an insurance rep for Farmers they use Formost insurance for motorcycles. My quotes were still high $450 a month for full coverage and like 100 for liability, I was however able to get an exact reason as to why. It seems that insurance companies are starting to base your rates off or you credit score :nono: (in other words I'm screwed) I have some credit but not enough. He said that it does it play a factor in your policy now. I'm not 100% sure if he's correct on it or whatever.

I might see if I can just put liability on it with collision so the bikes fine if anything happens. Anyone on here do this or know someone who has?