Another noob question lol

JStump

So i wanna ride my bike to work when it warms up but i dont have my MSF class till april which means i cant ride on "congested roads and interstate highways" does this include 4 lane divided high ways? cuz i take route 20, 10 and I480 from lagrange to north olmsted, well 20 and 10 are never congested unless its rush hour. i know i cant ride on I480 but thats not a big deal, i can just get off 1 exit earlier than i usually do before 10 turns into 480 but can i ride on 20 and 10 as long as its not congested? im just itching to get out riding if you cant tell lol :D

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can ride where ever you want... As long as you don't do something stupid and get pulled over! :lol:

When I was riding on my temps, I stayed away from those types of areas most of the time, but I did ride in a fairly congested area for one of my first rides that was more than just around the block, or the few miles into town.

i cant ride on "congested roads and interstate highways" does this include 4 lane divided high ways?

I hate this part of the permit packet. The congested roads could be any roads that receive a lot of traffic and is subject to the cop. That being said I rode all the was to Carlisle, PA on a permit so as long as you aren't doing anything to get you pulled over you should be fine.

I hate this part of the permit packet. The congested roads could be any roads that receive a lot of traffic and is subject to the cop. That being said I rode all the was to Carlisle, PA on a permit so as long as you aren't doing anything to get you pulled over you should be fine.

That's what I figured, I'll just have to be extra careful not to speed when im on the highway till I get my license, then its fair game lol.

Just so you know they know you only have your permit when they run your tags. Highway patrol pulled me over intown for riding 2up with only a permit. I thought the same thing. I wont do anything dumb and they wont ever know. WRONG! Had to have my aunt pick up my wife and then i was allowed to leave. With a ticket of course.

Definitely still take the MSF class. I doubt just the test is free though, you may want to call them. The state always wants money is why I'm guessing it may not be. Let us know if it is or not. I would've failed the test w/out the class because the MSF taught me the basics at first. I had no experience but 2 weeks staying within 5 miles of my home. They got my feet wet and then it took off from there. 8 seasons ago, boy time flies.

The test at the BMV is free, you pay for the validation. I took my test at the BMV because I needed to ride at night so it was quicker for me that way. Then a few months later took the MSF course.

The "congested roads" is bs because it is at the discretion of the officer. If you do get a ticket for seomthing restricted due to you only having a permit, I think it is pretty stiff. Like you lose your permit and can't get another for like a year? I don't remember exactly but know it was a pain in the butt for violating the rules.

Edit: I failed my first test, barely. Went in two weeks later and aced it. I was nervous the first time and didn't know what to expect. Then I practiced some and it was really easy after that.

The "congested roads" is bs because it is at the discretion of the officer. If you do get a ticket for seomthing restricted due to you only having a permit, I think it is pretty stiff. Like you lose your permit and can't get another for like a year? I don't remember exactly but know it was a pain in the butt for violating the rules.

i think they have the ability to call it a "no op" (no operators license) if you are caught violating the temps rules which you can loose your drivers license for 6 months and the ability to get a motorcycle license for a year so i think ill take my chances at the BMV on the next warm day so i dont have to worry about it any more.