Discount day at Nelson for Ohio Riders - May 14 2011

jbot

Going to sign up and pay for this tomorrow. Don't know what class to sign up for Novice or intermediate I have did two trackdays one at putnam and one at midohio what do some recommend being this is my third trackday?

Prolly just end up doing novice not sure I'm ready for anything else

if you've done a few track days already, and the instructors gave you feedback saying "you're doing well" and "keep it up, you'll be ready for I group" and etc, then you can sign up for intermediate and ask for a tow for the first few sessions. i'm sure one of the open/intermediate riders familiar with nelson will be happy to give you a tow around, and if I'm free, I'll be happy to do so as well.

the second biggest thing is, that you're consistent in your lines and that you are not too skittish about getting passed in the corners (or in general). the biggest thing is your comfort level, so if you're just plain not ready, just do novice. they can always bump you up to open assuming there is room.

Im probably doing novice again. The first session was basically a walk around the track. the next 2 in the morning were quicker but we were held up by the rain. The last one we got to do we were scooting around pretty good but track still wasn't completely dry. Im hoping the pace this time steps up a bit more.

Im probably doing novice again. The first session was basically a walk around the track. the next 2 in the morning were quicker but we were held up by the rain. The last one we got to do we were scooting around pretty good but track still wasn't completely dry. Im hoping the pace this time steps up a bit more.

was novice broke up into groups like mid-ohio does or did last year or is it ran more like nesba

We broke into smaller groups of like 3-5. My group had 5 but we were the faster riders. We can request to be in the same group and see about a faster pace. Im sure they would accommodate. I am not sure how Mid-O or NESBA runs their novice.

pray for good weather, and with the instruction program restructuring taking place... i think the pace will be more than adequate.

Do I need to safetywire my banjo bolts?

if you are not racing, no.

was novice broke up into groups like mid-ohio does or did last year or is it ran more like nesba
We broke into smaller groups of like 3-5. My group had 5 but we were the faster riders. We can request to be in the same group and see about a faster pace. Im sure they would accommodate. I am not sure how Mid-O or NESBA runs their novice.

STT, motoseries, and midohio PTR all have similar instructional group programs. NESBA's novice/beginner program is a bit more free-ballin', but they are perceived to have better control in other areas that other school are commonly thought to be lacking in.

as was mentioned in the april thread, the squeaky wheel commonly gets the grease. that said, those of us who can, will try to be more proactive about getting you guys into appropriate groups (and rearranging groups and even bumping into intermediate if necessary). again though, i think you'll find that the instructional group will be quite a bit different when the track is dry.

Do I need to safetywire my banjo bolts?

No

They split you into groups like MidO. They tend to let people run free the last session or 2. Instructors will still be out there to follow if you wish.

What about exhaust springs on the header?

I did mine, wouldn't hurt.

If you plan on racing sunday:

Items to be Safety Wired

Axle Nuts not captured by Pinch Bolts

Pinch Bolts (At least one per leg)

Brake Caliper Bolts

Muffler Clamp and Bracket Bolts (All)

Oil Drain Plug

Oil Filter (External filter by hose clamp around the filter wired to a static point)

All Fluid line Caps (Radiator Cap, Oil Fill Cap, etc.)

jbot

blue03636

apch8r

mykill (Novice)

madcat (novice?)

2wheeler (intermediate)

JCMathis (Intermediate)

grapesmuggler27 (Novice)

Hutch (Novice/Intermediate)

SJC1000rr (Advanced)

rubbersidedown - Novice

Dubguy w/ Josh...(Advanced??)

Jarvis (Novice?)

pending:

Standout-????

ducati guy - probably in, wants to go fast

tyler524 - needs gauntlet gloves

redkow97 - if he doesn't do wera race school in grattan

r1crusher - has a fancy track bike, has no more excuses, but still won't commit

cbrbrent - I'm most likely in

Yeah Novice here, figure might as well start lower than get in over my head. Not to mention new bike, setup, etc. the last thing I want to do is be stupid. If Grattan goes well next weekend I will see what I think about Nelson.

Let me know how the new surface is at Grattan. Can't wait to get up there and ride it later in the season.

jbot

blue03636

apch8r

mykill (Novice)

madcat (novice?)

2wheeler (intermediate)

JCMathis (Intermediate)

grapesmuggler27 (Novice)

SJC1000rr (Advanced)

rubbersidedown - Novice

Dubguy w/ Josh...(Advanced??)

Jarvis (Novice?)

pending:

Standout-????

ducati guy - probably in, wants to go fast

cbrbrent - I'm most likely in

For the record. Josh = ducati guy, and yes.. he still wants to go fast!

And we are doing the race school so whatever class that is.

Edited by Dubguy85

jbot

blue03636

apch8r

mykill (Novice)

madcat (novice?)

2wheeler (intermediate)

JCMathis (Intermediate)

grapesmuggler27 (Novice)

SJC1000rr (Advanced)

rubbersidedown - Novice

Dubguy (Advanced??)

Jarvis (Novice?)

cbrbrent (Novice)

Ducati Guy (Going Fast)

Termin8er (Intermediate)

pending:

Standout-????

Good looking turnout. Only need a few more to commit.

Edited by Mykill

Yeah Novice here, figure might as well start lower than get in over my head. Not to mention new bike, setup, etc. the last thing I want to do is be stupid. If Grattan goes well next weekend I will see what I think about Nelson.

you're going to a track with a fresh repave, and then expecting not to hate Nelson?

...not solid logic :D

On a somewhat related topic, I just watched the 1985 documentary on the 24 hours of Nelson.

I swear parts of the track haven't been repaved since this footage.

http://www.theriderfiles.com/ (scroll down a bit)

• Upvote 1