So, I get an infraction for letting you all know about bikes...

Moto-Brian

So, my thread about the new KTM street bikes was pulled due to supposedly advertising. Everyone knows I work for KTM and I am trying to help at least two sponsors of the site - Mid-Ohio and Ohio Motorcycle. I added Wheelsports because they are in Central Ohio where we have a ton of OR members...

So, I do a detail description of each new bike in MY OWN WORDS and give details as to price, etc and where to buy.

So, I guess if any of you post any new info on any new bikes that are out or coming out, it is an infraction. Post something new about an upcoming Yamaha? Guess it is advertising...

Anyways, not sure why that was done or why I had the thread deleted.

• Downvote 1

If you have a problem with our no spamming rule, you should probably keep it to PMs. Instead, you want to make it public. It's called spamming. Would you have posted details on all of those bikes if you didn't work for them? If you answer yes, think back to previous years. You didn't then. It was a sales pitch, complete with dealer info. If you'd like to become a sponsor again, you're more than welcome. But as of right now, you aren't. We wouldn't let a Suzuki rep come on here and try to sell his new models. In reality, you shouldn't have the ktm link in your sig, nor the line about mounting and balancing, without becoming a sponsor.

eh, I see both sides of this. Casper has to be fair to the paying advertisers and protect the integrity of the "product" that supports the site. Brian's pissed off because he legitimately believes the KTMs are good bikes, regardless of his affiliation with the company, and likely spent a fair amount of time writing up the post to give us the info.

IF Casper was going to change his mind; and I'm not saying that he should, I doubt this was the most effective approach. Sucks for Brian, but it's a valid conflict of interest even if his thoughts on the bikes were honest and sincere.

Maybe because you were providing "detailed descriptions in your own words", a.k.a. advertising products from the company for whom you work, but that company is not a sponsor, nor are you a supporter of the forum/site?

Might it be possible for you, as a <insert job position> of KTM, to use some of your advertising budget to become a sponsor of ORdN? I would guess if you became a sponsor then you could post whatever you wanted to about the Orange company.

When I read that post I didn't really see it as an advert - I saw it as "that KTM guy talking about his bikes again".

***edit - looks like asked/answered by someone above my pay grade already

The thread wasn't deleted, simply moved.

Here's a snippet:

The Adventure 990s:

For 2011, we maintain our trusty 990 Adventure. This is the platform by which a LOT of other companies have now copied or have FINALLY stepped up and offered. We have been at the Dakar race since the start and have dominated the race series. These are bikes designed to be put through almost any extreme. I have personally ridden them on twisty roads, gravel roads, sand covered roads, slick rock and off road. They can handle anything and even though their size may intimidate some riders, the bikes are some of the most well balanced bikes I have ridden.

Very light on their feet, have GREAT protection against the issues facing off road riding, have great weight distribution and offer power when needed. Other features are included on some models, but I prefer the "R" model w/o ABS and softer seat.

In the end, we offer three models of Adventure 990.

First up, our trusty Adventure 990 Standard. Gloss white paint as the only color option and has retained such features as on/off ABS, 106 hp, fully adjustable WPS suspension, lockable storage compartments, 12V accessory socket.

Retail is $14,899.

Here, the Adventure 990 standard is equipped with hard shell KTM Power Parts luggage and crash bars:

90941071d.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Next, the Adventure 990 R. This year, we took and addressed the biggest issue with the R model - seat height. We had so many people wanting this bike for several reasons, but the biggest drawback was seat height. For 2011, we reduced the seat height almost 1/5 inches!

The thing with the R model is that it has a more powerful motor (115 vs the standard 106). We also reduced suspension travel, but it still is an increase over the standard. It now is 248mm of travel front and rear vs the standard's 210mm front and rear.It is also lighter than the standard.

The biggest thing for me is that the R model does NOT have ABS. If you are at all serious about off road, having ABS can hinder what you do. While the standard has selectable ABS, it will still kick back on when the bike is off the ground. The R Model will not have this issue. It has stiffer suspension and with the longer travel, this is a hard core machine that will take you places you had no idea.

Retail is $14,999.

2011ktm990adventurerdsm.jpg

Finally, the Adventure 990 Dakar Edition.

This has been a BIG hit in terms of colors and options. We have decided to acknowledge KTM's dominance of the Dakar series by offering a 2011 Dakar Edition Adventure. It retains all the same features and components that the standard has in terms of ABS, compartment locks, travel, seat height, etc., but adds in the R Model's hot motor.

Additional features are:

-Dakar blue paint

-KTM Orange crash bars

-Updated orange hand guards

-Rally style seat with non slip suede style cover

Retail on the Dakar model is $15,499

ktmadventure990dakardak.jpg

More in the next post....

That is just a snippet of the posts. Each model was detailed. This isn't just a friendly, "he check out this new model!". This is a sales pitch from a KTM representative.

And for the record, this wasn't MY decision. It was a collective decision. An infraction for spamming is an immediate permanent ban. Instead an infraction for excessive post whoring was given, which is only 1pt.

No problem! Just a side note, though... I did a report on the RC8R before I was with KTM. I just decided to include all the models since I have actually ridden them all.

I also thought since two of the three dealers were a site sponsor as well as Mid-Ohio, it was fine.

But, no harm, no foul.

I will just keep all my info to myself or give it to a few other sites that are OK with this stuff.

Just because I work for KTM shouldn't be an issue as it isn't a secrete and I would think the motorcycling members on here may like reading some info on the bikes. I am an insider and thought it was cool to share. Something like the benefit thing you do, Ben where the organization isn't a sponsor, but you promote it...

I also don't see it being any different than a person posting pictures of a new model coming and a cut and paste article describing the bike in detail. Just because they don't work for the brand shouldn't make it any different.

But, your site, your rules. Bummer, but I get it.

I'm out. You can delete this thread too if you'd like.

Maybe because you were providing "detailed descriptions in your own words", a.k.a. advertising products from the company for whom you work, but that company is not a sponsor, nor are you a supporter of the forum/site?

Might it be possible for you, as a <insert job position> of KTM, to use some of your advertising budget to become a sponsor of ORdN? I would guess if you became a sponsor then you could post whatever you wanted to about the Orange company.

When I read that post I didn't really see it as an advert - I saw it as "that KTM guy talking about his bikes again".

***edit - looks like asked/answered by someone above my pay grade already

The thing is that we have been allowed to post our dirt demo days and even Ben has posted he wanted to get out to one of our demos I posted before.

It just seems that if it is not allowed, why now vs then? Also, I have had the website pulled from my signature, but other riders here have posted links to their sponsors like Vortex, Pitbull, etc. That's allowed, but not me. I am sponsored by KTM USA also...

Anyways, it is what it is... Just a shame as I thought you all would have enjoyed it as I went to great lengths to provide detailed info...

Just a side note, unless we did this through Ohio Motorcycle, I am not able to sponsor this site. I want people to go to the dealers and support them. Ohio Motorcycle and Mid-Ohio already do, but apparently, this is not allowed...

What would happen if I sent the text to Mid-Ohio and had them post? They have the demo days and the Race Orange Events... I would also allow Ohio Motorcycle to cut and paste. Is that permitted?

• Upvote 1

The thread wasn't deleted, simply moved.

Here's a snippet:

That is just a snippet of the posts. Each model was detailed. This isn't just a friendly, "he check out this new model!". This is a sales pitch from a KTM representative.

And for the record, this wasn't MY decision. It was a collective decision. An infraction for spamming is an immediate permanent ban. Instead an infraction for excessive post whoring was given, which is only 1pt.

So, where is it now?

No problem! Just a side note, though... I did a report on the RC8R before I was with KTM. I just decided to include all the models since I have actually ridden them all.

I also thought since two of the three dealers were a site sponsor as well as Mid-Ohio, it was fine.

But, no harm, no foul.

I will just keep all my info to myself or give it to a few other sites that are OK with this stuff.

Just because I work for KTM shouldn't be an issue as it isn't a secrete and I would think the motorcycling members on here may like reading some info on the bikes. I am an insider and thought it was cool to share. Something like the benefit thing you do, Ben where the organization isn't a sponsor, but you promote it...

I also don't see it being any different than a person posting pictures of a new model coming and a cut and paste article describing the bike in detail. Just because they don't work for the brand shouldn't make it any different.

But, your site, your rules. Bummer, but I get it.

I'm out. You can delete this thread too if you'd like.

A CHARITY is a far cry from advertising a product you sell that you make money off of. I will ALWAYS let charities advertise for free.

And who are these shops that are sponsors that you keep referring to? You listed:

Central Ohio:

Wheelsports

Ask for Wally or Debbie.

7959 East Main Street

Reynoldsburg, Ohio 43068

614-864-0010

Cincinnati Area:

Clinton County Motorsports

Ask for Brad or Dave.

6002 US 68 N

Wilmington, Ohio 45177

937-283-2220

Cleveland Area:

Cleveland/Akron KTM (Sister store to Ohio Motorcycle)

Ask for Rick or Branden

7300 Fair Oaks Road

Oakwood Village, Ohio 44146

440-735-2000

None of those shops are sponsors.

Mid Ohio School is the only sponsor you mentioned, and they don't sell bikes. When you post about KTM days at Mid Ohio, I have no problem with that. That's not what this was. This was a sales pitch, and you know it.

What if it was posted in the product review forum? Would it

still of been an infraction?

Are you paid by company that makes the product or associated with the company. If not I say you are ok to tell us your unbiased findings.

What if it was posted in the product review forum? Would it

still of been an infraction?

I put it in product reviews as I have actually ridden all of them. Again, the details are my own words and the prices are posted no differently than this post:

http://ohioriders.net/showthread.php?t=73048&highlight=tenere

The poster just provided a link with the same details really. I can write and do a good job in describing things. If I had posted a pic of each model and then a link to details, would that have worked?

The difference is, they don't have vested monetary interest in the promotion & sales of the bikes they're posting about Brian. You're too smart a guy to play that dumb, & have it be believable

The thing is that we have been allowed to post our dirt demo days and even Ben has posted he wanted to get out to one of our demos I posted before.

It just seems that if it is not allowed, why now vs then? Also, I have had the website pulled from my signature, but other riders here have posted links to their sponsors like Vortex, Pitbull, etc. That's allowed, but not me. I am sponsored by KTM USA also...

Anyways, it is what it is... Just a shame as I thought you all would have enjoyed it as I went to great lengths to provide detailed info...

Just a side note, unless we did this through Ohio Motorcycle, I am not able to sponsor this site. I want people to go to the dealers and support them. Ohio Motorcycle and Mid-Ohio already do, but apparently, this is not allowed...

What would happen if I sent the text to Mid-Ohio and had them post? They have the demo days and the Race Orange Events... I would also allow Ohio Motorcycle to cut and paste. Is that permitted?

Sponsors:

http://www.ohioriders.net/index.php?pageid=sponsors

If Mid Ohio School wants to post about their events (or even you as I've said before), that's fine. But a detailed sales pitch of KTM bikes isn't.

Ohio Motorcycle isn't a sponsor. They never have been. They're a shop I really like, owned by a friend of the family. I try to help them out when I can. We've talked about them becoming an actual sponsor. The let us have events there, and we try to help promote their shop.

Again, demo days and other events are a far cry from a detailed sales pitch of every model.

A CHARITY is a far cry from advertising a product you sell that you make money off of. I will ALWAYS let charities advertise for free.

And who are these shops that are sponsors that you keep referring to? You listed:

None of those shops are sponsors.

Mid Ohio School is the only sponsor you mentioned, and they don't sell bikes. When you post about KTM days at Mid Ohio, I have no problem with that. That's not what this was. This was a sales pitch, and you know it.

Cleveland Akron is Ohio Motorcycle. I guess they don't sponsor anymore? I thought they did...

I forgot I had CCM in there.

Mid-Ohio DOES sell motorcycles. They provide a platform that is a selling tool for us and for our area dealers. It may not be a transaction like at a shop, but it does help sell bikes.

I accept the dealer info, but again... People have asked in the past and I have provided that info.

Also, you had no issue whatsoever when I posted about other demos going on... That was KTM promotion just like Mid-Ohio is KTM promotion when I post...

I apologize on the dealership thing, but you could have easily edited it or asked me to do so... You deleted the whole thing...

Are you paid by company that makes the product or associated with the company. If not I say you are ok to tell us your unbiased findings.

I'm just trying to get a understanding because it looks like a grey area. If all bikes we pearsonaly tested by the poster why should it matter who he worked for? Ok I can see the plug for other dealerships.

Cleveland Akron is Ohio Motorcycle. I guess they don't sponsor anymore? I thought they did...

I forgot I had CCM in there.

Mid-Ohio DOES sell motorcycles. They provide a platform that is a selling tool for us and for our area dealers. It may not be a transaction like at a shop, but it does help sell bikes.

I accept the dealer info, but again... People have asked in the past and I have provided that info.

Also, you had no issue whatsoever when I posted about other demos going on... That was KTM promotion just like Mid-Ohio is KTM promotion when I post...

I apologize on the dealership thing, but you could have easily edited it or asked me to do so... You deleted the whole thing...

Big font since you aren't reading:

Nothing was deleted.

I have no problem with events being posted.

The majority of the thread (easily 90%) was advertising for KTM products.

Ohio Motorcycle is not a sponsor. Just a great shop we help out when we can, and they help us out with events.