Stopped by LEO Today..

DAC

At the end of the day, an officer is only goign to stop you becuase they think you're doing something wrong. Whether that suspicion comes from a legitimate reason or not, an officer's experience and instinct is usually very reliable.

If an officer thinks you might be drunk then they'll use any excuse to get you pulled over. Whether that excuse was real or not is a a matter you may raise withthe courts. I will tell you that there is absolutely no reason to waste time pulling over someone that the officer believes is not doing anything wrong.

So if you think the driver has an outstanding warrant are you goign to tell the driver; "Hey, I pulled you over because I remember you and I think you have a warrant... Please sit here for 10 minutes while Radoi gets back to me. She's dispatching 3 departments right now, so it may be a while." Or are you going to try to put him at ease / BS him and say; "Nice car. How do you like like that handling? (keep him talking about cars until the warrant check come back)"

I know about you cop types. :D

Tell me you never got a miranda-free confession by just shooting the breeze with the guy in the back of the cruiser and letting him talk and talk and talk until he opens up... Rather than asking direct questions about the offense that would require a miranda warning and scare him into clamming up.

So just because he's got a badge and a gun, he's damn near infallible, huh? Never mind probable cause for a stop, never mind the guy above OPENLY STATING he pulled people over for no reason at all, fuck all that.

As a law abiding citizen, you (I assume you are present or past LEO), fazer, and any other cop on here are ENFORCERS OF THE FUCKING LAW. You do not MAKE the law, you do not CHANGE the law, you UPHOLD it. If the law states that probable cause needs to be had to make a stop to pull over a drunk driver, you either have it or you don't. If you don't, you DON'T.

I really, really wish we'd take away the immunity clause for prosecutors and law enforcement for egregious violations of civil liberties. I understand why you do it, you do it because you can, because the worse thing that's going to happen to you is you'll get a talking-to, a class on proper procedure, suspension with pay, stuff like that. God forbid the department or the city tries to make an example out of you, the union would go ballistic and file grievance after grievance until nothing got done.

Fuck every bit of that.

• Upvote 1

So just because he's got a badge and a gun, he's damn near infallible, huh? Never mind probable cause for a stop, never mind the guy above OPENLY STATING he pulled people over for no reason at all, fuck all that.

As a law abiding citizen, you (I assume you are present or past LEO), fazer, and any other cop on here are ENFORCERS OF THE FUCKING LAW. You do not MAKE the law, you do not CHANGE the law, you UPHOLD it. If the law states that probable cause needs to be had to make a stop to pull over a drunk driver, you either have it or you don't. If you don't, you DON'T.

I really, really wish we'd take away the immunity clause for prosecutors and law enforcement for egregious violations of civil liberties. I understand why you do it, you do it because you can, because the worse thing that's going to happen to you is you'll get a talking-to, a class on proper procedure, suspension with pay, stuff like that. God forbid the department or the city tries to make an example out of you, the union would go ballistic and file grievance after grievance until nothing got done.

Fuck every bit of that.

well said

So just because he's got a badge and a gun, he's damn near infallible, huh? Never mind probable cause for a stop, never mind the guy above OPENLY STATING he pulled people over for no reason at all...

I'm not a cop, never have been. I think you're being too literal.

But I have made stops on bikes just to say "Man, I had to stop you cause I gotta get a better look at your sweet bike!" I never got anything from the guys I stopped other than a laugh, a great tour of the bike, invites to go ride when I get off shift & even free beer.

OK, before this thread gets stupid... please clarify... Are you being sarcastic here, or do you really stop people without PC just to get a closer look at the bike/car rtc?

I assumed you were being sarcastic / facetious or telling that was just the reason you gave the driver to allay suspicion while you were investigating the REAL reason for the stop. Assuming that the real reason for the stop was legitimate too. (Telling the driver his license plate light is out when you're actually waiting to see if the car comes back as stolen becuase you noticed one of the windows was busted out, etc)

If you pull someone over just to look at the bike, what do you list as your PC when the guy turns otu to be a lawyer and gets all pissed off, or you become aware of a crime he is committing that you would not have been aware of without stopping him? Something his defense attorney will raise. There's too many cameras out there for you to get away with "he was weaving" for much longer.

Edited by Scruit

Noted, but that doesn't diminish my point.

I'm neutral here, not on your side, not on the cop's side. If an officer is pulling people over other than for valid Probable Cause then that's unacceptable. But an officer can tell you something different during the course of the investigation, that's fine, as long as there was a real true honest PC in there.

I'd laugh my junk off if my brother pulled over a car becuase he "wanted to get a close look at a Maserati" only find a dead body in the back seat. That evidence goes bye-bye unless the officer lies and makes up some fake probable case - and then risk his career on hoping there's no video. That's one VERY poisonous tree.

I'm neutral here, not on your side, not on the cop's side. If an officer is pulling people over other than for valid Probable Cause then that's unacceptable. But an officer can tell you something different during the course of the investigation, that's fine, as long as there was a real true honest PC in there.

I'd laugh my junk off if my brother pulled over a car becuase he "wanted to get a close look at a Maserati" only find a dead body in the back seat. That evidence goes bye-bye unless the officer lies and makes up some fake probable case - and then risk his career on hoping there's no video. That's one VERY poisonous tree.

Please, now you're backpedaling. I understand you wanting to support your brother and the LEO's he works alongside and represents, but if you're going to do that, then just say so.

Please, now you're backpedaling.

Well that there proves to me you've not been paying attention. :wtf: If I said a stop without probable cause was acceptable then please quote me. I'll wait.

I was trying to explain why an officer would say one thing about the reason for the stop but the actual reason is something else. But at the end of the day there has to BE a reason that would survive a defense challenge.

Well that there proves to me you've not been paying attention. :wtf: If I said a stop without probable cause was acceptable then please quote me. I'll wait.

Challenge accepted.

At the end of the day, an officer is only goign to stop you becuase they think you're doing something wrong. Whether that suspicion comes from a legitimate reason or not, an officer's experience and instinct is usually very reliable.

coupled with...

If an officer thinks you might be drunk then they'll use any excuse to get you pulled over. Whether that excuse was real or not is a a matter you may raise withthe courts.

You're putting the experience and "instinct" on a pedestal, legitimate or not. In the very next statement, you say that an officer will use any excuse, real or manufactured. You can come out and say you don't find it acceptable, but your rhetoric seems to indicate otherwise.

"Oh Snap" nothing.

"If I said a stop without probable cause was acceptable then please quote me"

I can see where you got confused, but all you did was quote where I said it happens.

To be clear: I don't agree with stops that don't have probable cause. I never said I agree with non-PC stops. Just because I said it happens doesn't mean I find it acceptable, and I never said I find it acceptable.

- If I told you that people drive DUI regularly then I'm not saying I agree with it - just stating a fact.

- If I told you that some mean beat their wives then I'm not saying I agree with it, etc.

I once was pulled over because I "looked scared" when I saw the cop. Cha-ching! "No insurance" ticket. Was "looking scared" PC for a stop? Should I have been stopped? Could I have fought it?

"Oh Snap" nothing.

"If I said a stop without probable cause was acceptable then please quote me"

I can see where you got confused, but all you did was quote where I said it happens.

To be clear: I don't agree with stops that don't have probable cause. I never said I agree with non-PC stops. Just because I said it happens doesn't mean I find it acceptable, and I never said I find it acceptable.

- If I told you that people drive DUI regularly then I'm not saying I agree with it - just stating a fact.

- If I told you that some mean beat their wives then I'm not saying I agree with it, etc.

I once was pulled over because I "looked scared" when I saw the cop. Cha-ching! "No insurance" ticket. Was "looking scared" PC for a stop? Should I have been stopped? Could I have fought it?

Just because you choose to have law enforcement roll over your personal liberties doesn't give them the right to roll over mine. As for your questions at the end: No, No, and Absolutely.

Cop threads on here are just crazy.

Lets face the REAL facts..

A LOT of riders probably dont have the M on their license.. this "cheesy" stop is just an easy way to say "Hey it looks like you dont have a license to ride this motorcycle, here is your ticket and start walking because Im impounding your bike".

PERIOD. /thread already.

A LOT of riders probably dont have the M on their license.. this "cheesy" stop is just an easy way to say "Hey it looks like you dont have a license to ride this motorcycle, here is your ticket and start walking because Im impounding your bike".

PERIOD. /thread already.

what the hell are you talking about?

PERIOD. /thread already.

Not sure where you're going with this either. Maybe A LOT of riders don't have that M - but I do. Never got to the point of him looking at my license though. He saw how fast I pulled the insurance card and reached for my wallet and he said never mind.

This guy, like probably most LEOs, just followed his experience, common sense and instincts. Saw I had a plate, ran it on his terminal, saw my insurance, looked me over and basically apologized for wasting my time.

Point of the thread was a fender eliminator warning and to convey a "good" story about an encounter with the local gendarmerie.

Not sure where you're going with this either. Maybe A LOT of riders don't have that M - but I do. Never got to the point of him looking at my license though. He saw how fast I pulled the insurance card and reached for my wallet and he said never mind.

This guy, like probably most LEOs, just followed his experience, common sense and instincts. Saw I had a plate, ran it on his terminal, saw my insurance, looked me over and basically apologized for wasting my time.

Point of the thread was a fender eliminator warning and to convey a "good" story about an encounter with the local gendarmerie.

...until a LEO on here began admitting to pulling people over without probable cause, just so they can get a better look at their ride. I still find it interesting that no one else is stepping up to defend their actions.