Stopped by LEO Today..

DAC

.. and it turned out not so bad.

So as I'm riding the viffer on my way to church (seriously) I get stopped by a Grandview Heights LEO. I'd been headed south on Riverside and turned left on 5th. I know how heavily 33/Riverside is patrolled on Sunday mornings so I was takin' it easy.

I see the Crown Vic coming west down the hill as I'm going the opposite direction and thot nothing of it since I'm doing 25 (the limit on 5th). Two lights later, the guy's behind me with lights on.

So, I stop and keep my hands on the bars as he comes up on me. (I've read this scenario and want to keep his mind at ease.) He asks me, very politely, to come look at my plate(????)

Turns out, he didn't like my fender eliminator. On the VFR, it does get kind of buried down between the twin high exhausts.

Guy was very polite - to the point of almost being apologetic - and said he really pulled me over because he was thinking I had no plate. Truth is, I think once he was right behind the bike and that I had a plate, he knew everything was cool. But he had already hit the lights and I had stopped. Then he saw a middle aged guy (me) and just checked my insurance and let me go quickly.

So, Grandview cops seem to be as good as they were when I grew up there. It was just about as nice a stop as you'll ever have but a word of warning: fender eliminators might be a trouble spot.

Let's face it. When we remove a stock fender and move the plate we're asking LEO (Like me) and every one else to look twice. For other bikers if to get a "hey that looks cool" But Patrol cops on trafic duty, any thing that draws attention can be taken as "resonable suspicion" or "probable cause" to initiate a trafic stop. DAC, is right to post the heads up. Come up around my way when and if our lay off end and I get back out of jail division and back on patrol, I may stop you... But I have made stops on bikes just to say "Man, I had to stop you cause I gotta get a better look at your sweet bike!" I never got anything from the guys I stopped other than a laugh, a great tour of the bike, invites to go ride when I get off shift & even free beer.

My friends and I were out last night for my buddy's 21st, and we got pulled over before we even made it to the bars. My g/f was our dd and apparently she only had her running lights on instead of her headlights. The guy was really nice. He just ran her license and told us to be safe.

Let's face it. When we remove a stock fender and move the plate we're asking LEO (Like me) and every one else to look twice. For other bikers if to get a "hey that looks cool" But Patrol cops on trafic duty, any thing that draws attention can be taken as "resonable suspicion" or "probable cause" to initiate a trafic stop. DAC, is right to post the heads up. Come up around my way when and if our lay off end and I get back out of jail division and back on patrol, I may stop you... But I have made stops on bikes just to say "Man, I had to stop you cause I gotta get a better look at your sweet bike!" I never got anything from the guys I stopped other than a laugh, a great tour of the bike, invites to go ride when I get off shift & even free beer.

Where do you patrol at??? :D

Grandview Police are the worst. $75 for the luxury of them telling me my light was out. The patrols are horrible by the tracks on 5th. I got a ticket for doing 43? there- on a scooter? Don't get me wrong, I sped plenty on the scooter, but not while coming to a large bump and railroad tracks...

I've gotten six tickets in my life. Four of them were Grandview. Kenny and Kinnear, on Kinnear to turn left onto Kenny southbound. Light turns yellow, with a police car opposite me- his left turn signal on too and in the left turn lane. I take the left. He switches up, turns right and pulls me over. Turning left on yellow when already in the intersection?? I think he was fishing for drunks, so I was given the treatment. Passed it, but STILL got the ticket. For being in the intersection and turning.

I don't want to be a douche like Kasich, but I hate Grandview's police. I really do.

grandview has the same problem as new albany. too many cops in too small of an area, with nothing to do.

new albany = uh oh, someone is going 4 over. all 8 cops on duty need to respond :rolleyes:

Everyone hates LEO's when they get stopped but love them when they need em... If your gonna speed be prepared to pay for it sooner or later if you can't pay for it then better buy a harley... The majority of the cops I've encountered are cool and really appreciate you being nice and polite towards them... Cut them a break and don't get all pissy when you get pulled over might just save you from getting a ticket and after all they are only doing their jobs just like everyone else

• Upvote 1

But I have made stops on bikes just to say "Man, I had to stop you cause I gotta get a better look at your sweet bike!"

So you're in favor of breaking the law and unlawfully detaining citizens just because you wanted a better look at their bike? I don't doubt that the responses you've received so far were positive, but that doesn't diminish the fact that you abused your authority and broke the law. Can I motion you over just because I wanted to get a better look at the shotgun I can see between the seats?

• Upvote 1

Unless it's changed if you are in the intersection "prior" to the yellow you are required to complete the turn. Subjective but you can argue in court...and win. Although I don't condone it my (departed) dad beat a DUI like that.

.. and it turned out not so bad.

Turns out, he didn't like my fender eliminator. On the VFR, it does get kind of buried down between the twin high exhausts.

What brand fender eliminater do you have?

Wondering if I should expect the same to happen to me. (Not that I'm willing to go back to that stock monstrousity)

Unless it's changed if you are in the intersection "prior" to the yellow you are required to complete the turn. Subjective but you can argue in court...and win. Although I don't condone it my (departed) dad beat a DUI like that.

Exactly. I just didn't have the time to mess around and go to court, and taking my time out for going to court costs money too. Pay the fine and feck'em...

What brand fender eliminater do you have?

Wondering if I should expect the same to happen to me. (Not that I'm willing to go back to that stock monstrousity)

Competition Werkes, I think. Was just about the first thing I did when I bought the bike two years ago. Every FE I've seen for the VFR, including the custom ones you'll see posted up on VFRW, put the plate in about the same place.

Competition Werkes, I think. Was just about the first thing I did when I bought the bike two years ago. Every FE I've seen for the VFR, including the custom ones you'll see posted up on VFRW, put the plate in about the same place.

I bet it's about the same place as my 600RR. I'll admit, it's not the easiest to see, but it's there.

I like mine :)

DSC02489.jpg

I bet it's about the same place as my 600RR. I'll admit, it's not the easiest to see, but it's there.

On the 600RR it is definitely buried way under the tail

Not siding either way (even though I used to be one of those "prick" GHPD cops, but here's the law.......no abuse of authority by definition. We all make mistakes too. I've hit the lights before on things like registration stickers that look expired (those damn 7's can look like a 1) only to notice it wasn't when walking up.

4503.21 Display of license plates and validation stickers or temporary license placard or windshield sticker.

(A) No person who is the owner or operator of a motor vehicle shall fail to display in plain view on the front and rear of the motor vehicle the distinctive number and registration mark, including any county identification sticker and any validation sticker issued under sections 4503.19 and 4503.191 of the Revised Code, furnished by the director of public safety, except that a manufacturer of motor vehicles or dealer therein, the holder of an in transit permit, and the owner or operator of a motorcycle, motorized bicycle, manufactured home, mobile home, trailer, or semitrailer shall display on the rear only. A motor vehicle that is issued two license plates shall display the validation sticker only on the rear license plate, except that a commercial tractor that does not receive an apportioned license plate under the international registration plan shall display the validation sticker on the front of the commercial tractor. An apportioned vehicle receiving an apportioned license plate under the international registration plan shall display the license plate only on the front of a commercial tractor and on the rear of all other vehicles. All license plates shall be securely fastened so as not to swing, and shall not be covered by any material that obstructs their visibility.

No person to whom a temporary license placard or windshield sticker has been issued for the use of a motor vehicle under section 4503.182 of the Revised Code, and no operator of that motor vehicle, shall fail to display the temporary license placard in plain view from the rear of the vehicle either in the rear window or on an external rear surface of the motor vehicle, or fail to display the windshield sticker in plain view on the rear window of the motor vehicle. No temporary license placard or windshield sticker shall be covered by any material that obstructs its visibility.

(B) Whoever violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor.

Effective Date: 01-01-2004

I would be the first to jump another officer's butt for stopping someone to just check out their ride as THAT is a obscene abuse of power. Now, that doesn't mean I haven't pulled up next to someone in a cruiser and said, "nice bike" or "car".

i have heard some pretty bad shit about the grandview pd. My experience was seeing lights in my rear view mirror after taking a right off 33 onto grandview ave. I pulled over to yield to the emergency vehicle and they pull up behind me (wtf). A female officer walked up and informed me that i did not have a front license plate on my vehicle. I said yes, there is a plate mounted to my front bumper. She walked up and verified this then walked back to my window and asked for my license and registration> Implying this is routine since she had me stopped (for no cause other than her own error) and if everything was clear i would be on my way (wtf?). She ran my shit and about 10 min later i was informed to have a nice day.

My impression is that grandview pd has nothing better to do than harass their citizens. Never had any problems like this from UA pd or columbus pd .02

i have heard some pretty bad shit about the grandview pd. My experience was seeing lights in my rear view mirror after taking a right off 33 onto grandview ave. I pulled over to yield to the emergency vehicle and they pull up behind me (wtf). A female officer walked up and informed me that i did not have a front license plate on my vehicle. I said yes, there is a plate mounted to my front bumper. She walked up and verified this then walked back to my window and asked for my license and registration> Implying this is routine since she had me stopped (for no cause other than her own error) and if everything was clear i would be on my way (wtf?). She ran my shit and about 10 min later i was informed to have a nice day.

My impression is that grandview pd has nothing better to do than harass their citizens. Never had any problems like this from UA pd or columbus pd .02

At the end of the day, an officer is only goign to stop you becuase they think you're doing something wrong. Whether that suspicion comes from a legitimate reason or not, an officer's experience and instinct is usually very reliable.

If an officer thinks you might be drunk then they'll use any excuse to get you pulled over. Whether that excuse was real or not is a a matter you may raise withthe courts. I will tell you that there is absolutely no reason to waste time pulling over someone that the officer believes is not doing anything wrong.

I would be the first to jump another officer's butt for stopping someone to just check out their ride as THAT is a obscene abuse of power. Now, that doesn't mean I haven't pulled up next to someone in a cruiser and said, "nice bike" or "car".

So if you think the driver has an outstanding warrant are you goign to tell the driver; "Hey, I pulled you over because I remember you and I think you have a warrant... Please sit here for 10 minutes while Radoi gets back to me. She's dispatching 3 departments right now, so it may be a while." Or are you going to try to put him at ease / BS him and say; "Nice car. How do you like like that handling? (keep him talking about cars until the warrant check come back)"

I know about you cop types. :D

Tell me you never got a miranda-free confession by just shooting the breeze with the guy in the back of the cruiser and letting him talk and talk and talk until he opens up... Rather than asking direct questions about the offense that would require a miranda warning and scare him into clamming up.