if you carry a firearm i got a question.

kawi kid

i didnt even realize civilians could get tazers, but now that i think back i think chief mentioned them in his chl class....30 seconds is a long time, are they as strong as law enforcement ones or are they tamed down?

I think they are just as strong, and they shock for a longer time. Civilians last about 30 seconds, LE about 5-7 seconds.

As a LEO I have OC pepper spray, a baton, and my Sig on my belt.

Pepper spray sucks when you use it because, like others have said, you usually get more people than you intended to and you usually get some on yourself. Having said that, though, it's a pretty damn effective tool, usually. Some people are NOT affected by pepper spray, it just pisses them off more.

I don't carry pepper spray off-duty but, I probably should. Even a small shot of it, is better than nothing.

I usually just have a knife or two. (One in either front pocket if for some reason I am unable to use one hand or the other.)

I also recommend hiding a few razor blades in your hair and or mouth, and a hand cuff key or two around your waist (you never know when you'll be arrested for bull-shit reasons and need to make an escape.)

i actually hadnt thought about it until you made this thread - but i might just pick up a second gel blaster for myself when i get one for my girl...guess it cant hurt to have a "first option" aswell

Im just a prophet delivering a message ;)

But really I wanted to challenge peoples thinking with this thread.

Nice to have options, but here is the thing...if you give yourself too many options when the time comes choosing the right one may cause you to hesitate too long. Having a knife, taser/stun gun/ spray, and a handgun would probably confuse you to the point of not drawing any of them. When you are actually to the point of drawing a weapon, most situations you see coming, but the ones you don't when you have the fight or flight reaction adding one more option to protect yourself may have the reverse effect.

Regardless if you feel threatened and use a less than leathal option you can probably find yourself in legal trouble as well, maybe not as serious but all the same.

I don’t admit any of my strategies to anyone.

Not saying that I carry, but if I did it would be used only for the worst-case-scenario. I realize that a CHL is not a permit to shoot or kill—only a permit to carry a concealed handgun to defend oneself and or another innocent. If drawn and fired, most probably will be going to jail until all of the details are ironed out…And almost definitely going to incur several thousand $ in legal fees to maintain that it was the only option.

Not saying I have any skills, but if I have Krav and Aikido training—that would be my primary resource to remove myself from the situation.

Not a fan of pepper spray, as one could just as easily disable oneself, especially if discharging into the wind…I would probably prefer a tac light, especially since criminals tend prefer low-light situations to operate. 120-or-so lumens to the eyes will temporarily blind an attacker even in daylight. It also generally tends to put them in a disoriented defensive position allowing for a good strike/kick/stomp. The light can also become a weapon of opportunity at this point. A good strike to the clavicle with a flashlight can disable the limb.

Just sayin'...

• Upvote 1

Kawi has an official Barman utility belt complete with mace, knives, guns, cuffs, double mint, rape whistle, lace fingerless gloves and anti deer fender whistles.

Be prepared or go home!

Not saying I have any skills, but if I have Krav and Aikido training—that would be my primary resource to remove myself from the situation.

Just sayin'...

You're obviously confused.. this does not remove you from any situation. It only gets you more involved.

Nice to have options, but here is the thing...if you give yourself too many options when the time comes choosing the right one may cause you to hesitate too long. Having a knife, taser/stun gun/ spray, and a handgun would probably confuse you to the point of not drawing any of them. When you are actually to the point of drawing a weapon, most situations you see coming, but the ones you don't when you have the fight or flight reaction adding one more option to protect yourself may have the reverse effect.

Regardless if you feel threatened and use a less than leathal option you can probably find yourself in legal trouble as well, maybe not as serious but all the same.

I understand what you mean but if you are in say a sporting event and some guy has to much to drink and don't like that you are rooting against his team. At first its not noticeable but as the drinks continue its more apparent. Games over he is pissed cuz his team sucks and stroke of bad luck winds you and him up in the same parking lot but durring the whole walk he is persistant in badgering you. When it comes to a point where he actually confronts you or me I would already have enough time to know this guy is drunk and im almost to my car so just hit him with some spray to buy time to get to my car out of harms way.

That to me seems more logical than taking lethal measures. Like I said earlier, guns are for ax wielding maniacs, mace is for annoying drunks.

If you follow the laws and try to avoid the situation like you are supposed to you should have enough time to make the choice of which implement to utilize.

Not confused. One could freeze up and be a victim...Or be an opponent.

Getting a way from the conflict would be my priority. I'm sure most criminals would prefer the victim to not fight back. Getting away is easier if the attacker 'loses interest' or physically cannot follow the victim.

Kawi has an official Barman utility belt complete with mace, knives, guns, cuffs, double mint, rape whistle, lace fingerless gloves and anti deer fender whistles.

Be prepared or go home!

Lol utility belt is to open. I cut the bottoms out if my pockets and sew larger ones in. Lol

This was a good thread to get me to do some thinking. I always carry a small pocket knife, but it is a tool and nothing more. I'd no more reach for my 1.5 inch blade than reach for a pillow. I really don't see myself in a scenario affected by this thread. Naive, I know.... The restaurants that I would go to that serve alcohol generally don't lean themselves towards a bar fight. Bars are not my scene anymore with a wife, three kids, and too many gray hairs. I do see the danger of leaving the establishment and getting into trouble on the way back to the car (not a stretch as we frequent Short-North restaurants), but I would be carrying at that point and would be armed. I'd better think about this one for a bit.

…I would probably prefer a tac light, especially since criminals tend prefer low-light situations to operate. 120-or-so lumens to the eyes will temporarily blind an attacker even in daylight. It also generally tends to put them in a disoriented defensive position allowing for a good strike/kick/stomp. The light can also become a weapon of opportunity at this point. A good strike to the clavicle with a flashlight can disable the limb.

This is actually a GREAT idea! I actually carry one with a "strobe" function which is even better than a steady stream as it can help to disguise your movements too. I carry one on my LE belt but, really didn't even think of using this for anything other than work...

They also make lights with a "beveled" edge which are great for striking with.

Ive carried a knife all my life ever since I was in scouts growing up. Not as a weapon but as a tool.

+1, I always have a blade of some type. Mostly Kershaw speed assist type knives. A S.O.G. or a Benchmade from time to time. So it is not your typical widler and I dont sharpen sticks with it at cookouts. It has a razors edge and if it doesn't it stays at home. I carry it for one purpose only. It stays clipped where it is conveinent to get and actually practice getting to it from different angles and positions.

Recently I have started toting a set of brass knuckles as well.

I dont always carry my gun. Only when I know I am going to a shady area or traveling to a craigslist deal. Poor kid about crapped himself when he came to buy my last quad and when I was getting the rest of the stuff that went with it he saw the H&K on my hip. I told him, hey I dont know you and unfortuenelty dont trust you either. Especially when you and 4 of your buddies roll out of a crew cab dodge in my driveway at 10pm at night and I am the only one here.

Since all the craziness has started about carrying into a bar. My uncle says everyone is on edge and warned me that the cops could be a little more iffy if the issue should arise. So to me its not worth the extra hassle anymore. Dont get me wrong though. The 1911 stays packed and racked in the cage.

Ive carried a knife all my life ever since I was in scouts growing up. Not as a weapon but as a tool.

Same here, I have a switch blade I carry with me everywhere including work, I use the excuse "I use it to open boxes" which I do but I also have it as a weapon if it came down to it.

Be prepared or go home!

He should have had the deer whistles on his helmet, not the belt. :nono:

Where might we get these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just google "civilian taser". Gun shops sometimes have them too. Be warned, they are not cheap. Also verify the manufactures warranty, I'd guess not all of them will replace it if you use it.

Sent from my computer using my keyboard.

I don't have the patience to read the entire thread, but CCW does not include knives, batons, asps, etc

That's what bothers me, I still carry a pocket knife but it's small enough not to be considered a deadly weapon.

i carry a machete in my boot....is that legal?

Lol actually in theory, you could say you use it for multiple jobs(fish fileting, jungle brush wacking, or whatever your creative mind comes up with) as long as you dont say it is a weapon. If you do in fact get in trouble with it they may confiscate it based on circumstances but otherwise its "legal" because it is not being used for destructive purposes....

Lol actually in theory, you could say you use it for multiple jobs(fish fileting, jungle brush wacking, or whatever your creative mind comes up with) as long as you dont say it is a weapon. If you do in fact get in trouble with it they may confiscate it based on circumstances but otherwise its "legal" because it is not being used for destructive purposes....

Anybody wanna buy a .40? I have found my new weapon of choice.

I don't have the patience to read the entire thread, but CCW does not include knives, batons, asps, etc

That's what bothers me, I still carry a pocket knife but it's small enough not to be considered a deadly weapon.

So you only carry a firearm then?