Kids on motorcycles...

Casper

I agree that its a family decision. I do not take passangers of any age on the bike period because I'm not ready to take on the responsiblity for their safety on a bike. The kids want to ride on it and when I'm ready to let them, I'll make that decision. That is my decision alone. I do not want anyone making it for me. I already have the government trying to tell me what I can feed my kids, how big they need to be and still be in a car seat(which is BS), and threatening that they can't ride their own dirt bikes and go karts because of lead content in the alloys used in the components. (What, they are going to lick the carburator?) If they want to go somewhere with this, then make it mandatory for any minor to wear a helmet when riding on a vehicle. That may already be the law, i'm not sure. I am just sick to death of people trying to tell me how to raise my kids and either trying to swing public sentiment or passing stupid laws to enforce things they have no business with. Ok Rant over!

I think it's fine. It's up to the parents. Are they skilled enough to have a passenger? Is the kid smart enough to know how to be a passenger? Heck, I was probably about 10 when my dad let me ride on the back of his '89 Kawasaki Eliminator 900.

I have been taking my 10 year old daughter on rides since she was 8. She must follow the same gear rules that I do, regardless of the heat it includes jacket, helmet, gloves, and jeans at a minimum. She loves it everytime we go out, and I stick to local and back roads, no freeway.

If you think about it how many kids under 7 race dirt bikes? I understand dirt is more forgiving, but I see no problem with this. Hell I'll get critics yelling at me bit I've had an 11 year old on the back of my Kat doing 55.

Why would critics yell at you? This is the point. You are doing nothing wrong! If you and your child are OK with the risk, then others should be as well. What gives anyone else the right to tell you how you are allowed to transport your kids around?

As far as the 7 year olds on dirt bikes, the government is trying to underhandedly take that away by using the lead law they passed that was intended for toys. AMA has been fighting this for a few years but the issue comes open again this year and has to be voted on again. This had a significant impact on the motorcycle industry a couple years ago. Congress could not just make a law banning minors on dirt bikes, so they tried to back door it by using this lead law so dirt bikes could not be sold.

Hell in a couple months I won't even be able to buy a standard light bulb anymore because Congress decided it wasn't good enough for me and I need to replace it with something more expensive and has special handling instructions if it breaks. I don't even remember anyone debating this in the press.

I'm just saying we can't let people jump on the bandwagon on this and agree with the reporter. Before you know it they will pass a law that will make it so you CAN'T take a minor with you.

Edited by Bellboy1

My daughter did 100 miles on the back of my CBR saturday. Shes been riding on the street since she was 5. Dirt since 3. It works very well for us.

My boy hasn't even been born yet and he's got two toy motorcycles to ride on. You know how I'll be.

Actually, one of the biggest problems with young children on the back, is that they tend to fall asleep back there. There are rigs that strap them in on your jacket. Break away type, of course. But that way they won't fall off.

I take my 8 and 12 yr old out on the old Ninja all the time. They got all their own gear and we don't get on the bike without it! I've only taken them on local rides though as the turnpike is like 45 mins away. I don't really like riding 2up though but, I put up with cause the kiddos love it!

i've taken my 10 yr old around the neighborhood. that's about it. She'd love to go farther. she's been on 50's since she was 3 and has had a trx70 since 5 after i sold the xr50.

I was worried about this with Isaac' date=' but every time I put the FZ through a corner he'd ask me if I was sleeping, or did I just suck at riding. :dunno:

Now, it's my mission to toss that little bastage off in a corner. :lol: (no, not really)[/quote']

:lol:

My mom and grandmother used to ride often when I was younger, so I started extremely early. Some of my earliest memories was riding from Columbus to Cincinnati and back to visit family when I was about 5. Not something I personnally would do with my child. Shorter rides and proper gear and I probably would take them out on the road at around 7 or 8. I believe the type of bike matters too. The one I was on didn't have one of those back seat rest, only a handle bar, but I wasn't allowed holding that until I got older. A lot of sportsbikes don't even have that much.

Why would critics yell at you? This is the point. You are doing nothing wrong! If you and your child are OK with the risk, then others should be as well.

The debate becomes "when does a child have the mental capacity to accept the risks?" Is 8 or 10 or even 13 old enough to be "OK with it?" (I'm not suggesting I have that answer).

The law allows parents to make that choice any time after the kids can touch the passenger pegs. That makes it legal, it doesn't mean you're not doing anything wrong.

it's like serving your kids alcohol. It's legal, but under certain circumstances, it's still not appropriate. Personally, I think it depends on the particular child's capacity to understand the risks involved. More gear minimizes those risks, but does not eliminate them.

I don't like seeing kids on the back of a bike, but I assume the rider knows the child better than I do, so i usually keep my mouth shut.

I have an 04 Kawasaki Concours, I bought it two years ago with just under 1000 miles on it. I have 13K on it and I think that my 9 y/o has ridden over a third of them with me. We both wear helmets and jackets and gloves and jeans(I know,jeans are not saftey gear.). I am guilty of freeways. I do love the looks we get by the soccer mom's. The best was when I showed up at his school with his jacket and helmet! Ultimatly my wife was the only person I had to show that he was capable of riding.

I did a backflip with my 10year old on the back of a bike designed for one person. Is that bad?

Hell, I hope not.......I've had my daughter on the back of mine busting 150mph wheelies while she jumped from the tail, heelclickin' over my head and double-birdflipping every car......but at least we were both wearing proper bodystockings and regulation matching headbands

I took my 10 year old son out for his first ride two years ago, just around the neighborhood and such. Then last year we took some rides out to friends homes that didn't require highway travel. I agree it's dependent upon the young rider's capachity to understand what and why they are to do what they do. Zach has known me to ride his entire life, and has spent countless hours with me in the garage, time at the races at Mid OH, and watching any m/c show we can find asking questions all the while. If he didn't get it, he'd have yet to ride with me.