New Battery Question

Meanie

No, this is not a thread about which battery to buy.

I already bought a new one.

Anyway, The guy at Batteries Plus checked the new battery before I left the store and said it was a little low and to put it on a battery tender. I got the battery installed today and put it on the tender. it's been on there for about 6 hours. I just disconnected the tender and turned the key and it does nothing. With the tender connected the lights come on and I could probably start it (haven't actually tried). So my question is, how long will it take for this battery to be charged, or do you believe there is something else wrong with it. I had 11.?? volts before I hooked it, not sure what it is at now, I will check it later wife wants to go for groceries.....

The old battery had about 12.6V after I pulled it out of the bike but it was fluctuating, the lowest I say it go was about 6V. It started giving me issues the end of last year, most of the time it would start up without a problem, but occasionally it would take awhile or drain the battery before starting. I haven't had an issue with it this year until Saturday. At one of the stops it actually took longer than normal to start and had me concerned. Hence, the reason I got a new one.

Thanks in advance.

the battery is fully charged when it reads 14.5 to 15.1v right after the charger is removed.

It will quickly drop to 13.5v, and then slowly drop to 12.5v, and need charging again.

Each of the 6 cells will sustain a 2.1v for a total of 12.6v

• 1 month later...

I had a problem like this and realized that if the battery is too low the battery tender jr won't work. I accidentally left my bike on over night. I put the tender on overnight and the next day, nothing happened. Left it on the tender for another day and still nothing. Charged it on my regular 12v - 6amp/2amp charger on the 6 amp for a few minutes and then switched it to the 12v/2amp setting for an hour. After an hour on the normal charger, it worked. Put it on the tender for a little bit to finish the charge.

Alienpi is right - if a battery is completely dead, you almost need to give it a boost first. Maybe leave it hooked up to a running vehicle (monitored of course) via jumper cables for a few minutes just to let the more powerful charging system help out. We used to do this when an automotie battery was doornail dead. Just don't go boil an egg while this is going on - you need to be there to watch both batteries to make sure they don't pop.

• Upvote 1

I know this is an old thread-

Unless its a AGM battery which is better suited to deep cycle, if you ever read 6V from a battery it needs replaced not charged. A deep discharge will significantly lower the life and damage a lead acid battery.

It may accept a charge and might work for a little while but its definately on borrowed time