Fuel Economy

C-bus

EOC is the MOST effective way to safe fuel, the idea is not to waste potential energy.

if you're on a motorcycle, it's even easier...

grab the clutch, snap the kill switch off then on... once you get to your target speed at the bottom of the hill, slowly release the clutch...

win win win.

Most effective and most safe in this case are at the opposite ends of the scale. Just because it is the most effective does not mean you should be doing it. This method is really just an accident waiting to happen. But I am not going to argue this anymore, my method is safe and effective, might not be the most effective but for real world every day driving/riding it works best.

Edited by JStump

• 3 weeks later...

I am currently bikeless(running that is...) I always got a few more mpg using high octane 90+ helps keep em running clean too! 20cents per gal or more on 5 or so gals isnt gonna kill my wallet.

89 GS500 45-50mpg

03 CBR600F4i 38-44mpg

83 VT750 50-52mpg

I need to build a diesel and get 100+mpg like these guys!! http://www.dieselbike.net/

tho some are just single cyl diesel engines with a Torque Converter/CVT cruising at 50-60mph getting 100+mpg sound great to me!!

Here is the ultimate build: http://www.suckindiesel.com/?page_id=2061 Triumph Tiger + Turbo Diesel Smart Car 0.8litre engine = $15,000 100+mpg!

Military has had these for awhile, supposedly releasing a "civilian" model, basically the same 667cc single cyl diesel engine on a KLR 600 frame. Claim 135mpg!!! $TBD...

Edited by jonan

• 3 years later...

(yes, i realize this is a thread from 2012)

I've been tracking mileage for just over a year on my car, and this week, I decided to do a 1-tank experiment and slow down by 10mph.  I typically drive 75 pretty much everywhere.  The idea has been to drop down to 60-65 and see if it really has that much of an effect on fuel economy.

I'll post conclusive results after my next fill-up, but preliminary results appear significant.  I normally get 330-380 miles on a tank of gas, but it's not uncommon for the first half tank to be 200 miles.  I expect the gauge is inaccurate, but I also believe it to be consistent.  Anyway, at the half-tank mark doing 60-65, I had over 280 miles on this tank.  I'll do the real math after I fill-up again, and then maybe run a second full tank through to confirm the numbers.

But what I'm saying is, the best way to save gas is just to slow down...  Drag increases exponentially with speed.  10mph slower is as much as 23% more efficient (per the internet).  We'll see if that bears out in real-world driving conditions.

• Upvote 1

I see what you are seeing with both my vehicles.  They both have the aerodynamics of a brick.  My truck doesn't change too much as I normally don't cruise much over the speed limit but i have tried your experiment with drastic results.  With my Buick I know that at 65ish I can get around 24-25mpg.  If I push that up closer to 75-80 my economy drops down to 18mpg.  Normally though, dammed the tree huggers and full speed ahead. :)

49 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

My car told me it's time to change the engine oil. It's been almost 10k miles, so I should listen. It also informed me that I've averaged 39.3 MPG over the course of that almost 10k miles. 

My car doesnt get 1/2 that.

It certainly bears out on my bike. I pick up 5-7 mph dropping from 80 to 70. Highway speeds kill bike mpg's, at least if it is a couch with the big fairing and lowers and donuts and coffee maker and stuff.

[quote post="1487605" timestamp="14584007/>Take that. And I can haul 8 fat bitches to the Dairy Queen for sundaes while towing 7000 pounds of their beauty care products and snacks for the after party.

I wish my Sub got what your hoe gets.