I-70 in Licking County, motorcycle fatality

jporter12

According to the local Fox affiliate, the motorcycle rider hit a vehicle that was stopped at the side of the road, and the rider has been pronounced dead. They're still waiting for further details.

http://www.newarkadvocate.com/article/20110905/NEWS01/110905003/Interstate-70-closed-both-directions-after-2-crashes?odyssey=mod|breaking|text|Frontpage

ETNA TOWNSHIP — Interstate 70 is close in both directions after two separate crashes occurred at about 8:15 p.m. Monday.

The first crash was reported at the 120-mile marker of I-70 westbound, east of Ohio 310, and involved a motorcyclist who was taken to a hospital, according to the Ohio Highway Patrol.

The second crash was on eastbound I-70 around the same area.

Traffic will be routed from Ohio 158 onto U.S. 40 then onto Ohio 310, according to the Ohio Highway Patrol.

10tv is reporting that speed and alcohol are likely factors and that he wasn't wearing a helmet. :(

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2011/09/05/columbus-70-closed.html

Investigators said that a deadly motorcycle crash on Monday night that forced the closure of Interstate 70 for several hours was likely caused by alcohol.

Jason L. Cox, of Westerville, was pronounced dead at Grant Medical Center in Columbus, according to the Ohio State Highway Patrol.

Cox, 36, was not wearing a helmet at the time of the crash, troopers said.

Speed and alcohol are suspected to be factors in the crash, according to the patrol.

The news later said it was a truck pulling off the right side of the road. A co-worker that was out that direction that day, said he hit a "boom truck", whatever that is. I guess that means a wrecker or truck with heavy lift rig.

But it's pretty clear that when the medivac helicopter showed up, 3 or 4 more cars wrecked on the other side of the freeway, and another medivac helicopter had to be called for that wreck.

It sucks for his friends and family, but I feel nothing for the rider, ff the rider was indeed riding under the influence.

Drinking and riding is stupid, drinking and riding at a high rate of speed is stupider, drinking, riding at high rate of speed, and not wearing a helmet is by far the STUPIDEST thing a moto rider can do. I'll save my remorse for someone that deserves it.