Guy rides Detroit to Prudhoe Bay... Pics

Casper

Alaska is on my schedule for next summer if you're interested.

I would love to make that trip but don't think I would make it easily...

Older bike for one but in great shape.. only get 150m till reserve 200 if I push reserve....

If only I could take 3 weeks off. 2 weeks I could swing...

I cried off last trip because my volusia had a range of just 100 miles per tank. Now I get 300.

Right now the plan is two weeks, with a third week built in as a buffer for breakdowns, sightseeing, etc.

I am doing it next summer, but just one way. Ride up, fly back and ship bike home.

We should chat. Maybe ride up together. I have another guy wanting to make the trip as well. He also was supposed to do it this summer, but he also had a baby this summer. LOL. I'm planning to ride up through the US, and home through Canada (or vice versa).

but he also had a baby this summer.

No he didn't, his wife did.

I could be talked into round tripping it if it could be kept to two weeks but man that is a lot of miles a day. My plan was skirt around Chicago, then up through Fargo ND and up towards Winnepeg. Hang a left and follow the AlCan to Fairbanks. Wasn't going all the way to Prudhoe. There isn't anything up there...you can't even get to the bay becauxse the oil companies have it land locked. I was just going to hit the Arctic Circle sign on the Dalton Highway and turn back around.

My brother-in-law and I are starting the research on riding the AlCan next year. He lives in Chicago, turns 50 next year and is currently bikeless. My thought was we fly into Canada, rent bikes and ride it, then fly home. But I've never done this. Anybody done a fly and ride before?

My thought was we fly into Canada, rent bikes....

About 200 per day to rent a bike in Canuckistan. Limited area's to rent. You will need to fly to Vancouver and rent there...or rent in Ontario. In between is pretty much nothing.

I'm planning on doing something similar for my graduation present to myself next summer. Looking for te bike over winter

coughVFRcough :D

This is something I'd absolutely love to do. Vacation and & money wouldnt really be a problem. My issue is the fact I'm too much of a vagina (see bad wrist and bad shoulder) to attempt a round trip. I might be able to handle a one way and ship the bike back kind of deal but even then its iffy. Still though at some point I want to cross this off the bucket list somehow

Riding the AlCan, from what my friends have related, is a tough one. The road is beattohell and the bugs are godawful. There are l-o-n-g stretches between fuel stops so planning is of utmost importance. A friend of mine rode the Hoka Hay race last year and I have talked to several who have made the trip up and back, both on bikes and in cages. They all recommend the ride but everyone's bikes needed major work upon their return and breakdowns were a plenty even for the best prepared rider.

Alaska is our last land frontier and quite an endeavor to undertake. Far out!

I sure would love to make that trip, but its always timing and cashola.

:D Im looking daily but people seem to price them high but they seem to sell at those prices. Im looking at possibly a WeeStrom as well. Waiting for the right deal to come along.

eh yea I agree with you there. Some reason people decide to overprice the shit out of them. I got a pretty damn good deal on mine so they can be had, its just few and far between

• 1 year later...

With my "retirement" a mere 74 days away I think a trip to alaska is in order. Doing this alone would work however a buddy or two would make things a bit safer/more fun.

Lets put on some big boy pants and do this!

and my final argument for doing this now, Cmon'

With my "retirement" a mere 74 days away I think a trip to alaska is in order. Doing this alone would work however a buddy or two would make things a bit safer/more fun.

Lets put on some big boy pants and do this!

and my final argument for doing this now, Cmon'

Keep me posted on this; have the time to do it now. But this summer might be tight.