How to Winterize a Liquid Cooled Bike?

Jcarlson

This is my first winter with a liquid cooled bike - 2006 Kaw Concours Zg1000. I'm getting ready to store it forthe winter. It'll be in my shed so there will be no heat. What do I need to do to winterize it besides pull the battery? Should I hit the Pony and have the rad flushed and filled?

Any tips are greatly appreciated.

Jim

don't worry about your battery. they only need charged once a month if stored in temps below 60 (the cold preserves a charge) says yuasa's website.

my battery is the stock battery yamaha installed in it. I never charge it over winter. (no battery tender either)

and def use gas stabilizer. that's the most important thing if anything.

Ah, the beauty of liquid-cooled bikes. It doesn't need much. I'd change the coolant if it was pretty close to the regular service intervals for doing so. Also, if you're not planning to run it at all, full tank with stabilizer and running the bike to circulate it through the fuel system will be fine. As APCh8r mentioned, just make sure exhaust and other orifices are plugged so you don't get mice or birds in the airbox. It seriously does happen if a bike sits in a place that's accessible to critters; I've see a few air filters turned into animal burrows on service bikes.

Make sure you top the tank with fuel and Sta-bil, sea-foam or any other stabilize but make sure that the stabilizer is run through the motor. Clean the bike. I usually coat the bike with wax and or wd-40 to prevent surface rust. Remember most bike are shipped with cosmoline. Don't cover the bike with anything that will hold moisture. Cover all holes to prevent animal homes. I have heard some people use a bar of soap to prevent rodents from coming into their classic cars. I'm not sure about that. Finally make sure its secure so that it won't fall over. Stands are the best but I have had a bike fall off its kickstand because the tire went flat. Not what you want to see after a long winter is your bike on its side.

Edited by c7fx

I just make sure there is antifreeze in it, top off the gas tank, and put the battery on a tender in the basement. In the spring I usually siphon that tank of gas out, put it in my truck and give the bike a fresh fill, but it's probably not really necessary.

I just make sure there is antifreeze in it, top off the gas tank, and put the battery on a tender in the basement. In the spring I usually siphon that tank of gas out, put it in my truck and give the bike a fresh fill, but it's probably not really necessary.

You're just a bottle of stabilizer away from saving yourself quite a bit of work man, I run Lucas fuel additive a tank or 2 before the season ends for a bit of top-cylinder lube and it cleans/stabilizes the fuel and fuel system all winter too - My simple way to prep before winter is to perform a last ride oil change, take a ride with a tank fill on my way home - as soon as I get back I drop additve in the tank and let it idle through the system while I put chainwax on the chain since its still warm, shut down the bike and put it up on stands, then hook the batt tender up - done. Then when the first rideworthy day breaks in spring, all that needs done is unplug the tender, pull the stands and check tire pressure......ride

Oh yeah - I forgot about Sta bil. I let my Suz 850 sit one winter without it. Cost me an arm. leg, and my left nut to clean the carbs. I just never had a liquid cooled bike before so I wasn't sure what to do about that system. I bought it this spring and the PO 'says' it was serviced; but who really knows for sure? I guess it's the same as a car.

I never thought about the critters either. I stored my other bikes in the garage in the past so I never had to think about that, but in the shed I guess I should. I actually have three bikes to store this year - that's why the shed. I aint parking my truck outside in the winter when I have a garage. I HATE scraping in the morning!! I'm originally from upstate NY so when it comes to snow and ice removal at 6:00am at 15 degrees I've been there, done that, aint doin it no mo!!

I'll have the bikes on their center stands so flat tires and such won't be an issue til spring.

Pokey - I'm across from WNHS - Spring & County Line area. Where you is?

Just because the bike has anti-freeze' date=' doesn't meant the specific gravity is up to snuff. If you can't remember the last time you had the coolant flushed, then you're definitely due. I'd get it knocked out just to be safe.

Stabil.. I've never used it, personally.. but don't have anything bad to say about it.[/quote']

Same same here. Never used an ounce of Stabil and have nevr had issues the following spring. Doens't mean it isn't worth doing, though. Coolant if its been a while, and I save the oil change for the spring before the enging gets turned over for the very first time.

Oh yeah - I forgot about Sta bil. I let my Suz 850 sit one winter without it. Cost me an arm. leg, and my left nut to clean the carbs. I just never had a liquid cooled bike before so I wasn't sure what to do about that system. I bought it this spring and the PO 'says' it was serviced; but who really knows for sure? I guess it's the same as a car.

I never thought about the critters either. I stored my other bikes in the garage in the past so I never had to think about that, but in the shed I guess I should. I actually have three bikes to store this year - that's why the shed. I aint parking my truck outside in the winter when I have a garage. I HATE scraping in the morning!! I'm originally from upstate NY so when it comes to snow and ice removal at 6:00am at 15 degrees I've been there, done that, aint doin it no mo!!

I'll have the bikes on their center stands so flat tires and such won't be an issue til spring.

Pokey - I'm across from WNHS - Spring & County Line area. Where you is?

I live very close to WCHS, Off Maxtown and Hilmar Drive. I was just razzing ya a bit for storing bikes, I am one that rides all year. If the temps are above freezing and the roads are dry I will ride. I would be happy to store a bike for you if need be, and my garage always seems to stay above freezing in Winter. I have 2 liquid cooled bikes, but I reckon that really doesnt matter since they are being ridden. I keep the tanks filled to the top and add stabil no matter what, that is just a good habit to get into come Winter.

Just because the bike has anti-freeze' date=' doesn't meant the specific gravity is up to snuff. If you can't remember the last time you had the coolant flushed, then you're definitely due. I'd get it knocked out just to be safe.

Stabil.. I've never used it, personally.. but don't have anything bad to say about it.[/quote']

you really should because gas is only good for like 2 months

Pokey - Yeah, I know where you be, sorta. I should say i know the area. Oh and about the Razzin - no worries mate!! I didn't take any offense - thick skinned like an aligator.

I kept my old Honda out one year. I rode on Christmas eve once and mid January. It was fun and all but if you can't fast or far then it's not a whole lot of fun, but it's still neat to get weird looks from people when you're riding and it's 18 degrees and snowing - LOL!!

I wanted to go riding today but I had to paint the shed I just built before it got too cold and wet out.