UC Davis Pepper Spray - What Really Happened

chevysoldier

Here's a thought, don't/can't want/afford the tuition at a school, go to a cheaper fucking school. I didn't want to pay for LEO classes at osu so I chose to go to c state. Very happy I did because I got to spend the extra money the gov't gave me for school on other shit, like gas/exhaust for my bike. It's a win/win.

^this

I wonder what their studen code of conduct says about such actions. If you don't like the price of tuition don't go to that fuckibg school . I wonder how many of those kids are actually us citizens. I will give the LEO credit, they were calmer than I would have been in that situation

Stupid hippies, I wanted to see the cops open up with those pepper ball guns. Maybe next protest....

Because shooting non-violent protestors is sooo cool. Nice Internet tough guy.

The amount of cognitive dissonance that some of you have regarding Constitutional measures just floors me.

Congress shall make no law ... abridging the freedom of speech ... or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Seriously, how hard is that to understand? Unlawful assembly on a college campus park? Give me a fucking break.

It softens my viewpoint of the UC Davis PD in that they did make a good-faith attempt to explain to the protestors that they needed to move from the spot they were sitting so that the police can be freed. This, however, does fuck-all to explain why peaceful protestors demonstrating under Constitutional authority were thrown in the paddywagon to begin with. Speaking of them, UC Davis dropped all those charges anyway. Looks like UC Davis is just like every other police force out there, if someone's pissing you off, arrest them, charge them with disorderly conduct (or some similar incredibly nebulous charge), throw them in jail for the maximum amount of days until an arraignment hearing (ask the NYPD about this), rinse and repeat.

Fuck everything about that.

• Upvote 1

Here's a thought, don't/can't want/afford the tuition at a school, go to a cheaper fucking school. I didn't want to pay for LEO classes at osu so I chose to go to c state. Very happy I did because I got to spend the extra money the gov't gave me for school on other shit, like gas/exhaust for my bike. It's a win/win.

what the hell are you on about?

Deserved it.

Chant "f the police", ignore their warnings, block them so they can't leave (after asking them to leave), then yeah you deserve to get peppersprayed. All of that sound hostile and not very peaceful to me. What did you expect would happen? They told you. What did you want them to do? Leave? They tried. What other choice did they have? Wrap it all up with "now we'll give you a moment of peace"....? I thought this was a "peaceful" protest to begin with?

Congress shall make no law ... abridging the freedom of speech ... or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

But I don't think it was peaceful anymore. Peaceful doesn't just mean I don't have any weapons to shoot, it means not being hostile but they definitely were hostile toward the police.

i dont really see how anyone could watch that video and reasonably conclude the police were in any danger or feared for their safety in any way. maybe if the protesters all had bats or something, that would make sense then... but that was clearly not the case.

the courts have already ruled that using pepper spray against non violent protesters is excessive, and this video does not change that.

http://archive.ca9.uscourts.gov/ca9/newopinions.nsf/4AABD133965012F888256B3D0083536D/$file/9817250.pdf

the use of pepper spray on the protestors' eyes and faces was plainly in excess of the force necessary under the circumstances, and no reasonable officer could have concluded otherwise.

Goes to show there are always two sides to a story.
Always 2 sides to a story

actually, there are three. there's your side, my side and then there is the truth, which lies somewhere in the middle.

Edited by John

Protest...fine....people get arrested and then they block the way for the pd=asking to get arrested. Personally, I would have told them to move and if they didn't I'd have gone hands on and begun arresting them for failure to comply and obstruction. Then move them out of the way and into the middle until there was an exit route is established.

Wouldn't be the first protester I've arrested this year...

Protest...fine....people get arrested and then they block the way for the pd=asking to get arrested. Personally, I would have told them to move and if they didn't I'd have gone hands on and begun arresting them for failure to comply and obstruction. Then move them out of the way and into the middle until there was an exit route is established.

Wouldn't be the first protester I've arrested this year...

im sure they expect to be arrested, and thats all well and good... i mean, thats kinda the point isnt it? i mean, its not much of a protest if the cops say leave, and they all just say okay, sorry. :dunno:

but that still does not change the fact that it has already been ruled that pepper spraying non violent passive resisters constitutes excessive force.

I'm not condoning what the UC officers did by any means. I think the biggest issue there was a lack of training and possible procedures. If one doesn't deal with a situation much its difficult to respond accordingly. Initially the pd did well and held safe in the middle while giving advisements. Then the guys coming in from the outside went a bit too far. Yes, the actions of the crowd were growing hostile and surrounding the police like that increases tensions.

You never use a fogger style OC as direct spray as seen in the video. But as I said, I would have just gone hands on and then once someone resisted spray them. If it hits anyone else near-by..well casualty of war.

@sjc was it the people protesting the energy summit?

No. It was sodexo/osu against sweatshops both times. I worked the summit also and those folks were respectful and pretty fair. They made their point, protested and never got arrested. Though they didn't really know who all was there watching them :)

I'm not condoning what the UC officers did by any means. I think the biggest issue there was a lack of training and possible procedures. If one doesn't deal with a situation much its difficult to respond accordingly. Initially the pd did well and held safe in the middle while giving advisements. Then the guys coming in from the outside went a bit too far. Yes, the actions of the crowd were growing hostile and surrounding the police like that increases tensions.

You never use a fogger style OC as direct spray as seen in the video. But as I said, I would have just gone hands on and then once someone resisted spray them. If it hits anyone else near-by..well casualty of war.

Good perspective here, Steve. I am of the opinion that once they decided to encircle law enforement that they were teetering on the edge of it no longer being a peaceful protest. Its no different that if they'd have backed the police into a corner. I figured once they sat down to block the vehicle access that they'd be arrested for obstruction. If they resist then garnish them in liquid cayenne and bake in the pokey for 24 hrs or until their lawyers arrive.

That's my thoughts. Once they trapped the LEOs, their peaceful protest began turning to passive aggressive. The protesters out numbered the LEO and if they followed protocol, they had no lethal defense if something serious should arise and it could have very quickly.

This is why I tend to get off the "jump to conclusions" mat.

Time and alternative views tend to have a way of explaining the full story.

Cheech is right though... still doesn't explain why the police were there trying to break up their Constitutional right to protest to begin with...

:wtf::nono: Nothing like adding more debt for "priorities".

This is why I tend to get off the "jump to conclusions" mat.

Time and alternative views tend to have a way of explaining the full story.

Cheech is right though... still doesn't explain why the police were there trying to break up their Constitutional right to protest to begin with...

:wtf::nono: Nothing like adding more debt for "priorities".

Because the school chancellor asked the campus police to remove them from blocking the square. That's all I know. A superior told them to do something, even against citizens, and they did it. My tinfoil hat has some holes in it. I need to make it better.