New project. Church van!!!

Moto-Brian

So, sold the dually and decided to go the route of 1 ton vans and having a few mods done to it to make it somewhat cool.

I picked up a van that was literally used by a church. It looks very church-like or something you'd ride in from the airport to a hotel. Overall, is in excellent condition and should be a great platform.

Ford E-350 with a V10. Avoided the 6.0 diesel as it just has too many bad checks against it or needs a shit pile of work to make dependable. The V10s are a great choice for the torque and heavy duty tranny in them. I really wanted a 7.3, but those are unicorns and if you find them, they are clapped out or have too many miles for the money they want for them...

Here she is in her currently church-like state...

newvan.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Here are some options I am leaning towards...

600lukedraper1.jpg

600mcmullen34.jpg

The first one has a 6" lift and the second one a 4" lift.

The thoughts are two fold. The first is to have U-Joint Off Road do a 4x4 conversion. It's pretty pricey and you need to source some tough to find components. Dana 50 or Dana 60 front, transfer case, etc... 4x4 would be really cool...

The second and most likely idea is a pre-runner build where it is lifted by a company out west named Action Van. They do some really sick stuff and make them look essentially the same as the two pics I posted...

Probably put a spare on the back like the FJ and a roof rack, etc also.

agree.

could have just put a big cap on the truck for enclosed hauling on race weekends

Yeah, but the caps I liked on mine were the same height as the cab and that wasn't capable to haul any MX bikes and sport bikes.

I know everyone is into trucks and I've always owned one. The benefit to the van is that I can haul 2-3 bikes easily and they are not exposed to the elements. I hauled a Berg from one dealer to another and it looked like a salt block once I arrived.

Again, to haul them in a truck, I have to get the farmer raised rear cap and that looks terrible and less sleek than the same level sized caps... With them, we can get MX bikes in, but we need to roll the bars down and that sucks...

Plus, this thing can haul the trailer easily as well and we max out capacity to haul bikes and riders.

As a Saudi prince, I thank you for your future gasoline consumption.

Honestly, it isn't much worse if not the same as the dually was. Plus, diesel is $.80 plus more than gas and along with the maintaining costs associated with diesel, the cost of operation is excessively high...

But, that said... I already miss my 7.3...:cry:

Yeah, but the caps I liked on mine were the same height as the cab and that wasn't capable to haul any MX bikes and sport bikes.

I know everyone is into trucks and I've always owned one. The benefit to the van is that I can haul 2-3 bikes easily and they are not exposed to the elements. I hauled a Berg from one dealer to another and it looked like a salt block once I arrived.

Again, to haul them in a truck, I have to get the farmer raised rear cap and that looks terrible and less sleek than the same level sized caps... With them, we can get MX bikes in, but we need to roll the bars down and that sucks...

Plus, this thing can haul the trailer easily as well and we max out capacity to haul bikes and riders.

here you come with logic and shit....down with the van, needs moar truck :D lol

Honestly, it isn't much worse if not the same as the dually was. Plus, diesel is $.80 plus more than gas and along with the maintaining costs associated with diesel, the cost of operation is excessively high...

But, that said... I already miss my 7.3...:cry:

im curious...my diesel gets like 20mpg, vs like 14 with a comparable gas...so the mpg vs increased fuel cost pretty much balances out...but im curious what you mean about "with the maintaining costs associated with diesel, the cost of operation is excessively high"....my maintenance costs have gone down switching from a 5.4 gas to a 7.3 ... less maintenance (all i do is check the air filter and change the oil...no more spark plugs or wires/COPs to mess with)... i havent had any mechanical issue at all besides a CAMP sensor - which Ford gave me for free (didnt use the one they gave me, its in my glovebox as a spare...ordered a better one online)...i guess you could make the argument of oil changes costing more, but i would say that bit of difference would be offset by no longer needing to do plugs/wires...heck, i only put like 16-18k on my truck a year, so my oil only gets changed 2-3 times a year ...i change it 7500-8500 with M1 TDT, independent oil tests show it still lubricating at 10k, but i stay lower to be safe...overall, switching to diesel to save money on maintenance wasnt my goal or even a huge deal, but i have noticed less general repairs and cheaper overall cost/yr than with my old gas truck

sorry to derail - you had your truck longer than i did, curious what excessive costs youre talking about.....sure, injectors might go bad etc...but if you look at the mileage you get from injectors, transmission, turbos, etc its usually longer than a gas motor even lasts lol

Edited by Steve Butters

here you come with logic and shit....down with the van, needs moar truck :D lol

im curious...my diesel gets like 20mpg, vs like 14 with a comparable gas...so the mpg vs increased fuel cost pretty much balances out...but im curious what you mean about "with the maintaining costs associated with diesel, the cost of operation is excessively high"....my maintenance costs have gone down switching from a 5.4 gas to a 7.3 ... less maintenance (all i do is check the air filter and change the oil...no more spark plugs or wires/COPs to mess with)... i havent had any mechanical issue at all besides a CAMP sensor - which Ford gave me for free (didnt use the one they gave me, its in my glovebox as a spare...ordered a better one online)...i guess you could make the argument of oil changes costing more, but i would say that bit of difference would be offset by no longer needing to do plugs/wires...heck, i only put like 16-18k on my truck a year, so my oil only gets changed 2-3 times a year ...i change it 7500-8500 with M1 TDT, independent oil tests show it still lubricating at 10k, but i stay lower to be safe...overall, switching to diesel to save money on maintenance wasnt my goal or even a huge deal, but i have noticed less general repairs and cheaper overall cost/yr than with my old gas truck

sorry to derail - you had your truck longer than i did, curious what excessive costs youre talking about.....sure, injectors might go bad etc...but if you look at the mileage you get from injectors, transmission, turbos, etc its usually longer than a gas motor even lasts lol

If you getting 20mpg on a 7.3, you are one of very few as they typically get about 17-ish not towing anything. The dually was getting 15 as it had 4.10 vs the 3.73 you find in SRW trucks... That's vs the 13-15 on the V10... Non towing...

$.80 more a gallon means you pay almost $29-$30 more a tank and are only getting 2-3mpg better. On a full tank with the 7.3, you'd get about 540 per tank and about 468 on the V10... That's 72 additional miles and for almost $30 more, that's not equal to the V10. That $30 will get you about 9 more gallons or 115 or so more miles on the V10...

Then you work the oil changes... 15 qts of oil on the 7.3 vs 6 qts on the V10. All things equal, that's over double the cost. Not to mention the oil filter costs...

Fuel filter changes on the diesel at every other oil change and that's additional as the new diesel fuel requires you to do this.

Also, you really need to run an additive to compensate for the new fuel. Also, even though you should and don't, you should be in the winter to prevent geling and help with the winter additives they put into the fuel up north...

Then, two batteries vs one.

Basically, the savings I will receive on this V10 vs my 7.3 are pretty astonishing...

A-Team that mother out. :)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTzdptmTCDTzvJ2dVpGF4vphvttLNKp04B6oruBOEZ3c0s4NzZwWg

Dude, I've always wanted to have a van like that!!!

In all seriousness, I am talking to my buddy and thinking of doing PPG's BMW M3 matte black on the thing. Murder it out and cause nothing but grief to everyone around with a badass exhaust, tuner, intake, etc package from Banks...:D

Not the proper terminology anymore? Sorry man. I run black wheels on every vehicle I have including the trailer! I have always wanted a matte black properly painted vehicle.

The PPG stuff is actually more than painting it gloss black... I am thinking to have Paul paint the RC8 this year matte black and gloss black panels...

Not the proper terminology anymore? Sorry man. I run black wheels on every vehicle I have including the trailer! I have always wanted a matte black properly painted vehicle.

The PPG stuff is actually more than painting it gloss black... I am thinking to have Paul paint the RC8 this year matte black and gloss black panels...

Any color with flattened/matte clearcoat > any other color ever. IPS is assembling a car for someone right now that is a matte royal blue and the color is the bee's knees.

Do they not make 4x4 vans anymore or are they just harder to find?

Quigley is what most people think of as they actually work hand in hadn with Ford and get the vans new off the line and convert.

However, they are assembly line produced and the components aren't as good as they could be. Especially if you decide to go off road...

The best company right now and one that is getting a ton of traction is U-Joint Off Road. Chris over there is super cool and they build their shit at twice the durability and for a lot less... The value of a 4x4 van is crazy. You'd get it all back and then some... But, it is pricey...