New project. Church van!!!

Moto-Brian

I actually use an E-350 for my track days and it's perfect. If I go myself, I just ramp the bike up in there and there's more room than you could need. Actually, it's an amazing fit for a single bike because the hook-clamp rails that are fixed to the frame of the truck for the seats are in the perfect location for tie-downs for a bike. Just un-clamp the seats and clamp down the bike. It's like it was made for it. If I go with other people, just tow a trailer along too.

Also I can attest to the hauling ability of that drivetrain/chassis in the E-350. We had a trackday where my bike was in the back, and we had two other bikes and generators & gear in a ridiculous 26' trailer (the only one we could borrow that weekend) that was made for a collector car hauler, and it towed all that shit with 3 people no problem.

These things may look cheesy, but it gets that job done, no dicking around.

And mine is used as a day-care transport during the day, so I may have you beat on the church van. I have to remove candy wrappers and crayons to put bikes in...

My buddy, that died a few years back, had a custom can made. Labeled as a ford not a custom. Paid for it up front. To get a F350 chasis with a van body. 7.3 Powerstroke motor with the F350 suspension and 4x4.

It was pretty bad ass but he paid out the ass for it.

I (with lots of help) did a similar project back in ’88. My goal was a “ski-van” to take my friends and me and our gear from the Boston area to the White Mountains in New Hampshire.

We put a 78 Econoline extended van body on a 79 F250 4X4, V8, 4 speed drive train. I got the van for free from a high school, and paid $1200 for the pickup (which was already lifted but needed tires).

The metal cutting was done with O/A and all welding was done with an AC stick welder.

All total, it was about two weekends of work and an extra $1000 or so for misc, parts, a van interior and beer. It was loud as heck inside and the fabricated transmission tunnel let fumes in, but it got my friends and me back and forth to skiing many times.

I gave it to a friend when I moved to Ohio in ‘90. I heard in ’96, it had an honorable death by fire in a grocery store parking lot.

• 4 weeks later...

So, have got a few updates and the ball is rolling along.

Got the windows tinted at Xpertint in Amelia by Sir Steve Shields. Does a fucking awesome job and is as professional and perfect as it can ever be. Made the thing look amazing...

Before pic at the start of the thread, but here it is with tint:

photoemo.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Yesterday, received a skid full of yummy goodness!

skidofparts.jpg

Here are the parts for the lift. The workmanship is absolutely amazing. So damn good and so above the traditional stuff guys are using to lift their vans...

liftkit.jpg

Here's a couple of examples of the welding that goes on. Nothing is cast and nothing is done half ass:

welds1.jpg

welds2.jpg

Did the shock upgrade also for all around:

shocks.jpg

And the steering stabilizer setup:

steeringstabilizer.jpg

Did the rear wheel spacers to give it an equal stance front to back. Also helps with handling and allows for larger wheels and tires...

spacersa.jpg

Did some cosmetic upgrades also. Front brush guard hand made by Action Van. Same workmanship as seen in the lift kit.

lightbar1.jpg

Lights go on top of the main bar like so:

lightbar2v.jpg

Bought some fender flares to widen the look and to protect the body from debris from the bigger wheels and tires...

fenderflares.jpg

Also got a spare tire carrier from a company called Aluminess that does these for the vans in all aluminum. Pretty amazing stuff and will allow the spare to be hauled around like what you see on Jeeps and like my FJ:

tirecarrier.jpg

Last but not least in the kit, I got some new wheels. American Racing's ATX wheels in 17s with Teflon coating. All 5 are gonna look sweet!! Will be wrapped in some beefy skins!

wheels.jpg

Pretty much it for now. Hoping to start this thing next weekend and have it done soon. I'll leave the stocker wheels and tires on for winter and then have the good stuff on for Spring. Will have the wheels and tires on initially to get it aligned and setup and will take pics once completed!

Both looks nice ,what will be mileage with this big tires ?

Dunno. Don't really care. If I did, I would have bought a Nissan Leaf and quit with hauling anything a long time ago...

In all seriousness, not much worse than the diesel got. But, again... I didn't buy it for MPG concerns.

Dunno. Don't really care. If I did, I would have bought a Nissan Leaf and quit with hauling anything a long time ago...

In all seriousness, not much worse than the diesel got. But, again... I didn't buy it for MPG concerns.

Are you gearing down for those big tires? I went with 33" tires on my Bronco and found it has a huge impact on torque, although I could cruise at 85 all day on the freeway. I don't do 85 offroad so I geared it down to 4.56. Ford 8.8 at the back, Dana RR44 at the front. Evened everything back out again just fine.

You using this to take your bike to the track?

• 5 weeks later...

So...

Got everything to a point it is looking completed. Just a few touches which I'll cover below.

First of all, Jon from here is a bad ass dude for the help and the hook up on getting the lift on. Trust me, it wasn't easy!

The lift is well designed for sure. The pieces were heavy duty and honestly, a few things were slight overkill. Especially since I will not truly off road the van at all. But, the parts were designed to be used as such.

We got the van on a lift and started into it. Many things were pretty rusty and fairly tough getting off. The ol' 1997 chassis had some wear and tear, but wasn't too awful bad considering the year.

We had some trial for sure. The shocks are a pain in the ass!! Getting the old ones off took a lot of time and patience as well as blood and sweat! Thank god we all had current Tetanus shots!!!

The actual easy parts were the control arms, larger brackets, etc. A few issues in regard to using existing bolts, etc., but the guys have done many of these and we got it sorted.

I have since added cargo van bumpers that I had painted with bed liner. I also put on the front brush guard and the spare tire carrier.

I cut out the rear carpet and set up a wheel chock, but need to figure out the whole bike transport deal. I just need to figure out where I want tie down points and where to put chocks...

I have been running the granny wheels and tires as I have been waiting for tires since I had rims ready. I got the tires mounted this week and today picked them up and had the guys get them mounted on the van.

The rear wheel spacers make a HUGE difference and the van rides butter smooth!

Shitty camera phone pics and has a ton of road grime, but thought I would snap a couple to show it off.

Only thing left is interior stuff and figuring out what I want to do with running boards or if I want rock rails or a step pad, etc...

Van2.jpg

Van1.jpg